Light-O-Rama Forums

Just got done building my seven and a half foot tall singing Snowman

GriswoldStyle

Well it took most of the day but I did this using dumb RGB nodes so I can change the colors based on the singing voice being male or female in changing color for different songs. The RGB pixel arches are from another Lor user. I did not build those. Just figured I would post some of the before and after pictures.fuum93.jpg1zqcz6r.jpgj6u4c7.jpg

This was just a test sequence so I need to perfect it a little better. but when it's all said and done it's only about $50 worth of material to build it between the plywood the coroplast and the screws. 

In order to make the radius is I used a piece of weather stripping put a screw on one end of it and drilled holes out at different links to put a pencil in and use it as a pivoting arm to create the overlapping circles for the Snowman body.

It's not the greatest but hey I spent 12 hours on it LOL. Most of that was soldering all the dumb RGB nodes.

Edited by GriswoldStyle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, james morris said:

Looks great very good job

Thanks man. Now I have to Perfect all my songs now that I have a life-size tester lol. after being out in the sun for 12 hours I didn't even check all my typos yesterday LOL. The video does it no justice. I didn't realize how popular it was going to be until it stopped traffic in it's tracks and people were getting out to see it yesterday and all my neighbors started coming down to see what I had built lol. Now comes the fun part is rebuilding my mega tree. I'm letting my two boys do all the rgb mini trees. That way they can take the little job while I tackle the big one. I got enough dumb RGB nodes left so I'm just going to use those on the tree this year next year I'll upgrade to pixels.

Edited by GriswoldStyle

2 hours ago, GriswoldStyle said:

Thanks man. Now I have to Perfect all my songs now that I have a life-size tester lol. after being out in the sun for 12 hours I didn't even check all my typos yesterday LOL. The video does it no justice. I didn't realize how popular it was going to be until it stopped traffic in it's tracks and people were getting out to see it yesterday and all my neighbors started coming down to see what I had built lol. Now comes the fun part is rebuilding my mega tree. I'm letting my two boys do all the rgb mini trees. That way they can take the little job while I tackle the big one. I got enough dumb RGB nodes left so I'm just going to use those on the tree this year next year I'll upgrade to pixels.

should have been 16ft of snowman so that it can be seen from space.

7 minutes ago, caniac said:

should have been 16ft of snowman so that it can be seen from space.

That's a great plan for next year... Lol

29 minutes ago, GriswoldStyle said:

That's a great plan for next year... Lol

True Griswold is go big or go home!! lol  We have a 20ft inflatable Santa, planes have to fly around it!! lol

Thanks for the "thanks". Now you have more work, need 3 more of them for the backups. LOL

Great job.

JR

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Thanks for the "thanks". Now you have more work, need 3 more of them for the backups. LOL

Great job.

JR

Maybe some baby ones lol. Next year maybe.

Just now, GriswoldStyle said:

Maybe some baby ones lol. Next year maybe.

If you have a "Pepsi" sponsored gas station around you, maybe you could ask them if they have any of the 36" diameter round Pepsi coro promotional stuff. Just need a little white paint and drill holes.

I have about 10-12 of them from my n-laws gas station.

They just get tossed after promos. That goes for all the coro promos at gas stations/ conv stores.

JR

21 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

If you have a "Pepsi" sponsored gas station around you, maybe you could ask them if they have any of the 36" diameter round Pepsi coro promotional stuff. Just need a little white paint and drill holes.

I have about 10-12 of them from my n-laws gas station.

They just get tossed after promos. That goes for all the coro promos at gas stations/ conv stores.

JR

yeah people around here don't really give that stuff away they'd rather break it up so nobody else can have it. It's cheap here for the Coroplast though. I get 8' by 4' sheets for 19 bucks at Home Depot. Being in the decal business I go through alot of Coro for signs. Mainly 4mm and if I get 3 to 4 years out of it I'm happy for that price LOL blBut it would be nice to get it for free locally lol

On 8/5/2018 at 2:57 PM, GriswoldStyle said:

yeah people around here don't really give that stuff away they'd rather break it up so nobody else can have it. It's cheap here for the Coroplast though. I get 8' by 4' sheets for 19 bucks at Home Depot. Being in the decal business I go through alot of Coro for signs. Mainly 4mm and if I get 3 to 4 years out of it I'm happy for that price LOL blBut it would be nice to get it for free locally lol

have you looked at 10mm coro?  Have you talked to James at Boscoyo?  If you can imagine it he can build it and he uses the heavy duty coro, it's what my tombstones are.  He has done a few custom pieces for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Just in case the share link through the pm Didn't work, here's a tag for you so you know where it's at @hmbooms

Edited by GriswoldStyle

• 2 months later...
  • The topic was locked