Light-O-Rama Forums
bbrescia

Load time in 5.24. RC2

It seems to me that the load time on a musical sequence is fairly long under RC2. You get the "time wheel" with the little dots circling around until finally you can play the sequence (green arrows ON). I assume that this is the light intensity data loading. My concern is that when we go to build a show, that each sequence will take that same amount of time to load so you will have extraordinary wait times between songs. Or will it buffer the data in advance?

Thanks!

Bob

Big difference between loading the sequence in the sequencer and into the show player.  This is particularly true if you are using intensity files for the lights data. 

For example in my 2017 show, all songs were all intensity files except for one channel (since you could not have zero channels).  That meant that the .lms files will less than 1K byte and could load essentially instantly.  The intensity file is read and gets sent out the network connections in real time so the entire file never has to load.  Note that I was running S4 in 2017.  On the day after the Christmas light show ended, I changed the show playing computer to S5 for my landscape lighting show.  It has run flawlessly all year.  I will be S5 for Halloween and Christmas 2018.

• Thanks 1

To add to what Jim said,

One step that has not been discussed is that S4/S5 will compress the sequence before it is run through show player. Show Player will create an .lcs file in the show directory.
For my example below, the 2018 Wonderful World .loredit file is the file that is created when I edit this sequence. If you notice it is 409,178kb in size. This sequence is is comprised of Motion Effects only, a combo of gif pictures and regular Motion Effects. The song length is 3:07. (not that long) This is the biggest file I have, it takes almost 3 minutes to load in S5 Sequencer.

After I "Create Playback Files" through Sequencer, the play file 2018 Wonderful World.play.lms.pe.lid files created is 33,254mb, This is the intensity file. as explained above, if I were to copy the 2018 Wonderful World.play.lms.pe.lid and the 2018 Wonderful World.play.lms to a show PC and create a show, Show player would create a compressed file the first time it plays. There can be a delay while the song is being compressed, but it is only the first time it is played. Once the compressed file is created there will be no delay from song to song from that point on. Meaning the second time the sequence plays since it doesn't have to create an compressed .lcs files it will load and play quicker.

ww%20example.png

There is a way to create a Compressed file before you run Show player. Actually there are options to Compress An Entire Show, Compress a Single Show, or Compress a Single Sequence. In the gif below I just Compressed the example 2018 Wonderful World Sequence for this example. The only advantage I see is that it removes any delay from the Show Player having to create this file the first each song is played through Show Player. Since there is a fair amount of testing before you actually go live with a show, it may or may not be useful for you. The gif below shows how I create a .lcs file on my editing PC, before copying it to the Show PC.

ww%20example.gif

Also, once Sequencer creates playback files, the only files (in my example) needed to be copied into the PC show directory are the 2018 Wonderful World.play.lms.pe.lid, 2018 Wonderful World.play.lms and the 2018 Wonderful World.play.lms.lcs file (if you compressed the file in your sequencing PC) otherwise the 2018 Wonderful World.play.lms.lcs file will be created when it is run through Show Player. There is no need for any other files to be copied onto the Show PC directory. All of the other files information used in the .loredit file (Superstar, Motion Effect Gif Pictures, Movies, etc) will be included in the .lid file.

Hope this helps.

Alan...

Edited by default

Alan and Jim, thanks to both of you for the fine explanation. I've been running S4 shows for quite a while but just never paid any attention to the compression that was taking place behind the scenes. Alan, you mention that on the show PC, you only need the S5 compressed files as you show in your well-done video - but what about the media files - don't they need to be there too?

Thanks!

Bob

'nuther question - I assume (usually gets me in trouble) that if you make any change at all to a sequence in S5 Sequencer, that you then need to go back and re-create updated play files - right?

7 minutes ago, bbrescia said:

'nuther question - I assume (usually gets me in trouble) that if you make any change at all to a sequence in S5 Sequencer, that you then need to go back and re-create updated play files - right?

Yes.

12 hours ago, bbrescia said:

you mention that on the show PC, you only need the S5 compressed files as you show in your well-done video - but what about the media files - don't they need to be there too?

Bob,

your song.play.lms.pe.lid
your song.play.lms
are the only files that have to be transfered onto the show pc
your song.play.lms.lcs is optional (if you created it on your editing pc) or let show player create it during the first run.

As far as the media files, since the Audio file is a media file, it also has to be put in the \Documents\Light-O-Rama\Audio directory. Other than that no other files have to be transferred to the show pc. All the info about the visual media files (ie Gifs, jpg, avi's, etc) will be put into the your song.play.lms.pe.lid (intensity file) when you "Create Playback Files.

One thing I have found handy as I started with S5, is to put all my visual media files into a single directory with sub directories as needed.
Example: all my gifs, jpg, avi are stored in one directory title /LOR Media. This helps a couple of ways. Since the loredit file keeps track of where you loaded a media file from, it will expect to see it there from now on, unless you change it from the Sequence - File Reference option in S5. If you were to download a gif and place in on your desktop, then use it as a Picture - Motion Effect in S5 Sequencer and someone comes along and deletes or moves it, S5 will show you an error saying it can't find it. You will have to go searching for it again. Another useful thing about putting all your media files in one spot is for back ups. Instead of having picture and movie files scattered all across your hard drives and then finding them to back them up, it's much quicker to back a directory that contains all your media file used in LOR. Just a thought.

Alan...

Then I'll wait till the "final days" before creating the show because I always make last-minute changes, etc. Thanks for posting! Bob