Light-O-Rama Forums

Can you program multiple props in superstar

upponrequest

I recently upgraded from s3 to the latest and greatest s5 and am implementing a mostly pixel display. Because of all the changes from s4 to s5, does anyone know if you can, or how to program multiple props in superstar?

Hopefully someone (default maybe) will be able to jump in with a better answer...

There may be a way with proper grouping, but I have not found it reliably yet.  This is one of my major issues with SuperStar integration into S5.  I have used SuperStar exclusively for the past three years and almost exclusively since 2012.  When I sequence, I frequently sequence most props at the same time.  For example, a morph on my pixel tree will be copied and adapted to become a morph on my arches, and again for the roofline, and again for the eves.  Can't do it that way in S5 (at least not that I've found).  This means that when I am fully doing everything in S5 (expected next year), I am figuring that the change in SuperStar implementation with S5 is going to result in each sequence taking five to 10 times longer to sequence. 

This year is sort of a hybrid.  Essentially all my 2017 sequences were modified entirely in SuperStar for my 2018 changes (primarily that related to changing my pixel tree from 12 x 50 to become 24 x 100 pixels).  I also "fixed" a bunch of issues resulting from having scenes that involved multiple props so that they are now separate scenes.  They worked fine, but will need to be separate for the last stage of migration.  Then exporting them in legacy format, and importing them into S5.  I had originally planned on painstakingly copying from one instance of SuperStar (not running via "Insert SuperStar Effects") into a second instance of SuperStar (running via "Insert SuperStar Effects") so that I would be fully converted so that SuperStar effects would be on Motion Effects rows and fully able to take advantage of S5, but simply don't have the time.  That part will happen next year.

6 hours ago, upponrequest said:

I recently upgraded from s3 to the latest and greatest s5 and am implementing a mostly pixel display. Because of all the changes from s4 to s5, does anyone know if you can, or how to program multiple props in superstar?

Yes you can. However it depends on a couple of issues.

1. Your License level for Superstar - ie. how many pixels you are licensed for in SS.

2. The size (pixel count) of the props you want to sequence in SS at one time.

Example: In SS, I am licensed for 40ccr's which is 6,000 channels, I have 8,850 RGB channels total. This means I can only sequence a combination of certain props not exceeding 6,000 channels at one time in SS. If you purchase a higher license that equals or exceeds you current channel count, then yes you can. The trick becomes setting up a Preview file that you will understand in SS. ie. what lines are what props, etc...

In this thread there is some good info about SS license levels and channels counts. See my posts in this thread.

I made a tutorial of how SS see's your Preview file and how to setup one up for use with SS. It was made for another Forum member using his props, but the basics are there to show you how. This tutorial was gear toward those of us who have sequenced in SS for years and did not want to lose any of those files (.sup files). If you don't have this worry then it should be helpful to understand how to setup a Preview file in S5, that uses any combo of props in SS.

See the tutorial in this thread, see if that helps you.

Alan...

Edited by default

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/13/2018 at 11:00 PM, default said:

Yes you can. However it depends on a couple of issues.

1. Your License level for Superstar - ie. how many pixels you are licensed for in SS.

2. The size (pixel count) of the props you want to sequence in SS at one time.

Example: In SS, I am licensed for 40ccr's which is 6,000 channels, I have 8,850 RGB channels total. This means I can only sequence a combination of certain props not exceeding 6,000 channels at one time in SS. If you purchase a higher license that equals or exceeds you current channel count, then yes you can. The trick becomes setting up a Preview file that you will understand in SS. ie. what lines are what props, etc...

In this thread there is some good info about SS license levels and channels counts. See my posts in this thread.

I made a tutorial of how SS see's your Preview file and how to setup one up for use with SS. It was made for another Forum member using his props, but the basics are there to show you how. This tutorial was gear toward those of us who have sequenced in SS for years and did not want to lose any of those files (.sup files). If you don't have this worry then it should be helpful to understand how to setup a Preview file in S5, that uses any combo of props in SS.

See the tutorial in this thread, see if that helps you.

Alan...

Awesome! Thank you!! Basically for S5 v.512 and not having s4 previews etc. you just need to create a group in the master preview, and not from the column on the left.