Light-O-Rama Forums

controller connect

keithandrews

in the hardware utility cant seem to find just wont connect what am ithe com port ive got it connected usb to 485 coonector to controller light is flashing in box I'm I missing

it is difficult for me even sometimes impossible to figure out what people ask when they dont use punctuation know what i mean

That said, it sounds like you are connecting the USB adapter to the computer, then connecting it to the controller.

1) Make sure you have the drivers installed.
2) Make sure that you ONLY have the Hardware Utility running.

If this is a PC controller (plastic enclosure) then set the "max unit id" in the top right down to 5 so it doesn't take to long. The default ID is 01, so no need to wait forever on your testing.

• Thanks 1

Yes, PLEASE use something resembling proper punctuation and spelling.  Running everything together in on sentence often makes it REALLY hard to understand what the person was trying to say.

If the status light in the controller is blinking, then it is not seeing the heartbeat from the computer.  That could be a Cat-5 cable problem, a problem with the USB to RS-485 adapter, a connector problem on ether end of the Cat-5 cable, or a communications problem between the computer and the USB to 485 adapter.

• Thanks 1

From what I can make out from the original OP's post:  they have the USB dongle connected, they have a controller connected and they have the hardware utility running.   What it appears to me is that they HAVE NOT INSTALLED the FTDI Drivers and set their comm port, the HWU will not set it if the FTDI drivers ARE NOT installed.  Nor will the HWU locate or find any controller or controllers if the FTDI Driver isn't installed.

Install the FTDI Drivers for the USB Dongle and software/hardware control, then restart your computer, then restart the HWU to initialize everything and set your comm port.  I found that using the auto setting for the comm port doesn't work as well as manually choosing one.

BTW: if you don't have the FTDI drivers you can download them here:

FTDI Drivers FTDI Chip Main Site

You'll need to select the correct driver for your system and type drivers you want to install for your operating system.

Good Luck.

Edited by Orville
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like your network is not configured properly.

I have been all over the world and find it easier to understand when English is not perfect.

What controller (s) do you have that won’t connect?

JR

32 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Sounds like your network is not configured properly.

I have been all over the world and find it easier to understand when English is not perfect.

What controller (s) do you have that won’t connect?

JR

Its a new pixie 16 first try at pixels I thought I saw some where is there a burn in run time

5 minutes ago, keithandrews said:

Its a new pixie 16 first try at pixels I thought I saw some where is there a burn in run time

If you need help configuring your pixie let me know.

HU- does not set it up into your configuration.

JR

Yes anything you can do to help I appreciate it I bought 5 c9 50 lights on a string I own 5 old reg lights controller I can get around ok with them I also bought the pixel tree I believe 16 strands folded I believe  like 8x25 pixel last year I could get only one or the other to work last year failed big time took everything down before Christmas so yes if you can lead me my singing face are old controller reg lights thanks again 

1 hour ago, Orville said:

From what I can make out from the original OP's post:  they have the USB dongle connected, they have a controller connected and they have the hardware utility running.   What it appears to me is that they HAVE NOT INSTALLED the FTDI Drivers and set their comm port, the HWU will not set it if the FTDI drivers ARE NOT installed.  Nor will the HWU locate or find any controller or controllers if the FTDI Driver isn't installed.

Install the FTDI Drivers for the USB Dongle and software/hardware control, then restart your computer, then restart the HWU to initialize everything and set your comm port.  I found that using the auto setting for the comm port doesn't work as well as manually choosing one.

BTW: if you don't have the FTDI drivers you can download them here:

FTDI Drivers FTDI Chip Main Site

You'll need to select the correct driver for your system and type drivers you want to install for your operating system.

Good Luck.

Thanks that fixed problem

6 minutes ago, keithandrews said:

Yes anything you can do to help I appreciate it I bought 5 c9 50 lights on a string I own 5 old reg lights controller I can get around ok with them I also bought the pixel tree I believe 16 strands folded I believe  like 8x25 pixel last year I could get only one or the other to work last year failed big time took everything down before Christmas so yes if you can lead me my singing face are old controller reg lights thanks again 

PM me when you are ready to start. Will need phone info

11 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

PM me when you are ready to start. Will need phone info

Ok what times are best for you 

2 hours ago, keithandrews said:

Ok what times are best for you 

I thought I replied to this but I don't see a reply.

Being retired basically all day I am avail. You should text first.

Will shoot you a PM with my info

JR

• The topic was locked