Light-O-Rama Forums

Uninstall S4 before installing S5

racerc20

Carl,

Yes. However be sure to back up ALL of your existing Sequences and put them in a safe place. Copy back any sequences into you will want to update with S5. S5 changes the way sequences are formatted. This way you will have a good working copy of S4 sequences to fall back on should you want/need to.

Alan...

1 hour ago, racerc20 said:

Do we need to uninstall S4 before loading S5

Maybe is a better answer.  It likely will work without an uninstall of S4, but if there are problems, as default said, do a complete un-install (including deleting the Light-O-Rama directory in the Program files directory) and then install S5.  Going the other way (S5 to S4) pretty much requires an uninstall then install - during the beta, I went back and forth many times on as many as five computers.  Going back and forth is more likely to cause issues than a single upgrade from S4 to S5.  Note that there will be some "leftovers" if you don't un-install and delete the Light-O-Rama directory in the Program files directory - hence the recommendation.

Note:  If you are using a 64 bit Operating System, the Light-O-Rama directory will be in C:\Program Files (x86) as opposed to C:\Program Files.  If you are using a 32 bit OS, ignore this line...

I went back and forth from S4 to S5 multiple times during the beta (on two computers) and then to the official S5 release, all without first uninstalling the previous version.  Never encountered an issue, but as Alan said I would make a copy of your sequences in case you want to go back to S4 and you saved them in S5.

Thanks guys seamless   already messing around adding my matrix to my old files.

Learning away.  Any good place for some 8 bit images   my matrix is 20H by 48 W

On 8/4/2018 at 12:24 PM, kcny said:

I went back and forth from S4 to S5 multiple times during the beta (on two computers) and then to the official S5 release, all without first uninstalling the previous version.  Never encountered an issue, but as Alan said I would make a copy of your sequences in case you want to go back to S4 and you saved them in S5.

Likewise.  Went from 4 to 5 without uninstalling.   Everything works great.  Even though I do have backups of the prior sequence files, it seems to make no difference since S5 appears to convert and save the file as a new extension name type of file anyway.  That's smart in my opinion.

Edited by Richard Hamilton

You should have no problems going 4 to 5 without uninstalling.

There could be issues going back from 5 to 4, even with an uninstall.  We are aware of the issues.  The fix is to uninstall and then make sure program files(x86)\light-o-rama is empty.

Possibly related, but can S4 and S5 co-exist on the same computer?

As this is early enough, I'm likely to migrate to S5, but if I don't have time, or have issues with the migration, I would like to keep S4 for the season.  But it might be the case that I install S5 (after a backup, of course), and if I won't be able to use it, reinstall S4 (and restore the backup).  Might also be the case that I will need to pilot on a different computer.  Suggestions are welcome.

No, you can not have S4 and S5 on the same machine, unless you are using one in something like a virtual machine.

7 hours ago, randyf said:

Possibly related, but can S4 and S5 co-exist on the same computer?

As this is early enough, I'm likely to migrate to S5, but if I don't have time, or have issues with the migration, I would like to keep S4 for the season.  But it might be the case that I install S5 (after a backup, of course), and if I won't be able to use it, reinstall S4 (and restore the backup).  Might also be the case that I will need to pilot on a different computer.  Suggestions are welcome.

Unfortunately the answer is no. I can't remember which one it was it was either Matt or devmike who mentioned in another thread that they cannot Coexist on the same computer as it will cause a dll nightmare.

I ended up going back to S4 so I didn't have to Re do everything I was already working on mainly as the preview versus visualizer had a bit of a learning curve for me and I did not take part in the beta so it was more user unaccustomed issues for me. But I bought another computer specifically to put S5 on to practice and get ready for next year. I got lucky when I was looking on the Mecari app then found an Immaculate condition Windows 7 laptop from a lady that couldn't figure out how to reset the battery. Needless to say I bought it for $50 even after I explained to her how easy it was to reset the battery on a Toshiba laptop she said she already had a new computer anyways and sold it to me for 50 bucks just to be done with it.

That's going to be my guinea pig computer for S5. Once more tutorials come out then I'll have a much easier time working with S5.

Edited by GriswoldStyle

• 1 year later...

Is there any change to this status (IE: for S4 and S5 to coexist on the same machine)?
I am tech-savvy enough to install one or the other in a virtual machine, but is there an easier way?

I have a bunch of cool utilities I wrote to manipulate S4 xml files and there will be significant work involved to get them to work with the (much different) S5 files.  Which I will eventually do, but for now...

13 minutes ago, DrWizard said:

Is there any change to this status (IE: for S4 and S5 to coexist on the same machine)?
I am tech-savvy enough to install one or the other in a virtual machine, but is there an easier way?

No change as far as I know.  I think the VM method is it - or separate computers.