Light-O-Rama Forums

Using CMB24 as single channels

Say watt??

I was looking through the "What's new in S5" literature and in the section where they were talking about old or unused features available in S4 being removed in S5.

The one that caught my attention was "no more RGB splitting". I bought 3 CMB24 boards last year with the intention of doing exactly that; running them as 24 separate channels each. Does this mean if I switch to S5 the new prop I'm building won't work?

• Thanks 1

Gee, I’ll have to tell the single channel devices that are being controlled by DC controllers every night since I converted my show to S5 in January that they really don’t work.  They are working just fine.

I don’t remember any issue building them in an S5 Preview, but I’ll play with that later today when I get to a computer..

If you are using a controller designed for DC outputs I wouldn't imagine you having any problems. I'm referring to a controller that is designed for RGB devices, but could also be set up as single channels in S4 sequence editor. An 8 channel RGB controller can then be used as 24 independent DC channels.

I am using single channels on several CMB16D and CMB24D controllers.  Although the wiring on the 24 is laid out primarily for RGB, it is fully capable of running single channels.  The controller does not care - it FULLY operates as 24 independent channels in all cases.  The fact that we connect RGB devices does not matter at all.

In S5 Preview Editor, here is a single channel being controlled by a CMB16D (in this case, it's three cooling fans being controlled as a single channel):

Fans_Preview_Prop_Definition.png

"The controller does not care - it FULLY operates as 24 independent channels in all cases."

This is exactly what I needed to know. Thank you!

Any idea what was meant by "no more RGB splitting" in S5?

I think they mean that unlike S4 and prior where you could expand the three RGB channels of an RGB channel set and individually control the channels, you can no longer do that.  The preview has to be built with the individual channels as individual channels rather than an RGB channel set.

Good info k6ccc. If it does in fact work the way you are saying, that works for me.

Overall I like the looks of S5 and will most likely upgrade after this season. 

I just hope that in the future LOR doesn't leave the standard controller people in the dust. I realize pixels are all the rage now, I bought my first pixel controller this year myself. However, I can't see myself ever not being mostly incan. I just like the look of them better for Christmas lighting.

36 minutes ago, Say watt?? said:

Overall I like the looks of S5 and will most likely upgrade after this season. 

For people who were not involved with the S5 beta, I am generally NOT recommending that people move to S5, as it's getting fairly late in the prep season to make a major change.  In my case, I have been playing with the S5 beta versions since day one.  Although I did not run my 2017 Christmas show on S5, as soon as I went back to my year round landscaping show I moved the computer playing the show to S5, so I've been playing the landscaping show on S5 since the first week of January without any problems.  I am fully committed to running 2018 on S5.

40 minutes ago, Say watt?? said:

I just hope that in the future LOR doesn't leave the standard controller people in the dust.

I would not expect that.