Light-O-Rama Forums

Pro Series 16/30 vs Residential Series 16/30

Paul Moore

Hi,

Very newbie here. Looking for advice on the Pro Series 16/30 and the Residential Series 16/30 - which to buy ?

Pro's & Con's ?

Thanks,

Paul

From the FAQ - Long read, but should get quite a few questions answered.

http://www1.lightorama.com/faqs/

LOR computerized controllers come in 4, 8 and 16 channel models.  A 4 channel controller gives you independent control of 4 lighting circuits, an 8 channel controller gives you independent control of 8 lighting circuits and a 16 channel controller doubles that.  Each of these controllers is available as either a residential version or a Showtime Professional/Commercial version.  A ShowTime Professional controller is the same as a ShowTime Commercial controller.  The key to remember is these controller are UL approved (in the USA) and are easier to service in the field.  Professional/Commercial versions are ready to go, fully assembled controllers in outdoor rated enclosures with power connectors.  Professional/Commercial controllers can operate stand-alone, meaning they have an animation sequence downloaded into them. They can be configured to run this sequence continuously when they power up or in response to an external trigger switch. The sequence in a stand-alone controller can also contain commands for other controllers.  In this case, the controller is called a Director and controllers it controls are called Companions.  Residential controllers are built and tested circuit boards. You typically must supply the enclosure and the electrical connectors.  These units require a computer to be connected to them the first time to set their unique ID address.  These units cannot run standalone.  Controllers are daisy chained together using either phone cables (RJ11 connectors) for shorter cable runs or CAT5E cables (RJ45 connectors) for longer runs.  Each controller has an “address” which is a number between 1 and 240.  Currently, the largest possible LOR network would have 240 controllers yielding thousands of controllable circuits.  Not enough?  Add more LOR networks

Paul,  Unless you NEED the additional capabilities of the Pro controllers, you are better off with the residential controllers and a whole bunch of your money still in your account (or more controllers).  For general purposes for a show at home, you essentially get nothing for the extra money.  You are not required to use a UL listed controller in a fancy metal case.  The residential controllers in their plastic case will do fine - it's what most of use use (and they do not need additional waterproofing, BTW).  Tell us what you want to accomplish, and we can point you in the right direction.

If you are doing a commercial or local government display, you may well need to use a UL listed display.

Thanks Jim,

Yes it's only a standard home display - trying to get an order in before end of sale, last minute rush.

Thanks for your advice, my knowledge has grown in the last hour and it makes sense to lean towards the residential controllers.

Thanks again,

Paul

OK, so the Residential Series 16 Channel Starter Package, then if I'm thinking of CCP's would I be better off getting the Pro Software now ?

trans_1x1.gif

5 minutes ago, Paul Moore said:

OK, so the Residential Series 16 Channel Starter Package, then if I'm thinking of CCP's would I be better off getting the Pro Software now ?

trans_1x1.gif

I always recommend the Pro software, keeps from having to upgrade in the future as your show grows.

Agreed with Mr. P.  Bite the bullet and get the Pro.  I went straight to Advanced when I started in 2011 and Advanced was as high as it got.  When Pro came out, I bought the upgrade within the first hour.  I have never regretted it.  I do almost all my sequencing in SuperStar and have a 12,000 channel license for that too.

• The topic was locked