Light-O-Rama Forums

Taking the Pixel Plunge ! Questions

captainron19

Hey guys well i finally decided to take the plunge into Pixels.   Just ordered my first setup.   Going with a 10' Pixel Tree and a Falcon Board.  800 Pixels .   So here are my questions..... (Please be kind as I am new to this LOL)  

1.  Plan on using Pixel Editor so basically I open up the LMS File that I want to incorporate Pixels in to directly in the PE Program correct? Or should I start with "New" - "Musical Sequence" even though my LMS file is already created ? Where I create a single prop (in this case Pixel Tree)  I assume I just have to create the prop once as it stays connected to the program itself.?

2.  Once done and i save the file I was told to "Save Intensity Data" and that will attach the pixel sequencing to my LMS file?   I did a test and noticed an additional line of data at the bottom when I opened the file in the SE so i assume i did something correct.

3.  If I wish to edit the file where I added the effects, do i simply just re-open the LMS file in the PE ?   I noticed it made a PE file also but not sure what purpose it serves.

4.  I run my show on my desktop PC and plan on doing a lot of programming on my laptop .   Both computers have the pro version installed so what steps do I need to do with both computers to assure they are setup the same way with regards to the PE?   Do i just create the same prop in both or can i export the prop and place it into the other computer.

Thanks in advance..... I am sure I will have a ton more questions when it comes time to hook things up to begin testing

3 minutes ago, dougd said:

Upgrade to S5 and do it all in one place?

Agree.  Much more seamless integration between the S5 Sequencer and Motion Effects (what used to be Pixel Editor).

Really?   Have not even looked in to the S5 version.   What does it offer?   Would my current LMS files be compatible with S5 to add pixel sequencing into them?

Checking on my current license it reads...

Your license does not cover the latest version, 5.1.*. To use this version, you will have to purchase a license renewal.

However, you can continue to use version 5.0.* or lower without renewing your license.

Is this different that what you guys are speaking of?

Edited by captainron19

5.1.2 is the current production release for S5.  5.0.x was the various beta releases of S5.  Since your current license does not cover updates to 5.1, you would need a renewal to get to the production release of S5.

With that said, S5 makes the integration between Sequence Editor, SuperStar, and Pixel Editor (to use the S4 terms you are familiar with) much easier.  There is a bit of a learning curve, and it's getting close to crunch time.   As such you will have to make your own evaluation on time availability.  S5 makes it FAR easier to have segments of a sequence that are sequenced in SE and other segments in PE (again, using the S4 terms) and others in SuperStar (if you use that) - even for the same props.

Yes, your current .lms files will be read into S5 and converted to .loredit files.  Once converted to .loredit format, you can't go back - HOWEVER, your original .lms files will still be there un-altered.  So if you convert a sequence to S5 format and give up because you don't have time to learn it this year, your original S4 .lms files will still be there, so you CAN go back to S4 that way.

25 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

With that said, S5 makes the integration between Sequence Editor, SuperStar, and Pixel Editor (to use the S4 terms you are familiar with) much easier.  There is a bit of a learning curve, and it's getting close to crunch time. 

Yup, I also ditto all you said.  I love S5 and would never want to go back to S4.  The integration and use is so much easier once I got used to the changes.  It was definitely worth the investment in time for me.  Part of what took me longer to learn it is the current lack of documentation on S5.  Good documentation could have probably saved me hours of experimentation.  Hopefully that is coming soon so I can learn even more tricks.  Thanks to the dev team for making a big improvement.  It took me about 20 hours of time to get all my sequences set up properly in S5.  Importing was easily.  Reassigning things the way I wanted it and adding more effects is what too the extra time.   I'm all set for the season now.

Edited by Richard Hamilton

Thanks for the input guys.   I like the idea of having normal sequencing and Pixel editing in the same software. Gonna give it a shot and download the S5 - just have to update my license since i already have Pr - no need for Super Star in my opinion. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think I’m going to add pixels too. I have mostly used the pre made sequences on the LOR site. Will I be able to add pixels to those sequences, or am I starting from scratch?  I have used both styles of sequences, those you can change and those you can’t 

Goldie, I would assume that the sequences that you can not alter will remain that way, but the sequences that you can change can be changed and your pixels added to them.

• Like 1