Light-O-Rama Forums

transmitter group buy for LOR members 8/2 thru 11/30

taybrynn

[align=center]Updates for previous batches:
[/align][align=center]Batch #4 - transmitters should be delivered by now

Batch #5 - folks should start seeing them in the next 1-4 days ...

Batch #6 - Shipping out today ... then 10-15 days for shipping.
[/align]
[align=center]BATCH # 7 - GOING ON NOW! (0 of 10 confirmed orders) ...
[/align]

[align=center]edmlcdgroupbuyv080508.jpg
[/align]
The details are the same as before.

How to purchase:

• I will PM you back the transmitter sale link where you can browse and purchase the transmitter directly from the mfgr using paypal. You are not obligated to buy.
  • Wait till 10 orders are placed ... then your transmitter will ship within 2 business days and typically takes 10-15 days to ship to your home.

Additional Information:

• The EDM LCD is very comparable to Ramsey transmitters but at a much lower price point.
  • The LCD transmitter includes adjustable power control and should only be operated in a manner compliant with FCC Part15 regulations. This means making a wise choice of frequency, antenna and operating with the minimum amount of power required for your display. Typically, the included whip-antenna works just fine and provides plenty of transmission range.

• The transmitters include a 2 year mfg. warranty std. compared to 1 year for Ramsey units.
  • EDM support is excellent and they also have a yahoo group for owners.

• Over 70 members have already purchased an EDM transmitter via. this members only sale in 2008. Feel free to ask them what they think and how the unit works.
  • The EDM LCD is a kit (as required by the FCC), but requires only very basic soldering skills, so it is appropriate for almost anyone who can solder a power lead. The kit typically only takes 15 minutes (or less) to assemble.

• If you are looking for a "kit experience", then the Ramsey may be a better choice for you. Many people are afraid of the Ramsey kits or simply cannot afford them ... the EDM LCD is a great "no regrets" alternative.
  • One member who owns a couple modded belkins, a (1 watt) Vaseltec and an EDM ... is using the EDM LCD in his 2008 show.

• There are members who have owned (and/or still own) either the Ramsey FM25B, FM30B or FM100B ... who now are happy owners of the EDM LCD ... and use it as their primary transmitter.
  • The EDM LCD kit comes with everything needed: 12V regulated power supply, transmitter, metal power coated case (not plastic like FM25B), test antenna (which works fine for 95% of all members on even 10mW).

• The EDM LCD takes a simple RCA mounted antenna connector, and accepts (2) RCA line level audio inputs. The antenna connection can easily be converted from RCA to other type using inexpensive adaptors, if needed.
  • Shipping and handling is $12 per order

• Each member can can order up to (2) transmitters.
  • Optional shipping insurance is available

• Please don't wait too long to purchase your transmitter if your planning a show for 2008.
  • Keep in mind that a backup transmitter is often a good idea -- as the loss of your transmitter can basically be a show stopper.

Rules:

• Once 10 orders are placed, all transmitters will ship out together, usually within 2 business days.
  • Each group of 10+ orders is called a batch. So if you miss the current batch, you can always place an order and will be part of the next batch.

• Typically, the first 5 orders goes a little slower than the last 5 orders. I would advise you to place your orders ASAP, so that everyone gets their transmitted in the shortest # of days possible.
  • Typically, each batch completes in 1-3 weeks, but depends on member demand.

• On the day 10 orders are received, you can still place orders up till midnight (SA time) that same day ... this is typically PST+9,MST+8,CST+7,EST+6 . So if 10 orders is say reached at 10am EST, then this would mean that the sale would end 8 hours later, or at 6pm EST, or 6+6=12pm SA time.
  • Instructions are emailed to you (via. emailed pdf file) after your purchase. Please be aware some folks have spam filtering problems with emails from S. Africa. If you don't get the manual, it can be found near the bottom of page#2 of this thread.

• This is a "members only" sale, so I will not send you the sale link unless you are a valid member of LOR, PC, SCL or DIYC. New members joining just to participate in the sale will not be permitted.

BATCH # 7 - GOING ON NOW! (0 of 10 confirmed orders) ...
[align=center]PM me to request for the sale link
[/align][align=center]http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/pm.php?send_to=taybrynn [/align]

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• taybrynn

• doublea

• mmaness

• John Hertig

Humm... I sent a pm in, I want mine up and running by october 20th, but it looks like this batch will take too long, it says most batches take 1-2 weeks, and then 10-15 shipping, eek, let me know if im pushing unrealistic dates here.

A few questions I have after looking at the pdf, and all the posts here, How many soder points are there actually to do? It looks like from the pictures the board is already mostly assembled.

I have only used a soldering iron a few times in the past, and the ramseys are way way way! out of my league.

And not directly related to this product, but how many miliwats can you actual broadcast up to in the legal range? 10?

And Ill ask the other people who have purchased this, do you think I should get the shipping insurance? Did your package arive all beat up? or do you think it will live?

Thanks

Edit: Some of my questions were answered in my pm I got. Thanks. (The greyed out test)

Honestly, if you can solder 3 points carefully, then you can do it. I used the painters tape to hold the part on while soldering it on. Then you carefully fill each of 3 solder points with solder.

If you in a bind, you can order directly from EDM at the regular price and I'm sure you would get it in time.

The legal range is not defined in terms of just power. It has been answer many times and probably on this thread as well.

A 10mW (10/1000 of a watt) transmitter is the most power you can buy pre-assembled (in the US) with an FCC certification on it. Part of that certification is using the included antenna they sell with it. There are still things you could do, intentional or accidental, to operate an FCC certified transmitter in a non-compliant manner. i.e. transmit over another station, cause interference, transmit to far because of where it was located or the antenna used, emit too much power at distance, etc.

So the FCC does allow folks to build up to 5 home built transmitters, in the form of kits or just true home-builds ... as long as they can conform to the FCC Part15 regulations and operating guidelines ... one of which is emitting only a certain amount of power a certain distance. So it is up to the operators (us) to do this responsibly and make responsible FM frequency choices. Do not buy a transmitter that does not allow you to choose the most optimal FM frequency or adjust the power. If you do, you will need to control the emissions with attenuators or through other means. One thing I like about the EDM, is that you can run it as low as 1mW or as high as 100mW ... but most folks should be fine at 10mW or less and with the included antenna, thus saving you even more $$ (not buying an antenna). A lot of folks buy an inefficient transmitter, then need fancy antennas to get the range they need.

Most people don't get the shipping insurance. The two I bought both arrived looking like my package had only traveled a short distance, it was in very good shape. This is a personal choice, I understand.

I will probably end this sale before 11/30, because I want don't want to be involved in a mad rush before Christmas ... so it's likely that the last batch will close around 11/15 at the latest.

taybrynn wrote:

Honestly, if you can solder 3 points carefully, then you can do it. I used the painters tape to hold the part on while soldering it on. Then you carefully fill each of 3 solder points with solder.

If you in a bind, you can order directly from EDM at the regular price and I'm sure you would get it in time.

The legal range is not defined in terms of just power. It has been answer many times and probably on this thread as well.

A 10mW (10/1000 of a watt) transmitter is the most power you can buy pre-assembled (in the US) with an FCC certification on it. Part of that certification is using the included antenna they sell with it. There are still things you could do, intentional or accidental, to operate an FCC certified transmitter in a non-compliant manner. i.e. transmit over another station, cause interference, transmit to far because of where it was located or the antenna used, emit too much power at distance, etc.

So the FCC does allow folks to build up to 5 home built transmitters, in the form of kits or just true home-builds ... as long as they can conform to the FCC Part15 regulations and operating guidelines ... one of which is emitting only a certain amount of power a certain distance. So it is up to the operators (us) to do this responsibly and make responsible FM frequency choices. Do not buy a transmitter that does not allow you to choose the most optimal FM frequency or adjust the power. If you do, you will need to control the emissions with attenuators or through other means. One thing I like about the EDM, is that you can run it as low as 1mW or as high as 100mW ... but most folks should be fine at 10mW or less and with the included antenna, thus saving you even more $$ (not buying an antenna). A lot of folks buy an inefficient transmitter, then need fancy antennas to get the range they need.

Most people don't get the shipping insurance. The two I bought both arrived looking like my package had only traveled a short distance, it was in very good shape. This is a personal choice, I understand.

I will probably end this sale before 11/30, because I want don't want to be involved in a mad rush before Christmas ... so it's likely that the last batch will close around 11/15 at the latest.

Yes, sorry, I realized last night that most of my questions were alredy answed in the previous 5 pages of posts. I got 6-7 weeks I can wait for the group buy price, its alredy our of my price range, but im sold, if its as high of quality that people say... im way sold on the thing.

I now think I have a good understanding about the power range you can broaudcast up to. I was about 5 or 6 links into several other websites tlaking about all of that, I read several lenghty articals untill about 2 am my time last night, Its amazing how much stuff there is on fff part 15 regulations, I now see what its almost impossible to just tell everyone 10mw should be fine, its baised off of several other conditions.

Thanks again for answering all my questions, I know it can be annoying to have people ask things that have alredy been said, After 2 am last night I didnt feel like edidting my post, I was dead tired ;)

RI_Pilot wrote:

I received my transmitter today via USPS priority mail. Looks very well made with a rugged case. I hope to get a chance to build it tonight. Mine was part of batch 5.

Howard

Hi RI Pilot,

I was part of batch #5 and live in Greenville. I hope I get mine today!;) USP usally runs late here till 6pm. Let me know how you make out with the assemblely.

Scrubs63

Scrubs,

Very quick assembly, only one part (3 pins) to solder. You also need to insert 1 IC chip. Much easier to build than a LOR PC controller!

It works great, I connected it to my computer and played a MP3. Ran out to my car (in the pouring rain thanks to Hanna!) and listened to beautiful stereo music.

I still need to verify that the frequency I picked is actually clear, I used the radio-locater.com site to choose one. Tomorrow I will verify that it is indeed clear. I will also check that I am not transmitting too far.

Howard (RI_Pilot)

(Airplane is dry in the hangar at TF Green ;))

John Hertig wrote:

i had no insurance and got it with no problems.  Great packaging and USPS seems not to play 'football' with my packages like UPS does.

You've noticed that too, I have rarley gotten packages from usps in bad condition, quite the opposite, almost all ups packages I get are totally beat up, fedex is right in the middle.

I alredy orderd it without insurance, I read through the first 15 pages ofpeople whom have orders this on the pc forums all of them said the packages came in good condition.

I received mine recently, but it didn't include the test antenna. Is it a separate piece, or part of the circuit board?

Also, will I still need to get a larger antenna for regular use, or is the test antenna sufficient?

The test antenna is a small wire with a single RCA conector on it ... it normally comes in a small plastic bag with a zip on it. I believe it is normally red and 1M long. Normally, it provides good range all by itself, but a better antenna with always give better results. Please contact EDM support if you determine that it was missing and you still want one sent to you.

taybrynn wrote:

The test antenna is a small wire with a single RCA conector on it ... it normally comes in a small plastic bag with a zip on it. I believe it is normally red and 1M long. Normally, it provides good range all by itself, but a better antenna with always give better results. Please contact EDM support if you determine that it was missing and you still want one sent to you.

Mine was black. Start with the 'test' antenna and go to a 'better' antenna only if you can't get the desired range with the test antenna. Keep in mind that a range of more than 200 feet will increase your chances of being caught violating FCC rules for a Low Power FM station.

John, your right ... its a black cable ... and rather small. It would be easy to overlook it in the box, as its just a tiny cable in a tiny baggy buried in the foam packers. It just appears to be a simple 1M cable with an RCA male clamped onto the end. I agree, no need for a real antenna unless you really have a need for it. I think some people with trees or in a dense urban setting might have less range than those of us out in the burbs or into the countryside.

taybrynn wrote:

John, your right ... its a black cable ... and rather small. It would be easy to overlook it in the box, as its just a tiny cable in a tiny baggy buried in the foam packers. It just appears to be a simple 1M cable with an RCA male clamped onto the end. I agree, no need for a real antenna unless you really have a need for it. I think some people with trees or in a dense urban setting might have less range than those of us out in the burbs or into the countryside.

I think its been said many times before, but Ill say it again, You only need to trnasmit as far as cars and people will be actually able to view your show from. In my case thats less than an 1/8th mile streach of road down my (friends) court.

Im sure the supplied test antennia will work just fine for me, and for most other people.

I agree 100% with the comments by doublea ... and running this way is the responsible thing to do and keeps the hobby safer for everyone else as well. If the FCC decides the lightshow folks are a problem ... it will be a sad day for us and LOR. Thats why I always promote responsible ownership and operation and minimal footprint. Oddly enough, one of the bigger problems is people leaving the transmitter on 24x7 ...

I'm always surprised how people ask about antennas, nevertheless.

I think if there is a big selling point for the EDM ... its that the included 'test antenna' works mighty fine for most folks, so no additional antenna or cost need be incurred. I'm sure there are exceptions (like I run it out of a concrete basement, etc.) ... but I'm talking in general terms here.

And that saves you money on the total cost of ownership as well. I've read how some other popular transmitters required a additional outdoor antenna for 1-2 block range ... on a 1 watt (1000mW) transmitter!!! ...and I wonder how thats possible ... when my EDM LCD gets me a solid block with only a test antenna on 10mW setting.

I think I could easily back the EDM down to be more FCC compliant and likely will when I get to the show tweaking phase.

YMMV, but I'm speaking from my own only. Send