Light-O-Rama Forums

DUMB RGB window frames

Al Saunders

Hi Everyone,

I am planning on adding 8 channels of dumb RGB pixels around my windows and garage door this year. My question is how well do white PVC frames work with the bullet pixels mounted into the back side of them? Whereby the pixels illuminate the inside of the frame. The other thing is, based on the size of my windows the frames around the windows alone and not including the shutters is 16' but the pixels I'm looking at are 50 nodes at 3" intervals for a total length of 12.5'. So one set of 50 per window wouldn't be enough I'm thinking. I guess I would need two sets per window and mount the pixels in 2" intervals to give a full look.

I'm assuming when installing them I shouldn't glue them in just in case I need to replace any at a later time. Maybe zip tie both ends of the wires going in and out of the pixel. Any advice and/or pictures would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Al

Take a look at the web page for my CCP arches.  Other than being smart vs your dumb nodes, very similar.  I would highly recommend using PEX rather than PVC.  When I tested PVC, I found that it substantially altered the color (towards yellow).  PEX has far less impact on the color and light transmission.  Illuminating the inside of the pipe looks really cool.

http://newburghlights.org/CCP_Arches.html

Also click the link to videos and watch the first on listed (Carol of the Bells). The arches don't do anything for the first 40 seconds, but then get busy.

I 100% agree with Jim's suggestion to use PEX.  The effect is great.  A couple years ago I built a fan using dumb LED strips inside 1/2 inch white PEX, folding the flex strip inside the tube so I had lights 180 degrees apart filling the inside of the tube (the width of the flex strips was just about the same size as the ID of the PEX tube).  Advantage to this approach was I did not have to drill a hole for every pixel, and the finished tubes were sealed on both ends to eliminate moisture.  This was not my idea - I saw it here some time ago by another member.  The 12 volt flex ribbon I bought could be broken at 3 inch spacing if needed, so you could make segments at just about any length you need.  I used a nylon screw at one end where it looped around in the tube so to not cut through the flex circuit traces.  I bought the RGB LED strips from China, and they were under $10 for a 15 foot length (which made 7 1/2 foot tubes).  The one downside is PEX is more flexible than PVC, but with proper support it is workable especially around a window frame.

RGB fan1.jpg

I’ve got one of those large 1/2 round windows 30 or so feet up from the ground bu 20’ when in dining room.

What o did was take 3/4” grey sch 80 pvc and forced it into the frame. I have a screw on each end holding it in place.

The heat from the sun will make it hold the shape in time for Christmas 

I will use a 90 reg elbow on each end and a straight section at the base.

I have a jig to drill holes makes it easy.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

I used coro/boscoyo strips to mount my pixels around all windows/doors/roof outlines. Used the strain relief tab on the ends of strips and secured with wire ties to screw hook.

3rd year now with no issues.

Thanks for all the tips and advice. I was thinking of going the PEX route but then thought of the square pixels and surface mounting them to PVC. I guess it's a matter of choice and the look. Either surface mounting and seeing more of the pixels or putting inside PEX and having the glow of the pixels from within. What I really don't want to have to do is cut ribbons to make the corners. So I'm going to go with either the bullet or square pixels.

Again, thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

Al

5 hours ago, Al Saunders said:

Thanks for all the tips and advice. I was thinking of going the PEX route but then thought of the square pixels and surface mounting them to PVC. I guess it's a matter of choice and the look. Either surface mounting and seeing more of the pixels or putting inside PEX and having the glow of the pixels from within. What I really don't want to have to do is cut ribbons to make the corners. So I'm going to go with either the bullet or square pixels.

Again, thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

Al

They also make rectangular ccr pixels are in a plastic waterproof shell with a hole on each end. They have wire in between. That is what I purchased for my windows.

i am not home right now but if interested can provide you with the info.

That seen d like the easiest way for me. Since the wire between each gives me the flexibility for the corners and I can cut off any excess and just silicone that he wire ends to keep water out.

JR

Hi JR,

Thanks for the idea. That sounds interesting, can you either most more info here or send me a message with the info and maybe a photo or two?

I really appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Al

25 minutes ago, Al Saunders said:

Hi JR,

Thanks for the idea. That sounds interesting, can you either most more info here or send me a message with the info and maybe a photo or two?

I really appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Al

Will send PM with my #

JR

23 minutes ago, Richard Sonnier said:

How far is spacing for windows using pixels.

The pixels I will be using our the re tangle type I mentioned above

I am just gonna bump them against each other and see what they look like. I am hoping to make the switch from LEF to them for Christmas

JR