Light-O-Rama Forums

Motion Effect and Grouped Items

jamills706

Probably a stupid question - and probably there is documentation someplace - I have not yet found detailed instructions, so please point me to them if they exist so that I can answer my own questions.......but...if I make a group of several props (ie: 8 spiral mini trees) can I not just apply a motion effect to the group and have it go onto all of the trees in that group? It always seems to only apply to the top/first prop in the group. Or, are the groupings only visual - to make finding props easier  but not for sequencing them?

I was pretty sure you could do what you wanted, but had to fire up S5 to make sure I was not talking out my ear...

First of all, in the group definition, you have to have an arrangement selected.  If none, you can't add motion effects to the group (only the elements within the group). 

When you create the group and then create Motion Effects rows for the group, make sure you are making effects rows for what you think you are adding.  It can be easy to select the elements within the group while you are intending to select the group.

If that's not enough, I can give better detail.

Perhaps I'm bot sure what you mean by "arrangement" - I have a group I created that contains ALL Mini Trees - that is 8 individual 3-foot tall spiral trees with 50 pixels on each one. I click on the name "ALL Mini Trees" then having selected the Motion Effects icon, drag the pencil across a block of squares in the timeline...it opens the Motion Effects Window - I put something like a spiral action  in there and then click save. It only applies to the art of the 8 trees though the white blocks appear beside the ALL Mini Trees name.

This is a group that contains two props.  Perimeter driveway is 39 GECE bulbs that line the edge of my lawn along side my driveway.  Perimeter sidewalk is another 11 GECE bulbs that continues the string along side the sidewalk.  In order to get a motion effects row for the group, the arrangement at the right MUST be something other than "none".

S5_Group_arrangement.png

1) Are your minitrees pixels or traditional lights?

2) Are you sure the group has a motion effect row? In the sequence grid, expand the group by click the "+" box. Does it show a motion row or just all of the members of the group? If it just shows the group members, then collapse the group, then right-click on the group name and select "Add/modify Motion Effect Rows", then click "Add Row" in the dialog.

3) You might want to try creating a second group with arrangement set to one of the horizontal stack choices. It will give the effects you apply a different look.

Matt

Thanks, Matt! So how does the Right Click Motion Effects Row differ from the one I might create from within the preview itself by clicking the Motion Effect (0) button at the lower right of the screen? I had noticed that and added one of those - which seemed to do nothing. But the one I added in the right click actually appears when I hit the [+] on the group. And, it does, in act, allow my effects to appear on the entire group!

53 minutes ago, jamills706 said:

So how does the Right Click Motion Effects Row differ from the one I might create from within the preview itself by clicking the Motion Effect (0) button

The "Motion Effect" buttons in the Prop and Group Definition screens create defaults for new sequences. When you right-click on a prop or group name in the grid and select "Add/modify Motion Effect Rows" the result is applied to the sequence as soon as you click "OK".

Matt