Light-O-Rama Forums

New to This.

Euro92

2 hours ago, debtoews said:

If you are going ribbons (CCR;s I assume) - I would highly suggest you NOT run 16 ribbons on the same network- they will look like crap.  Ive had a 24 ribbon tree that I run over 4 networks.  Depending on the graphics,  running intensity files help too.  If you are looking for some cheap CCR's, I have a lot (24-27) with the controllers Im looking to get rid of and also have an aluminum tubing frame.  Im in Central Cal.  Pm me if your interested- Good Luck!

Hmm, no problems here running 16+ ribbons on one network. As a matter of fact during Beta testing the pixie16 I had 3 pixie 16's and a pixie 8 along with 6 AC controllers on a single network. And if that wasn't enough I added 10 more AC controllers to that and didn't have any problems (Halloween).

For Christmas though I broke it down to 10 networks but still you shouldn't be having problems running a 16 ribbon anything on a network.

Are you running just LOR protocol? I am 100% LOR as mentioned above no complaints.

Maybe processor is creating the problem(s).

JR

Edited by dibblejr

2 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Hmm, no problems here running 16+ ribbons on one network. As a matter of fact during Beta testing the pixie16 I had 3 pixie 16's and a pixie 8 along with 6 AC controllers on a single network. And if that wasn't enough I added 10 more AC controllers to that and didn't have any problems (Halloween).

What speed, and enhanced or not?

Just now, k6ccc said:

What speed, and enhanced or not?

All enhanced 500K. Then my computer crashed and caused me to get that new high speed gaming PC and with that separated everything by props.

My only problem I had was when it was -5 and everything pixel related just stopped working. One by one. Next day at 33 degrees everything came back to life.

Never did find out if there is a temperature issue with pixels however there were others that were experiencing similar problems but of all I read none had shut completely down. My last night of the show during drone video. Once we landed the drone to change batteries we couldn't even get the drone off the ground. All ready lights stayed red.

JR

2 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

All enhanced 500K.

That would be why all that worked...  Back that down to 115K non-enhanced, and it would be horrible...

2 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

That would be why all that worked...  Back that down to 115K non-enhanced, and it would be horrible...

Are we ever gonna see the 1000K mentioned in another thread?

Once in a while, but since only a few devices support it so far, I doubt many people are using it (yet).

19 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Are you running just LOR protocol? 

Yes LOR protocol not DMX.  I run 24 CCR's over 4 networks (6 CCR's per network).  They is no way my system along with everything else I run could handle the data.  It barely does it over 4 networks.  I had to upgrade to S5 only because I was maxed out data load wise in S4.  Remember, I run almost 40 houses plus all my other stuff....its insane- ask Jim!

On 8/31/2018 at 5:55 PM, debtoews said:

If you are going ribbons (CCR;s I assume) - I would highly suggest you NOT run 16 ribbons on the same network- they will look like crap.  Ive had a 24 ribbon tree that I run over 4 networks.  Depending on the graphics,  running intensity files help too.  If you are looking for some cheap CCR's, I have a lot (24-27) with the controllers Im looking to get rid of and also have an aluminum tubing frame.  Im in Central Cal.  Pm me if your interested- Good Luck!

As with dibblejr, I certainly have no trouble running LOTS of CCRs on same network.  Like K6 says, network speed is probably the issue with looking crappy.   And I hope you aren't using ELLs for that.

On 8/30/2018 at 5:21 PM, dibblejr said:

You are welcome. Once you get ready just give me a text/ call.

JR

Still waiting on a computer, the one I got was running so slow. I am going to Best Buy this weekend to see if there is a cheap laptop or desktop with windows already on it so I can use it just for the tree.  So far I haven't been able to download the software, once I do that, I will buy the upgrade and hopefully it will work.  I will send you a message once I have the computer turned on and running> . Thanks so much!

2 minutes ago, rondaxmas said:

Still waiting on a computer, the one I got was running so slow. I am going to Best Buy this weekend to see if there is a cheap laptop or desktop with windows already on it so I can use it just for the tree.

This is what I've been doing for years.  Get a factory refurb from either Dell or TigerDirect.com.  Saves a ton of money.  Most of the refurbs are lease returns - although you would never know it from looking at them.  Never had a problem with any of them.

Yup Jim, you are the Christmas Ninja.  Good idea of refurb.  Also might wait for black Friday.   Last year I updated my really old Win 95 computer with one from Best Buy that was really powerful and during black Friday, the normally $475 was $280.  I was surprised.

?

26 minutes ago, rondaxmas said:

Still waiting on a computer, the one I got was running so slow. I am going to Best Buy this weekend to see if there is a cheap laptop or desktop with windows already on it so I can use it just for the tree.  So far I haven't been able to download the software, once I do that, I will buy the upgrade and hopefully it will work.  I will send you a message once I have the computer turned on and running> . Thanks so much!

No problem. I think I paid about $180 for my sequencing laptop at Office Depot or staples it’s an HP was advertised as a student model or something.

It ran my show without a problem until the show computer went bad. I couldn’t afford to lose my sequencing computer.

At the time Walmart has some cheap ones too. 

Just don’t fall for the “at an extra charge we can remove ALL unwanted software and programs”. 

I did on this cheap laptop. Paid over $100 for that service they had it 3 days and still didn’t remove the stuff they promised.

Just get it and do it yourself.

Just let me know, anytime.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

The actual show computer can be a modest one just as long as it has the connections you need. The sequencing computer is the one that gets bogged down for those who use two different computers.

On 9/1/2018 at 4:05 PM, debtoews said:

Yes LOR protocol not DMX.  I run 24 CCR's over 4 networks (6 CCR's per network).  They is no way my system along with everything else I run could handle the data.  It barely does it over 4 networks.  I had to upgrade to S5 only because I was maxed out data load wise in S4.  Remember, I run almost 40 houses plus all my other stuff....its insane- ask Jim!

Interesting note.  I'm curious what would you say is the limit number of CCRs to run over one network at 500K speed.  Of course, it depends of the complexity of the sequences, yet I am assuming fairly complex ones.  I'm currently running 32 CCRs on one network and don't yet have any issues with pauses or jerking.

Interesting note.  I'm curious what would you say is the limit number of CCRs to run over one network at 500K speed.  Of course, it depends of the complexity of the sequences, yet I am assuming fairly complex ones.  I'm currently running 32 CCRs on one network and don't yet have any issues with pauses or jerking.

I am going to guess that 1600 pixels is going to be pushing the limit on a 500K network - especially if it's a non-enhanced network.  That is ONLY a slightly educated guess however...

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Richard Hamilton said:

Oh my gosh, are you running your entire neighborhood? I am hoping I can get one tree to work.  I have been wanting a LOR for so many years and finally decided this is the year to start with one tree, then add to it once I figure it all out.  You all make it look so simple!   I will check out the student model, i have kids in school so if needed I can show their school id to get it cheaper.    So thankful for this forum, already had someone from ebay offer to wipe a laptop clean for a fee before sending it to me.  Now I know not to do that.