Light-O-Rama Forums

transmitter group buy for LOR members 8/2 thru 11/30

taybrynn

batch #4 update: transmitter could arrive later this week or early next week.

batch #5 update: transmitters ship out Wed this week

Batch #6 update: 1 of 10 orders confirmed

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• taybrynn

• doublea

• mmaness

• John Hertig

do we get any kind of tracking with the shipment, or it is basically an 'expect it when it gets there' kinda thing.

Your right, there is no tracking capability per se ... sometimes I get confirmation from EDM when the shipment arrives in the US, but not always. A good rule of thumb is 10-15 days from the day is ships out. EDM is extremely reputable ... so no need to worry ... its just hard to wait, I understand.

It's not so much that it's hard to wait, it's that I'd rather not have a package left at my front door all day long. When I know something's due to arrive, I make arrangements for someone to be home to receive it. But with an indefinite date of delivery, chances are that there won't be anyone home when delivered.

We haven't had trouble with various 'irregular' people stealing stuff, but part of that might be because we tend to be available for delivery. Plus, if we have to sign for delivery, that brings a whole new problem into the mix.

I completely understand your concerns. If you have a trustworthy neighbor, perhaps you could ask a 'stay at home Mom' to check your porch for you?? My wife does that in our neighborhood.

I think the best indicator will be when others here post that they have recieved theirs. In the past, folks that are geographically closer to CA would get theirs first, generally speaking. Folks in the NorthEast and Canada tend to be last. Rural locations a little later than in bigger cities.

So I encourage others to report back here when they receive theirs. I can ask EDM about considering a way for folks to be able to track packages once they ship within the states??

Scrubs -- Yes, you are part of batch#5.

We have one person in on batch#6 thus far, but a quite a few still thinking about it.

Updates:

batch#4 - folks can expect delivery anytime in the coming week. the pkgs have arrived in the US for local shipping to your homes. one pkg could be delayed (1) additional day as it was selected by customs for inspection.

batch#5 - shipping out today, then 10-15 days for delivery

batch#6 - 3 of 10 confirmed orders (4th unconfirmed)

Here is an actual user review from 'Frank', from the EDM yahoo group. Frank is a recent owner of an EDM LCD transmitter. PM me if you want details on the EDM transmitter sale.

Frank's Review of the EDM LCD

it took me 1 hour to solder the power jack on **. i had not used a
soldering iron for more than 8 years and my soldering iron is only
25w, i think it is not power enough for the big terminals like power
jack. but anyway, that's only 3 soldering points, not too bad.

then i plug the power in and connect my computer soundcard output with
an attenuator (LABTEC AC-14 HEADPHONE EXTENSION CABLE W/VOLUME
CONTROL) which i bought on ebay to edm-lcd. i set attenuator to about
90% of the volume, though i did not hear any distortion without
attenuator, i just want to follow the manual exactly. i played a
shoutcast radio channel and turned on my samsung mp3 player which
comes with a fm radio.

wow, the stereo sound was so clear and i cannot tell any difference

i am not a hi-fi fan. but i can tell that edm-lcd is much much better
than my friend's belkin in the quality of the sound and low noise
level. it is really worth my 172 dollars. I definitely will recommend
edm to my friends who want a real fm transmitter not a toy.

btw, i just used the test antenna coming with the package. the range
is good. the edm-lcd was put in basement, and the wire antenna was
lying on the table. i could get clear sound in the whole house without
any problem. and i tried my car radio on the driveway, very clear. i
have not tried how far i can go yet, but it is not my concern. i used
10mw which is default setting.

i am going to buy one or two good quality fm radios like sangean. then
i will be able to listen to my favorite internet radios in the whole
house. if i use expensive wi-fi radio, the costs could be easily
doubled or tripled.

edm team, you did a great job.

** I would add that I had not soldered for over 20 years and ... and I soldered mine in under 10 minutes. Frank was actually slower than me, so now I don't feel so bad.

taybrynn wrote:

Updates:

batch#4 - folks can expect delivery anytime in the coming week. the pkgs have arrived in the US for local shipping to your homes. one pkg could be delayed (1) additional day as it was selected by customs for inspection.

I'm starting to get the same feeling I did earlier this year when I placed my order from LOR and knew it could be arriving any day!

I can't wait to get it hooked up to try it out. All I keep reading are great things about this transmitter when I look for reviews. It should be the perfect option for our uses.

Mark

I hear you ... please post follow up messages with your own EDM transmitter experiences.

[align=center]Batch#6 is now active[/align]
[align=center]4 of 10 confirmed orders[/align]

[align=center]edmlcdgroupbuyv080508.jpg

The details are the same as before.

How to purchase: [/align]

• I will PM you back the transmitter sale link where you can browse and purchase the transmitter directly from the mfgr using paypal. You are not obligated to buy.

• Wait till 10 orders are placed ... then your transmitter will ship within 2 business days and typically takes 10-15 days to ship to your home.

[align=center]Additional Information: [/align]

• The EDM LCD is very comparable to Ramsey transmitters but at a much lower price point.

• The LCD transmitter includes variable power control and should only be operated in a manner compliant with FCC Part15 regulations. This means making a wise choice of frequency, antenna and operating with the minimum amount of power required for your display. Typically, the included whip-antenna works just fine and provides plenty of transmission range.

• The transmitters include a 2 year mfgr warranty std. compared to 1 year for Ramsey units.

• EDM support is excellent and they also have a yahoo group for owners.

• About 40 users have already purchased an EDM transmitter via. this members only sale in 2008. Feel free to ask them what they think and how the unit works.

• The EDM LCD is a kit, but requires only very basic soldering skills, so it is appropriate for almost almost who can solder a power lead. The kit typically only takes 15 minutes (or less) to assemble.

• If you are looking for a "kit experience", then the Ramsey may be a better choice for you. Many people are afraid of the Ramsey kits or simply cannot afford them ... the EDM LCD is a great "no regrets" alternative.

• Shipping and handling is $12 per order

• Each member can can order up to (2) transmitters.

• Optional shipping insurance is available

• Please don't wait too long to purchase your transmitter if your planning a show for 2008.

• Keep in mind that a backup transmitter is often a good idea -- as the loss of your transmitter can basically be a show stopper.

[align=center]Rules: [/align]

• Once 10 orders are placed, all transmitters will ship out together, usually within 2 business days.

• Each group of 10+ orders is called a batch. So if you miss the current batch, you can always place an order and will be part of the next batch.

• Typically, the first 5 orders goes a little slower than the last 5 orders. I would advise you to place your orders ASAP, so that everyone gets their transmitted in the shortest # of days possible.

• Typically, each batch completes in 1-3 weeks, but depends on member demand.

• On the day 10 orders are received, you can still place orders up till midnight (SA time) that same day ... this is typically PST+9,MST+8,CST+7,EST+6 . So if 10 orders is say reached at 10am EST, then this would mean that the sale would end 8 hours later, or at 6pm EST, or 6+6=12pm SA time.

• This is a "members only" sale, so I will not send you the sale link unless you are a valid member of LOR, PC, SCL or DIYC. New members joining just to participate in the sale will not be permitted.

Got home from work today and my wife handed me a box that had the transmitter inside!

Everything came well packaged in bubble wrap and foam peanuts. The unit feels well built as there is a lot more weight for it's size vs. the other transmitter I have. The housing is also well built and finished nicely.

After I get it finished and do a little broadcasting I'll let everyone know how well it worked for me.

Mark

Thanks for the update Mark. Please post your broadcasting experiences with the EDM LCD transmitter.

Others have commented on how the EDM has a nice power coated metal enclosure (not plastic), which helps reduce RF interference as well.

Batch#6 is at 5 of 10 confirmed orders.

** Batch#6 is at 6 of 10 confirmed orders. **

Batch#4 folks are just starting to get theirs ... I ordered 2 and have not recieved mine yet, but should any day now.

Batch#5 are in transit and probably 1 week behind the batch#4 folks.

I got mine today, in Tucson, AZ. No manual though. I'm making do with the pdf file which I got when the order went through. Sure would like paper though (I don't have a (working) printer).

John, your not the first to say you would have liked a printed manual included. I have mentioned this to EDM in the past ... and they do not agree that a printed manual is necessary. They probably have good reasons for doing it.

I would say the .pdf document (assembly instructions+operations manual) they are supposed to send you ... when you place an order ... is often email filtered as spam (for various reasons) ... so it's not uncommon to not get the emailed instructions as you all should. They told me that there is supposed to be a slip of paper inside the box with an email address you can send to ... to receive a new copy of the instructions & manual. Normally you should get that withing hours, based on their outstanding customer service. You can also email me and I'll get you the instructions as well.

I will say that I have heard from others that the instructions are well written and fairly short in length. Similarly, the operation instructions are short and simple. For me, I prefer such a manual since I hardly read the lengthy ones personally.

I did get the emailed manual. It says the contents includes 'operating instructions', so that's why I assumed they were missing. Yes, the emailed one is adequate and now that I know that paper one is not available, I can see about getting it printed out.

Boy, soldering in that power jack is a pain. The holes are so big and the pins so small, you can't bend them a bit to hold it in place while you solder. The board topography is too convoluted to allow just supporting the jack on something (the board rocks when you try that). Various clips and clamps either popped off or wouldn't hold it close to the board.

Finally put a small hemeostat on each of 2 of the leads to hold it to the board and soldered the 3rd pin. Then removed one hemeostat and soldered that pin, and then removed the last hemeostat and soldered the last pin. That biggest pin hole at the end is so big, that solder flowed down to the other side of the board, so I suggest that you only solder until it is 'flat' as shown in the instruction rather than try for the 'peak' that most other connections have. The 'peak' will be on the other (component) side of the board.

Powers up fine, if only I didn't have #$($#@ work keeping me from important things like getting it broadcasting...

Note -- the EDM LCD transmitter does not ship with a manual, despite what is written in the .pdf manual which lists Operating Instructions under the 'contents' section on page 2.

The EDM LCD transmitter has a combined installation and operating instruction manual that is supposed to be emailed to you after you purchase on the EDM sale page for LOR members. Sometimes this doesn't occur because of email spam filters.

If you have not received your manual, it is attached to this message for you to download and print out.

I apologize for the confusion this may have caused you.

Scott / taybrynn

** Batch#6 is at 7 of 10 confirmed orders. **

Attached files EDM-TX-LCD.pdf