Light-O-Rama Forums

pixel tree options/opinions

beaker020

I am adding a pixel tree to my display this year. I have a 15' spiral tree but I want to take it to the next level.  I have purchased the 16 strand "CCR"clone pixel tree from holiday coro plus the 36" 6 channel star. This will be in addition to the spiral tree, not a replacement for it, so all new pole and hardware.  

I need to get a better idea on how this is going to go together. I have seen people zap strap the ribbons to HC's pixel mounting strips, I've seen people use EMT conduit and PVC conduit. I've seen people use HC's pixel mounting topper and Base and i've seen people use plywood and 2x4's. 

I'm looking for opinions and experience on the pros and cons of the various methods. Pictures would be great. 

I live in the Pacific north west so although we dont usually get huge windstorms it has been known to get windy at times. It does get wet, however.

Thanks

Lance 

8 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

My 16 ribbon tree is very similiar to the one in this video.

What is your spacing at the top  and bottom? I didnt catch anything on spacing on the video. I think he had an 8 foot 2x4

I did a couple different build options here.

search for LOR CCR tree build.

Has all spacing, parts and prices for the original and improved versions

On cell can’t link

JR

Spacings depends on the length and angle of the legs so each will be different. Off the top of my head my legs are 18' long spaced 1.5 inches at the top and 12inches at the bottom with slightly more angle.

Mine is pixels mounted to split PVC pipe.  It worked very well in my opinion.  I am rebuilding it this year and will be using Boscoyo pixel mounting strips (although with a custom spacing): https://www.boscoyostudio.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_6&products_id=2

If you are using ribbons as opposed to pixels, the Boscoyo strips don't help.

You can see details of my 12 x 50 tree at: http://newburghlights.org/pixel_tree.html

Ok. Out of curiosity, the closer the ribbons to each other the better the picture? I am limited in space and with 16 ribbons I just dont have the 16 feet to create that base.

19 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

I did a couple different build options here.

search for LOR CCR tree build.

Has all spacing, parts and prices for the original and improved versions

On cell can’t link

JR

thank you, will take a look.

1 minute ago, Shadow62672 said:

Ok. Out of curiosity, the closer the ribbons to each other the better the picture? I am limited in space and with 16 ribbons I just dont have the 16 feet to create that base.

The closer the ribbons the better the pictures (if you use images) will look at different distances

So you can make your ribbons as close or as far apart as you need

mine above is not that wide maybe 10’ but the weiteip has all the info

JR

I forgot to answer that part.  On my tree, if you draw a line from the top pixel of my star through the bottom left pixel, continue that line as the outer most string of the tree.  Do the same thing on the right side.  There are places in songs where I will light up the outer most string of the tree and the pixels that continue that line to the top of the star.  Looks good that way.  That comes out to a 72 degree angle.  That results in the bottom being a little smaller than the height of the lit part of the tree.

When I rebuild the tree for 2018, I will use the same angle.