Light-O-Rama Forums

SPT vampire plug "in-line"

ItsMeBobO

Length and splits in AC lines should not introduce any noticable delays. Lag is usually associated with the controller side of the connections. Cat 5 length, computer capability, interference, for instance. You should NOT split the RS485 cable except with the RS 485 B adapter which has two outputs if you should need to do that.

On August 23, 2018 at 8:55 AM, ItsMeBobO said:

I should have pointed out these females were purchased from LOR last year and they do not have a break off tab.   

Hi Bobo I have probably 30 or 40 of the female vampire plugs for inline since I'm almost all pixels I really don't have a need for them  pm me and I'll send you how many you need   Dennis

I examined the delay issue I was seeing last year and traced it to the generic splitters I picked up at the dollar store. Will not be using them this year. Thanks for the feedback K6ccc

1 hour ago, Goldie1970 said:

Also, I like to change my layout around. Can vampire plugs be removed and the wire reused in a different layout or will the vampire plug leave too big a hole to use safety another time?

I have to agree with @k6ccc that would be nothing but opening the door for more problems. Speaking from first-hand experience. I learned many years ago never to try to attempt to reuse a section of wire you had a vampire plug in. Even though I taped the heck out of it somehow water got in and my yard was wet and boy did I feel it. needless to say after that I learned never do that again and always use GFCI Outlets.

With wire being the price it is for a reel it is always best to buy a couple reels when they are on sale of the 1000 feet. It's better to have too much wire coiled up so you can reposition the same wires each year and much safer than attempting to reuse the wire. It's just not safe. To this day if I only need 20 ft for a wire I will add another 10 ft to it just in case I ever have to trim an end off or want to reposition that same wire somewhere else the following year.

Main thing I learned many years ago in this hobby. There's the proper way to do it, and then there's the hurry up and get it done way of doing it. Nothing good ever comes from the hurry up and get it done method. 

Nothing like electrifying your yard or setting a cord on fire. I have done both back in the late 90's when I was still new to this Hobby.

Just some friendly advice. Always default to the proper way to caution on the side of safety.

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

I

I would recommend against that.  Two issues.  First is a safety issue.  Unlike an unused female outlet along a wire (which you can see), the holes left in the insulation could very easily be missed visually.  Although the hole is small enough that for example you are not going to stick your finger into it (more on that in the next sentence), add a little moisture and salt (like sweat) and there could easily be a conduction path.  Also, with a hole started, there is a far greater chance that the hole will get bigger due to cracking which could leave the damaged section large enough that it could be directly contacted.  The second issue is a wire with a small hole in the insulation laying in wet grass is an invitation to causing GFCI trips.

If you REALLY want to reuse the wire, I would split the wire so you can tape each conductor individually with electrical tape.  Then cover that with another layer of electrical tape or FAR better, a layer of heat shrink tubing (yes, you would have to slide the tubing from one end so there would have to be a clear path with no other connectors).

You have pierced the insulation (typ 300V for SPT).  Is it really worth the hassle a of sealing to save a $?

I put a bunch at a standard spacing. Sometimes I don't use them all, other times I plug another into one of the outlets for a 'branch'

2 MAJOR things.  Maintain Polarity (Wide pin to the Rib. ) for lamp holder shock safety (silver screw).

Do not overload the run (getting hard to do with LED strings), ~3A on vampireplugs as the connection is NOT a 'pressure' (screw) connection.

Thanks Gris, Ducks. Much appreciated. 

I use all LED lights and never have more than 10-12 lines on a channel. I don’t know much about electricity, but from what I’ve read that seems to be acceptable. Will be at 32 channels this year for the first time, any suggestions are always appreciated

24 minutes ago, Goldie1970 said:

Thanks Gris, Ducks. Much appreciated. 

I use all LED lights and never have more than 10-12 lines on a channel. I don’t know much about electricity, but from what I’ve read that seems to be acceptable. Will be at 32 channels this year for the first time, any suggestions are always appreciated

All lights come with volts, watts and amps printed somewhere on the box. You can easily calculate the max per channel.

20 hours ago, Mr. P said:

All lights come with volts, watts and amps printed somewhere on the box. You can easily calculate the max per channel.

And if you cant find the boxes (I sure don't have the room to save them),get a KillaWatt meter to measure each string . (Just don't use it on the LOR outputs or a dimmer).

(It can also show you how much KWR that old refrigerator is sucking )

https://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4460-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B000RGF29Q/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1535221300&sr=8-9&keywords=killawatt+p3

? write  the Amps on the plug with a ultra-fine sharpie (I also write the color of the sting as it is not always obvious when OFF)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I get my SPT plugs from Creative Displays during their pre order sale at the beginning of the year. I see ChristmasLightShow.com has the female inline SPT-1 plugs for $6.00 pkg/10. I prefer the ones from Creative Displays but they are more expensive.

Daryl

• Thanks 1

• The topic was locked