Light-O-Rama Forums

Singing Faces - how to stop reflection

keiheric

Hi all,

I have made my own pumpkin singing face, and it looks pretty good. However, when one mouth movement is on, the light reflects onto the other lights that are off, and are clearly visible. What recommendations would any of you have to help alleviate the problem?

I have tried lowering the intensity of the lights - it has not helped.

The lights were inserted into holes on a coro board painted flat black (krlyon plastic).

I am using incandescent lights - would LED be any better? The lights are also frosted. Could this be a contributor?

39 minutes ago, keiheric said:

Hi all,

I have made my own pumpkin singing face, and it looks pretty good. However, when one mouth movement is on, the light reflects onto the other lights that are off, and are clearly visible. What recommendations would any of you have to help alleviate the problem?

I have tried lowering the intensity of the lights - it has not helped.

The lights were inserted into holes on a coro board painted flat black (krlyon plastic).

I am using incandescent lights - would LED be any better? The lights are also frosted. Could this be a contributor?

You will have a little light reflection, no way to prevent it. Are your holes 1/2" center to center. We are talking about lights and glass here so really nothing you can do.

Just remember at night while people are watching the faces sing they really are not gonna see a little reflection. You may be able to place some electrical tape in between like a deflector but I don't thinks its much to worry about.

JR

You could also try turning down the intensity, as the lights don't have to be on 100%. Sorry, I see where you have tried that.

Edited by Mr. P

How far away from the face when you were seeing the reflection?  How visible is it when viewed from the distance that your audience will normally be?  My point is, it does not matter how visible it is from five feet away when the audience will be 75 feet away.

Coincidentally, this weekend I was building my singing faces.  Powered one up to see it.  I was looking at it from about 30 feet (about one half to one third normal viewing distance), and did not notice any problem.  That was before you asked about this so I was not specifically looking for it however.

42 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

How far away from the face when you were seeing the reflection?  How visible is it when viewed from the distance that your audience will normally be?  My point is, it does not matter how visible it is from five feet away when the audience will be 75 feet away.

Coincidentally, this weekend I was building my singing faces.  Powered one up to see it.  I was looking at it from about 30 feet (about one half to one third normal viewing distance), and did not notice any problem.  That was before you asked about this so I was not specifically looking for it however.

My point exactly. The audience will not even notice. All they will see is how exciting it is to see the faces singing and try to figure out how it works. I get that quest a lot. The little children think I'm magic.

JR

Agree with comments above on distance.  You will find all the little things that you see wrong or don't like the majority don't notice

• 2 weeks later...

I figured my issue out - the lights cannot be frosted or they are easily seen. 

On the left, I have mini LEDs. On the right, I have frosted incandescents. The LED are much better at hiding the non-lit areas.

Hope this may help others.

20180917_191303.jpg