Light-O-Rama Forums

Leaping Arch Question

jevely

This year I'm going to devote one 16 channel controller to Leaping Arches. I would like to get some input on which would be a more impressive display - 3 arches with 5 segments or 2 arches with 7 segments?

Maybe 5 or even 7 segments are not enough to get a fluid motion. Any thoughts?

I've also noticed that a lot of people use odd numbers of segments; is this to have a segment centered in the middle of the arch?

Thanks,
Jim

Jim -

7 Segments will certainly give you a smoother motion through the arch. It would depend on how big the arch is, and how fast the motion is moving through them. I believe most people use an odd number of channels per color per arch so that they have a "center" position.

D.T.

How about four 7 channel arches and have them paired off. 1 and 4 together and 2 and 3 together. This would give you a lot of sequencing options and still use less than one controller.
7 channels look very smooth. See any of my 07 videos for proof.
www.claremontchristmaslights.com

How about having 1 and 3 together and 2 and 4 together? This way, all arches could scan in the same direction, or the first 2 and the last 2 could either scan towards each other or away from each other. In this case, the middle 2 would be the opposite of the outer 2 pairs.

Can I tag on to this arch question on the length of each segment ?

Is 24 inches for each of 7 segments too big? My test tells me this will be 5 strings of 50 minis on 3/4 in PVC. I bought minis which are 4 inches apart so the wire is shorter. Oops! :( I thought I was doing a good thing.

How common is it for people to cut and splice 100s down to single wire 50s versus just using the minis as they come with three wires?

ItsMeBobO wrote:

How common is it for people to cut and splice 100s down to single wire 50s versus just using the minis as they come with three wires?

I've done it a dozen times over the past few months and haven't had a problem. I think it's probably one of those person preference situations... to me it's just easier to cut them down than go buy some 50s.