Light-O-Rama Forums

Any modifications needed hardware-wise whenever using WS2811 LED's instead of CCR?

Kennan

So as of my current understanding of how the hardware setup(assuming I'm using CCR for my LED's) works, its computer, CAT5 (Ethernet) cable connects to controller (pixie 8)from the computer, connect LED strips to outputs on controller, tada. (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.) 

I am using WS2811 LED's instead of CCR due to the fact of them being cheaper, and I am just wondering if there is anything else hardware-wise I need to modify. 

Also, are WS2811 LED's compatible w/ LOR pixel controllers? (pixie 4/8/16, pixcon16) --I'm pretty sure they are, just wouldn't hurt to be 100% sure.

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, Kennan said:

So as of my current understanding of how the hardware setup(assuming I'm using CCR for my LED's) works, its computer, CAT5 (Ethernet) cable connects to controller (pixie 8)from the computer, connect LED strips to outputs on controller, tada. (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.) 

I am using WS2811 LED's instead of CCR due to the fact of them being cheaper, and I am just wondering if there is anything else hardware-wise I need to modify. 

Also, are WS2811 LED's compatible w/ LOR pixel controllers? (pixie 4/8/16, pixcon16) --I'm pretty sure they are, just wouldn't hurt to be 100% sure.

Thanks!

Yes, ribbons and nodes are interchangeable. The pixies or any pixel controller will run both. You have to get the correct voltage though. 5v or 12v, it's been covered all over the forums. 

As far as price shop around. Another difference is going to be the length of the ribbons or strands so pay attention. If you want to make a 16' tree, do the math or you may be at 12'.

The TADA part - well once you get the unit ID's, network(s) and channels, well yes. TADA

Also your connectors. You will have to do some soldering which means you will also need connectors.

JR

21 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Yes, ribbons and nodes are interchangeable. The pixies or any pixel controller will run both. You have to get the correct voltage though. 5v or 12v, it's been covered all over the forums. 

As far as price shop around. Another difference is going to be the length of the ribbons or strands so pay attention. If you want to make a 16' tree, do the math or you may be at 12'.

The TADA part - well once you get the unit ID's, network(s) and channels, well yes. TADA

Also your connectors. You will have to do some soldering which means you will also need connectors.

JR

So i'm pretty much in the clear except for the connectors?

9 minutes ago, Kennan said:

So i'm pretty much in the clear except for the connectors?

That and initial setup of the pixie. If you get the pixie16 (the easiest and most affordable pixel controller that LOR sells) shoot me a private message and we can exchange #'s. Also any other questions as for what you are looking for feel free to pm me.  Supply sources and how to wire the pixie.

JR

On 9/4/2018 at 11:37 PM, Kennan said:

Thanks!

The only concern I have in your statement is where you stated  "computer, CAT5 (Ethernet) cable connects to controller (pixie 8)from the computer, " Do not use the ethernet port on the computer to connect a Pixie8. It should go;    computer > usb port > usbrs485 adapter > cat5 > Pixie8.  I just wanted to clarify this statement before something goes terribly wrong.

14 hours ago, Mr. P said:

The only concern I have in your statement is where you stated  "computer, CAT5 (Ethernet) cable connects to controller (pixie 8)from the computer, " Do not use the ethernet port on the computer to connect a Pixie8. It should go;    computer > usb port > usbrs485 adapter > cat5 > Pixie8.  I just wanted to clarify this statement before something goes terribly wrong.

Thank you for clarifying that!

• The topic was locked