Light-O-Rama Forums

Multiple errors when importing S4 visualizer

GriswoldStyle

Does this mean I have to start all over?  When importing a visualizer file it pops up all of the following... They all work fine in S4 but now in the preview of S5 after import half the stuff is not there in the preview. Some are duplicates in visualizer but others for example is an arches prop. I only shows the first channel. Not all 5 channels of the arch.... Also, Channel names no longer on left like in visualizer?

I really like how the preview (visual) looked and thats the first time my cpu didnt lag the animation lol ..... but half the stuff is lost so Im thinking I have to start over

These channels had no match in the preview and have been archived. This means they can still appear in the sequence grid, but they cannot drive lights.
3 -12 (LOR: Regular, unit 03, circuit 12)
3 -13 (LOR: Regular, unit 03, circuit 13)
3 -14 (LOR: Regular, unit 03, circuit 14)
DG COLUMN 1  -  4-5 (LOR: Regular, unit 04, circuit 5)
DG Column 5  -  4-9 (LOR: Regular, unit 04, circuit 9)
CCD 09 s1 - LR (LOR: Regular, unit 09, circuit 151)
CCD 09 s1 - MM (LOR: Regular, unit 09, circuit 152)
CCD 09 s1 - MS (LOR: Regular, unit 09, circuit 153)
CCD 09 s1 - ME (LOR: Regular, unit 09, circuit 154)
CCD 09 s1 - CM (LOR: Regular, unit 09, circuit 155)
CCD 09 s1 - CS (LOR: Regular, unit 09, circuit 156)
CCD 09 s1 - CI (LOR: Regular, unit 09, circuit 157)
CCD 09 s2 - LR (LOR: Regular, unit 09, circuit 311)
CCD 09 s2 - MM (LOR: Regular, unit 09, circuit 312)
CCD 09 s2 - MS (LOR: Regular, unit 09, circuit 313)
CCD 09 s2 - ME (LOR: Regular, unit 09, circuit 314)
CCD 09 s2 - CM (LOR: Regular, unit 09, circuit 315)
CCD 09 s2 - CS (LOR: Regular, unit 09, circuit 316)
CCD 09 s2 - CI (LOR: Regular, unit 09, circuit 317)
CMB 08 p8 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p1 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p2 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p3 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p4 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p5 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p6 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p7 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p8 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p9 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p10 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p11 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p12 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p13 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p14 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p15 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p16 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p17 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p18 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p19 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p20 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p21 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p22 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p23 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p24 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p25 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p26 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p27 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p28 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p29 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p30 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p31 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p32 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p33 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p34 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p35 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p36 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p37 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p38 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p39 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p40 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p41 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p42 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p43 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p44 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p45 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p46 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p47 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p48 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p49 (RGB)
CCD 09 s2 p50 (RGB)

Names of channels are indeed there... I zoomed in and found them. However duplicate channels /copied props are there in list but not active in preview.

For example, I had 1 arch showing up in s5 preview. In visualizer, there are 4 duplicate arches on roof. In preview of s5 it only shows one on left side where there  should be 3 more side by side (all duplicates of first one) First one then 3 other copies of number 1 .

Next example is rgb snowman I created. In Visualizer the snowman shows up perfect. But previews in s5 only show his left eye, mouth and outline lol. (In s4 thats a copy/duplicate for his right eye. Meaning left eye, then just copied and pasted same thing in visualizer for right eye)

The spiral trees same thing and arches over driveway same issue. Anything duplicate or (copy) only shows first one. Not the copy.

What I am thinking is it relates to copies/duplicates only. Those are the only problems I am seeing when I import visualizer to a preview. It only affects the duplicate copies of a prop or fixture.

If I create one arch in visualizer,  I normally just copy that and paste a second or third since it is duplicating exactly what the first one does. Im thinking it has to do with just duplicates (copy and pasted copies) Probably my fault somehow. Still trying to figure this out lol. That was the first thing I came across. Sent the file you requested. Hope it explains better so you can advise where I messed up lol

Yes, there is a trick to handling the duplicates, but I'm not on a computer with S5 so I can't walk you through it at the moment.  It relates to a box near the upper right corner called something like "same channel as".  I was just doing it last night, but I would need to look at the Preview Editor to give detailed instructions.

20 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Yes, there is a trick to handling the duplicates, but I'm not on a computer with S5 so I can't walk you through it at the moment.  It relates to a box near the upper right corner called something like "same channel as".  I was just doing it last night, but I would need to look at the Preview Editor to give detailed instructions.

Thank you, I did see those up there and just checked and they were all correct. Then as I closed the modify, I see save up top left. Something told me to click it. I clicked save then previewed again and BOOM it worked.

So if anyone else has this problem with duplicates when importing visualizer, Just go to the preview design page, Then go to your (copy) item and double click. This will pull up the prop definition box. If the "Use same channel as" *other prop* is correct but was not showing, Just exit and click save. Somehow the save corrected the import like magic in my case. Have no idea how. I did not change anything.

Just saved the preview editor and it worked. After that I played the sequence and the preview was indeed working.. That problem is indeed solved in my case...

Now have no idea what the multiple errors were all about but the other problem with duplicates seems resolved.

okay so after sitting back and having a ? I decided I would start going in and manually checking the channels that were listed as errors. it doesn't seem there was an error other than that just did not import them... so what I did is went in and manually set those channels and saved them. This appears to be working but I have not gone full-blown test yet.

Now one thing I cannot seem to figure out is to copy and paste again. In S4 I could just copy the prop and paste a duplicate wherever I wanted it on screen.... that's the only thing I can't seem to figure out now.

still learning it but after playing around a little bit I've figured a couple things out but that's one thing I cannot figure out is when I import the visualizer, is there a way to delete one of the column props  since it is off center and then copy the first one i have, and paste as a duplicate since both do the same thing with the same channels like I could in S4?

13 minutes ago, GriswoldStyle said:

Now have no idea what the multiple errors were all about but the other problem with duplicates seems resolved.

Glad you got it working! The errors were for channels in your SE sequence that did not match anything in your Visualizer file. In S5, such items get "archived" -- they are still part of the sequence but they no longer control lights. Archived items have an "@" prefix when listed in the grid. This can happen for several reasons:

1) these are items you had in your display at one time, but not any more

2) these ARE items in your display, but you didn't have them in your Visualizer file

3) these are beat channels. S5 handles beat channels separately, so they can be frozen at the top of your sequence grid and always in view.

You can see the archived items by changing the grid view to "Show All Items".

If you go to Sequence > Manage Archived Props, you can select how each of the archived items should be handled - buttons for all 3 scenarios outlined above are provided on the Archive Management window.

You can also choose to just leave the archived items as they are. Then you can copy/paste their sequencing to other props/channels.

Matt

image.png

image.png

6 minutes ago, GriswoldStyle said:

Now one thing I cannot seem to figure out is to copy and paste again. In S4 I could just copy the prop and paste a duplicate wherever I wanted it on screen.... that's the only thing I can't seem to figure out now.

There is no copy/paste in Preview Design (but it is on our "to do" list). You can copy an item by selecting a prop, then choosing Item > Copy from the menu. This is an "intelligent copy" in that it knows about numeric suffixes in item names and will auto-increment that number in the copies that are made. It will also assign the next available channel to the copy(s) so that channels don't overlap.

Note that if you are doing that just to align some lights, there is no reason to delete. There are many formatting commands that will align props -- just select the props then right-click and choose the type of alignment or spacing you want to perform.

Matt

• 3 months later...
On 8/3/2018 at 2:36 PM, MattBrown said:

Glad you got it working! The errors were for channels in your SE sequence that did not match anything in your Visualizer file. In S5, such items get "archived" -- they are still part of the sequence but they no longer control lights. Archived items have an "@" prefix when listed in the grid. This can happen for several reasons:

1) these are items you had in your display at one time, but not any more

2) these ARE items in your display, but you didn't have them in your Visualizer file

3) these are beat channels. S5 handles beat channels separately, so they can be frozen at the top of your sequence grid and always in view.

You can see the archived items by changing the grid view to "Show All Items".

If you go to Sequence > Manage Archived Props, you can select how each of the archived items should be handled - buttons for all 3 scenarios outlined above are provided on the Archive Management window.

You can also choose to just leave the archived items as they are. Then you can copy/paste their sequencing to other props/channels.

Matt

image.png

image.png

Matt, I am having an archive issue going from S4 to S5 as well. With mine, there are multiple props (I'll just stick with Roof 7 for this) that are forcefully archived. The props are indeed in the preview, and the channel numbers are correct. If I go into managed the archived props and add Roof 7 back in, it does but creates "Roof 7 (2)" and adds it as a new random dot in the preview, because now there are 2 instances of Roof 7.

Any thoughts? 

Aaron

4 minutes ago, DocBrown86 said:

Matt, I am having an archive issue going from S4 to S5 as well. With mine, there are multiple props (I'll just stick with Roof 7 for this) that are forcefully archived. The props are indeed in the preview, and the channel numbers are correct. If I go into managed the archived props and add Roof 7 back in, it does but creates "Roof 7 (2)" and adds it as a new random dot in the preview, because now there are 2 instances of Roof 7.

During the sequence upgrade process, matching an S4 channel to an S5 prop isn't done by name, but rather by the physical channel settings. I'm guessing that "Roof 7" and "Roof 7 (2)" have different channel settings. You might want to make a copy of your 2018 preview and call the copy "S5 Upgrade" (or 2017 Christmas). In the "S5 Upgrade" preview, assign the channels the way they were last year, then use that preview when upgrading sequences. After a sequence is upgraded, select Sequence > Assign Different Preview to switch to your 2018 preview with this year's channel assignments.

Matt