Light-O-Rama Forums

Can I place different controller channels together?

Kapkirk

I am adding 7 new channels for roof lights on our street for 7 homes, so due to distance they will be coming from different controllers. In order to make sequencing easier to see while I sequence them I have changed channel numbers next to each other in the sequence to the channel of a different controller.

Like unit 7.11, 7.12, 7.13, 6.16, 8.1, 8.2, 8.3. The big change was taking unused channel 6.16 from the mega tree controller and assigning 7.14 to 6.16 so it was in middle of sequence. And the roof light it controls was near the mega tree.

These are all on the screen at the same time so I can sequence them easier, can you see any future issues If i change channel's in this way?

You can move channels around to your heart's content.  Since you are using S4, what you really want to do is use multiple tracks.  The first track will become your master track and you NEVER move or delete ANYTHING in the master track.  New channels are ALWAYS added to the bottom of the master track.  Then use the second track to re-arrange the channels as much as you want.

Jim

Thanks for the info. I understood the first sentence I can move to my hearts content. The rest has got to be a foreign language, second track? I will have to go back and watch more of the LOR videos to get what a second track is. And the sad thing is I sat in and took notes with my neighbor in a sequence class last year for 5 or 6 weeks. Oh well like they say you can lead a horse to water.

Thanks Again for the help, Keith

As Jim stated, you never want to move channels around in SE as it can screw up your programming in a major way. You also always want to add new channels to the bottom of your sequence as adding them in the middle can also screw it up.

Now if you want to move channels so you can place them together for easier programming then that is where you use TRACKS.  Watch the video to learn more about tracks.

Edited by Mr. P

Jim and Mr P

Ok I get it now, and I do remember now the time taken on tracks, I just didn't't put it into practice and forgot about tracks and looks like I have been doing more work than I had to. I will have to put my master back to normal and then try the tracks.

I didn't move the channel like John did in the tutorial, I changed the channel number to the new number in the space for that controller because it wasn't being used for the Mega tree and that controller was near the string for that roof.

I haven't finished the video yet but I will before I go any further, but I am thinking I will have to leave that string the way it is. I think I will finish one sequence and then do a trial run before I do the other 10 songs, hate to take the time to do all 11 songs/sequences to find out it didn't work like I thought.

Appreciate all your expertise and help

Keith

Glad you got it.  tracks are VERY useful - and will keep your channel layout straightened out.

Take a look at this thread.  It's an oldie but goodie.

• The topic was locked