Light-O-Rama Forums

Help settling an argument

beaker020

13 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Hmmm.  You were a little unsure about an inappropriate choice?  But then I found you play the hippo song!  

The real irony is it was my wife's insistence to do that song.

I put up 'Holiday Lights" in the winter.

If you walked down my block, you can probably find a dozen religions or languages spoken.

I have never had someone bang on my door and tell me to take my display down . (If they do,They might get injured for trespassing ;) where they did not have permission  to be )

10 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

Oh horse pucky. Do what you want. As much time and money as you spend, you’re the one that matters.

I can hear the southern twang.

JR

4 hours ago, k6ccc said:

I'll take that as a compliment.  I give detailed answers...

Me too, Jim.  I've had my share of complaints about being LONG WINDED! ?   At one time that used to bug me, but now, if I feel I have to be a bit more informative to get the point{s} across, then so be it.   I'll write my mini novel! :D??   At least that way there shouldn't be any misinterpretation of what I'm trying to convey.

Although we know how that goes too, sometimes you can make it informative, but someone still might not agree with your solution.  

I try to say, worked for me, may not work for others, but it doesn't hurt to try, you might learn a new way to do something. B)

since they don't edit it on TV i wouldn't think it matters.... I personally wouldn't remove it, but thats just me.  If someone has a problem with the word in a happy context... thats a them issue, not a you issue!

16 hours ago, PhilMassey said:

One of the main streets in Knoxville is Gay Street.

Never heard anyone talking about changing the name.

We have a Gay Street in Orlando as well.  No one has ever complained about it either.

18 hours ago, ericm said:

since they don't edit it on TV i wouldn't think it matters.... I personally wouldn't remove it, but thats just me.  If someone has a problem with the word in a happy context... thats a them issue, not a you issue!

True!

It's not the word gay that my wife has the issue with, and it's not the rainbow either, per se. It's the association of the 2 within the song and sequence, giving the word an unintended meaning. Key word being "unintended". 

No sequence rainbow   becauce of LGTB, such a non issue. Because of PC running amuck, so much fabricated outrage and morel superiority over the littlest of things anymore.   Hopefully, ifs you stick with the sequences as is, your wife isn't tramatise and needs a safe space. ?

3 hours ago, beaker020 said:

It's not the word gay that my wife has the issue with, and it's not the rainbow either, per se. It's the association of the 2 within the song and sequence, giving the word an unintended meaning. Key word being "unintended". 

That's where I agree with her. The song wasn't written with the LGBTQ community in mind. Gay was used in a completely different way in the song. 100% different definition and everything. If you want to throw in a song that celebrates the LGBTQ community in your display, go right ahead. Have all the rainbows you want.

To me this isn't a 'politically correct' type of argument. It's the simple fact that the word Gay in the song isn't referencing LGBTQ. However, either way you do it, someone is going to like it, and someone is going to not like it. That's just the way it goes.

Politically correctness will be the death of this country just look at the most recent offensive words soon the whole dictionary will be offensive for some reason or another. In fact I'm sure something in my post will offend someone and quite frankly I sincerely apologize not because I offended you but because I'm out of "I'm offended" report forms. 

Just do the song the way you want to, if someone has a problem with it more than likely they will have a problem with something else in your display. There are people that just look for things to be offended by. 

I have been doing that sequence for 3 years now and no one has ever pointed that out until I read this thread. Nor did I ever put the 2 together.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked