Light-O-Rama Forums

CCB/CCP may need firmware update to v1.21 for S5

randyf

I am usually under the position that if it ain't broke, don't fix it,  But when doing some S4 to S5 migration, I discovered that my v1.16 CCP's (old style, not Pixie) would not work with S5, yet still work with S4.

This was somewhat frustrating, as I am using different computers to pilot S5, so wasn't sure if it was a USB port, network, software or CCB problem (or somewhere else).  I searched the forums for firmware and found nothing, so was mostly thinking it was user error.  I finally tried to update one of my controllers to v1.21, and that was problematic on the surface, so went back to 1.16, and tried each release till 1.21 did load and worked with S5.

What I have found with two of the three CCP's I have is that I needed to update each in the firmware order and that it must be at v1.21 to work with S5.  I do have one more to update, and I did find that the first did down-rev OK, so ifthere were an experiment or data  that would be desired, I will be happy to try it.  As for other users of CCP's, make sure to get to v1.21 before using S5 (and hopefully being at this version is still OK in S4, as I am only in piloting mode, and may not put S5 into the show this year).

Something that I'm now thinking of, is what other devices might also need a firmware update.  Any feedback here for adopters would probably be useful (or specified in release notes),

By chance were you NOT using an enhanced network in S4 and ARE using an enhanced network in S5?  Several years ago I also had to update the firmware in my first release CCPs when I changed the network to Enhanced.  Off hand, I am going to suspect that a change to Enhanced networking is the difference, not necessarily going to S5 (S4 also can use Enhanced networking).

I may haul one of my arches out of the attic over the weekend and test mine.  I don't know what version I have loaded (I'm not near the computer that has that spreadsheet at this time).

I had considered this too, but took a functioning non-enhanced sequence from S4, converted to S5, and no joy till I got the controllers updated.

Is it possible that S5 assumes some level of "enhanced" network?

FWIW, I am doing something at the end of September that I would like to use some of my pixels (including a Pixie16 array that was working quite well), and I also figured that this was a good opportunity to play more with S5 and make a migration choice before Xmas.

Keep in mind that the sequence has absolutely nothing to do with the LOR networking being Enhanced or non-enhanced.  That is set in Network Preferences.  Off hand, I don't know if Network Preferences in S4 reads the same file as Network Preferences in S5.