Light-O-Rama Forums

Some random questions.

Roxxxtar

I have 2 GFCI outlets, with four outlets on each. I have 3 controllers that have seemed to meet my needs thus far. However I have bought a ton of stuff this year, as well as another two controllers, and I feel I'm about to be maxed out as far as using those two GFCI's. When I call an electrician, what am I looking for? What do I need?

What should I do with a SEALED LED string, that the globes have been broken off? I have about 3 broken globes, but the lights still work. I would assume the purpose of the globe, is to keep water/dirt out. So isn't the string useless now that the sealed globes are gone?

I have used audacity before, but I'm not sure how to mute the vocals on just one small part of a song.

Thanks for the help guys.

3 minutes ago, Roxxxtar said:

When I call an electrician, what am I looking for? What do I need?

Be careful as they may recommend 1.21 gigawatts.... Just kidding. Sounds like you are needing a few new outlets ran. Since most controllers are 30 amp that may be a good focus point call to make to run new outlets. If you tell them the amps of your controllers and how many you are using, Any good electrician will be upfront and honest and tell you to run new lines from the box or add another breaker box. It honestly depends on your current setup and if you have room for more breakers in your current box. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in here. Many folks in here have upgraded their panels/power for shows.   

26 minutes ago, GriswoldStyle said:

Be careful as they may recommend 1.21 gigawatts.... Just kidding. Sounds like you are needing a few new outlets ran. Since most controllers are 30 amp that may be a good focus point call to make to run new outlets. If you tell them the amps of your controllers and how many you are using, Any good electrician will be upfront and honest and tell you to run new lines from the box or add another breaker box. It honestly depends on your current setup and if you have room for more breakers in your current box. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in here. Many folks in here have upgraded their panels/power for shows.   

+1 , I added a separate box with a 100 amp rating. Ran it from an unused breaker in my main disconnect breaker box. I have 5 20 amp breakers each feeding 2 gfci outlets. With 20 AC controllers and all of my pixie devices I have not tripped a breaker.  Even before hiring an electrician check your local codes to ensure if you need a permit. Unpermitted work could void your insurance in case of property damage or loss (fire). 

If your municipal requires a permit ensure your electrician takes care of this or you may need to. Normally the municipality will put a decal on the inside of the box however mine just keeps it on file and I have a copy in my binder.

I did mine myself since I am comfortable with electricity and as an old HVAC tech did stuff like this all the time.

JR

• Like 1

Another very important and highly recommended tool that every lighter should have, a Kill-A-Watt meter

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kill-A-Watt-Electricity-Monitor-P4400/202196386

This way you can measure exactly what each circuit or outlet is pullung. You would be surprised how much you can actually put on a circuit especially if using LEDs.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

You would be surprised how much you can actually put on a circuit especially if using LEDs.

Very true, This was 2016 with all leds my first year on only a single 16 channel controller. As crazy as it sounds my electric bill only went up $40 that month. It was pushing it but I did it lol Now I learned space them out over many different outlets. Better safe than sorry

599c55e908a4b_ahouse2.jpg.0610b20156fe6dafa7a775db95aa2028.jpg

• Like 1

This is what I was able to accomplish with those three controllers. I guess big light shows aren't that big around here except at Tanglewood Park

25550612_10210750308497439_8136175272789616281_n.jpg

• Like 1