Light-O-Rama Forums

License upgrade

GriswoldStyle

If this sounds dumb it's ok. I pride myself in asking dumb questions ? I mean we are all dumb to certain things until we comprehend them.

I'm am using S4 and have been since I got the showtime starter back in 2016. I am not familiar with software series upgrades to new versions such as S5. I have upgraded to advanced previously but now want to upgrade to pro. Will this upgrade apply to S4 or will it allow me to go up to pro level S5? I don't want to have to start license levels all over again. My license did show valid through 5.6 or something like that when I last upgraded

Second question, I have been sequencing on S4, will those sequences be ok on the mini director SD card if I add sequences from S5 as well? or will I need to resequence them in S5. Just want to understand everything before I upgrade.

If it was a dumb question, like it anyways lol. Pretty sure my mind is boggled from sequencing all afternoon and I'm just not thinking clearly lol

Edited by GriswoldStyle

No dumb questions here.

No answers from me but I will say that K6CCC has stated that the faces did work going from 4 to 5. Not sure on the sequencing part of them but I do not see S5 in my future. Would love to because I feel my show may be getting bogged down with RGB stuff and with DevMike opening comment he eludes to the fact that S5 is more for "Mega RGB displays". Now if I only knew what makes it mega,

JR

So far no problems running S4 sequences on a show computer running S5.  Been doing so nightly since January.  And yes, the computer running the landscaping show starting when it gets dark in about two hours got updated to S5.1.0 a couple hours ago.

The landscaping show is successfully running on 5.1.0 as of a few minutes ago.

Thank you guys for clarifying. One more question.

Is there a way to keep S4 on my computer and install S5? That way I can learn S5 but still utilize S4? not sure if there is a way to do that but I definitely would like to try to but if I put it on another computer it's going to cause me to have to contact Lor to reset my licenses on computers because two of them I don't have anymore. just wondering if it is possible to have both versions on the same computer.

10 hours ago, Mr. P said:

When you upgrade you get a renewal so it will cover S5.

I am at S4 Pro so there isn't anything for me to upgrade to.

7 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Yours would be a renewal.

only renewal option is S4, renewed last year so it shouldn't be expired but does not cover S5 5.1.x

S5 5.0 is ALL BETA.  I am in the IT field and you don't use BETA on production machines.  I have an opinion about this (Cheech and Chong did a skit about it) but won't share it because they will move my warning points to 6,000 or ban me.

License Status

Summary

Your license does not cover the latest version, 5.1.*. To use this version, you will have to purchase a license renewal.

However, you can continue to use version 5.0.* or lower without renewing your license.

Details

LOR Feature Level: Pro
SuperStar Feature Level: 24_CCR
Max Version: 5.0.*

Edited by caniac

If you renewed now it would cover you for one year and up to something like v5.6

However, S5 is beta so I wouldn't renew now until it moves to retail.

16 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

You missed it Mr. P - S5.1.0 was released as production yesterday.

Hmmmmm, I didn't see the announcment. Did I miss the Summer Sale too?  ?

1 hour ago, GriswoldStyle said:

Thank you guys for clarifying. One more question.

Is there a way to keep S4 on my computer and install S5? That way I can learn S5 but still utilize S4? not sure if there is a way to do that but I definitely would like to try to but if I put it on another computer it's going to cause me to have to contact Lor to reset my licenses on computers because two of them I don't have anymore. just wondering if it is possible to have both versions on the same computer.

Someone may figure out a way to have both, but so far no one has stated that they figured out a way.  So assume that you can’t have both on the same computer.

As for having LOR reset your seat count, it’s no problem.  I have done it several times as computers are replaced (or in one case an ancient laptop that was tested only to find that it was too slow to play a musical show - used once).  Just open a support ticket and I normally list the recent changes - for example: Replaced XP computer wth Windows 7 computer.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Hmmmmm, I didn't see the announcment. Did I miss the Summer Sale too?  ?

DevMike posted about a half dozen messages a little after lunch (Pacific Time) yesterday.  There are new forum sections too.  See the announcements section.

28 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

What the? Where the? How did?   Am I losing it?

Yeah it was refreshing feed and all of a sudden all kinds of post bombs by devmike that the beta was over and it was full run now. It made me question everything I know and had to read all of it probably 5 times before I comprehended it wasn't a joke lol.

38 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Someone may figure out a way to have both, but so far no one has stated that they figured out a way.  So assume that you can’t have both on the same computer.

As for having LOR reset your seat count, it’s no problem.  I have done it several times as computers are replaced (or in one case an ancient laptop that was tested only to find that it was too slow to play a musical show - used once).  Just open a support ticket and I normally list the recent changes - for example: Replaced XP computer wth Windows 7 computer.

I remember on XP I used to be able to install a program under a different user account and have a totally different version of the same program for another user. I had photoimpact X3 on one account and photoimpact XL for another. I'm wondering if this may work the same on Windows 7 possibly. Might have to play around a little. Thank you for the info :)

You can not have both S4 and S5 on the same computer due to the way we have to register the DLLs (library files).  if you try it, you will break things and possibly put yourself into something us developers call 'DLL Hell'.  - Where you have confused Windows to the point where it can not determine what DLL is loaded and what isn't.  There is nothing we can do for you if that happens except tell you to re-install Windows.

Ahhh I have heard about dll hell before. My wife's it department is dealing with that because people at the offices don't follow protocol...

Thanks for the heads up. Don't want to do that.... I think I'll just stick with keeping one version lol

Like ForrestGump says...."I think I'll go home now" ?

Edited by GriswoldStyle

DLL Hell is not fun.  I usually get hit with it 2 or 3 times a year, and I am super careful.  I get hit with it a lot since we may have many different versions of things floating around that I have to constantly switch in and out.  

-- case in point:  just now finished recovering from it due to issues with one of our libraries.  Matt is now having the same issue, so it's something we did with our code.

It wouldn't be so bad if all you had to do was search the registry for the DLL/OCX name and delete the entries.  No, that's just the first step.  Then you have to search for all the CLIDs that you find with the DLL name.  Then you have to find the CLIDs referenced in those CLIDs repeating until you get to the top of the tree.

This is my top level of DLL hell for LORChannelIO - I just finished cleaning these:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{0DB1A247-B703-4D47-81C6-3C8B88819A16}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{1FE94D5C-28F8-41CC-8A32-3A028A41C6C1}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{2BB75C53-7835-45D4-A8F0-05C04A2C2C63}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{32346E1A-F6AC-415C-A62D-A8858A3F173A}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{323AB541-B572-43B1-A436-128534E4CC68}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{3B18A897-0D61-4DEB-9CDC-B0EDE4B6CF89}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{3FF1569C-9F6D-48D5-A66B-5D2AB9481289}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{4166AB1C-2D72-41ED-B1E6-286B5944E303}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{6BE26822-ADE9-4D63-9C4A-DE2808574AE6}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{6CB73610-FA20-46FD-A9D5-6A12A6B64242}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{7072F258-C8B2-4E8D-A115-D773E740BD98}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{721A5E84-7A81-4145-87C6-6DB805ED3DDC}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{8E06485F-394C-4BE1-8E74-F0B549DFEE57}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{91B7FD73-1640-4EEF-B560-B579D22349D3}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{A345EA79-DA47-4997-9916-2B70769E5D9A}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{B24AD658-CD38-4A30-A673-000A5BFFB143}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{D52B575F-53A0-4174-AD07-2646CD888EEF}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{F16F9215-8911-425D-8A43-1CE7BFC9CD7B}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{FAA5E6A8-ED53-4389-BF6B-7220140A9411}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WOW6432Node\CLSID\{4664536C-1C47-4768-8624-7F8F6B81D414}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\335FE4904BFA486498B058BF53CAF5F9

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Visual Basic\6.0\{323AB541-B572-43B1-A436-128534E4CC68}#37.1
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Visual Basic\6.0\{323AB541-B572-43B1-A436-128534E4CC68}#38.0

I deleted all those keys.  Next I have to take all those long numbers, and search for THEM.  When I find them I have to copy any CLIDs THEY reference and delete them as well.  The process repeats until there are no more CLIDs to be found.  You could run many levels deep on each key.  This usually turns out to be an all-day exercise.