Light-O-Rama Forums

New to This.

Euro92

Hello my name is Steve and I hope to become addicted to this hobby because I am already addicted to my reef tank aquarium.(need another hobbie to spend my money on before the wife spends it) I finally got a new house to display my Christmas lights and have a few questions. First off I have 3 controllers, one pro lor1602wg3 and two ctb16pc . Also going to buy during this sale a pixie 16 and maybe next year or this year try and build a mega tree. My first question is should I run the controllers on one usb- rs485 black adapter and the mega tree on the red rs485 hs. Or can I run the whole show on one red RS485 hs. I will be using a laptop computer to run the show.

Next I am a little confused on how superstar works. If you purchase sequences from him do you still need to buy licenses to run the show or just to modify them. I'm looking into possibly getting 16x50 pixel mega tree going. Thanks all and these forums should be helpful.  Steve

You could try using one black adapter, however if you can afford at least one ( or 2 ) red HS adapters just in case. The pixie16 was found to not need the red adapter however nice to have just in case. As long as everything is Gen3 they will play nice together. However when you get the pixie16 you will need to run it at 500K LOR fastest speed and enhanced. But everything will still connect fine and that is not enough controllers to cause problems.

If you buy the LOR LMS file you do not need to convert so you will not need SS. If you purchase an SUP file it will only open in SS.

Mega Tree easy to make (I did a tutorial on the forums)

pixie16 is easy to use and if you can buy the already assembled do it, time is money. IMO takes time to source all the right parts and put it all together. The plug and play pixie16 is cheaper than the ones I built. They didn't have assembled, all I was able to get was the cards.

When you get the pixie16 shoot me a private message and I will help you set it up. Most people require assistance with the pixie16. It is the easiest LOR controller but a little confusing for the new people.

There are also a lot of free CCR tree sequences from my great friend James Morris and others like Roverdish and a few more I am forgetting atm.

Happy Lighting

JR

Steve, as you are in the area, I wanted to let you know that there will be a SoCal get together in a few weeks.  Info in this thread:

K6ccc that's great. I think I could come to that meeting. I'm just starting out but learning from the pros should be very valuable to me.  Thanks dibblejr for that info.  I think ill try and run the whole show on the red adapter. I will hit you up once I get my pixie16. Super helpful. Thanks

On 8/21/2018 at 12:28 AM, dibblejr said:

You could try using one black adapter, however if you can afford at least one ( or 2 ) red HS adapters just in case. The pixie16 was found to not need the red adapter however nice to have just in case. As long as everything is Gen3 they will play nice together. However when you get the pixie16 you will need to run it at 500K LOR fastest speed and enhanced. But everything will still connect fine and that is not enough controllers to cause problems.

If you buy the LOR LMS file you do not need to convert so you will not need SS. If you purchase an SUP file it will only open in SS.

Mega Tree easy to make (I did a tutorial on the forums)

pixie16 is easy to use and if you can buy the already assembled do it, time is money. IMO takes time to source all the right parts and put it all together. The plug and play pixie16 is cheaper than the ones I built. They didn't have assembled, all I was able to get was the cards.

When you get the pixie16 shoot me a private message and I will help you set it up. Most people require assistance with the pixie16. It is the easiest LOR controller but a little confusing for the new people.

There are also a lot of free CCR tree sequences from my great friend James Morris and others like Roverdish and a few more I am forgetting atm.

Happy Lighting

JR

Hi JR,  If I buy the Pixie16, then do I just buy 16 ribbons or pixel lights and plug them into this and it will run?

3 hours ago, rondaxmas said:

Hi JR,  If I buy the Pixie16, then do I just buy 16 ribbons or pixel lights and plug them into this and it will run?

It’s a little more complicated, but I will help you. You can get either pixels or ccr ribbons however if you want images the ribbons are a little better.

The pixie is the easiest by far.

I will take the time to explain it to you.

I can actually get you set up even before you get your equipment thus allowing you to sequence and plug and play it when you have everything.

PM me a # and good time to call. I am Central time.

i can send you a tree vis 

Also I am retired so have a lot of time during the day and evening.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Thanks, I took him up on his generous offer to help me.  I just bought the software and thought I could use my son's laptop but he takes it to school everyday.  i have a Mac so I am on the hunt for a used cheap laptop that has windows already on it so I can download the software.  Hope to have something by this weekend!

are there videos on here on how to build the tree? I searched youtube and saw some connected to house but i can't connect to it.  Talking to my son this week to see if he can cement a pipe in the ground that I can use.

I apologize, I sent you everything except the link to my build.

I am in cell now but if you search for LOR CCR tree build you should find it with a list and price of all materials.

Was you able to view the Drop Box folder?

JR

1 hour ago, dibblejr said:

I apologize, I sent you everything except the link to my build.

I am in cell now but if you search for LOR CCR tree build you should find it with a list and price of all materials.

Was you able to view the Drop Box folder?

JR

I couldn't open them, maybe because I was on a Mac.? Should have a windows laptop by the weekend to try it again.  I will search it again.  Thank you!

54 minutes ago, rondaxmas said:

I couldn't open them, maybe because I was on a Mac.? Should have a windows laptop by the weekend to try it again.  I will search it again.  Thank you!

You are welcome. Once you get ready just give me a text/ call.

JR

18 hours ago, dibblejr said:

You are welcome. Once you get ready just give me a text/ call.

JR

Thank you so much,  I got an email with license number for software, do I download that once I get my computer, and then use that to upgrade to the Professional one, or upgrade by purchasing it now and just downloading the upgraded one?

4 minutes ago, rondaxmas said:

Thank you so much,  I got an email with license number for software, do I download that once I get my computer, and then use that to upgrade to the Professional one, or upgrade by purchasing it now and just downloading the upgraded one?

The software download page is:

http://www1.lightorama.com/sequencing-software-download/

You can download the software at any time.  When you run it the first time, enter the registration code and it will validate the code and apply whatever license level you purchased.  If you later purchase an upgrade or SuperStar, it is the same license code, so all you have to do is run the registration utility and when the software validates the code, it will get the upgraded license level.

43 minutes ago, rondaxmas said:

Sorry, driving down the road.

I see Jim took care of this question.

Does that mean you got the computer? Yay!

we can do some work. Just let me know via text when ready

JR

5 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Sorry, driving down the road.

Put down your phone and drive :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, k6ccc said:

Put down your phone and drive :)

I never stop, if LOR came out with an app that would be great

15 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

BTW- I was sitting for a train and was able to type all of this and a pm to yoy

Long train...

Yea, I have been known to grab the phone when waiting for a long red light.  Don't do it as often as I used to though.  Has nothing to do with a law change here in California, but rather my need for reading glasses.  Unless it's real important or time sensitive, it's more trouble than it's worth to take off the sunglasses and put on the reading glasses, and then reverse that to get back to driving...

If you are going ribbons (CCR;s I assume) - I would highly suggest you NOT run 16 ribbons on the same network- they will look like crap.  Ive had a 24 ribbon tree that I run over 4 networks.  Depending on the graphics,  running intensity files help too.  If you are looking for some cheap CCR's, I have a lot (24-27) with the controllers Im looking to get rid of and also have an aluminum tubing frame.  Im in Central Cal.  Pm me if your interested- Good Luck!