Light-O-Rama Forums

What's the controller count limit of mini MP3 show director?

GriswoldStyle

So my show ran great with the (4) 16 channel controllers last year and using the EZ light linkers for the 4th controller on my neighbor's house.

This year I am adding 3 cmb24's and now adding a CCD with 100 bullet pixels for the 2 arches I just got. Just wondering what would be considered taking the mini MP3 show director to its limit. I tried searching but didn't see anything just wondering if somebody with experience or one of the Lor admin might be able to chime in on this. It's the one that came with the showtime starter package. Everything will have the Cat6 wires but none of it will be on the EZ Light linkers except for my neighbor's house. Which will be the last one in the series of connections using the cat 6 wires. On the very last controller I will bounce that off from everything on my house run that wire to the easy light Linker and then control my neighbor's house on the last controller.

Just wondering when and if the lag might start coming in to play I don't want to go too far with everything to the point where it affects the show.

Edited by GriswoldStyle

Not sure about the light linkers but due to computer issues I tested last Halloween with my mini director. 16 ctb16's, 1- pixie 16 ccr tree, 1 pixie 16 and pixie 8 - Matrix, another pixie 8- for spider webb - I believe that's it

I use the ctb16's for faces, floods, inflatables, outline lights, fogger

Only noticed some glitches that I do not think was due to lag, a lip/ mouth/ eyes on a couple faces would appear on occasion. Normally only when it was real noticeable, all other lights were off. LOL

You should be good, I do have an ELL but its still brand new prob never use it. LOL

JR

Off hand, the show director will not be the limiting factor.  The ELL MAY introduce a problem.  Remember that ALL network traffic will be transmitted by the ELL link, not just the traffic for the neighbor's 16 channels.  Your new configuration will be 436 channels which should be fine on a 115K network, but it is something to keep in mind when you add more channels down the road (and you will).  The ELL is limited to 115K network speed which many years ago, the rough rule of thumb was 900 channels - and you are well under that.  If your director is the G3 version, it will go to 500K - otherwise it is limited to 115K as well.  When you add more RGB and network speed becomes an issue, likely your best solution will be to either use a computer or the big brother director that can handle two networks.  Then run your non-G3 controllers and the ELL link at 115K on one network and your newer controllers on a 500K network.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, k6ccc said:

If your director is the G3 version, it will go to 500K 

Thanks for breaking that down into terms I could understand. Yes, it is a G3 version. I remember seeing something about G3 when I bought it in 2016. Will have to go back through my paperwork on it but I remember after the model number it had G3 next to it. Yeah I said last year I was good with 64 channels now I'm at 436? Good Lord..... this addiction *cough* I mean "hobby" is only just getting started lol.... I feel like Danny DeVito from Deck the Halls every year I look at my display when it's all said and done... "I gotta go bigger"

Edited by GriswoldStyle

51 minutes ago, GriswoldStyle said:

Yeah I said last year I was good with 64 channels now I'm at 436? Good Lord..... 

No offense but 436 is really nothing especially now that you have started using pixels. Consider a 16 strip pixel tree uses 2,400 channels and once you get that pixel bug 40,000 channels creeps up on you fast.

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

No offense but 436 is really nothing especially now that you have started using pixels. Consider a 16 strip pixel tree uses 2,400 channels and once you get that pixel bug 40,000 channels creeps up on you fast.

Lol I will be there one day.... baby steps .... baby steps haha

436... Hold my beer.... Lol ?

Edited by GriswoldStyle

4 hours ago, GriswoldStyle said:

Lol I will be there one day.... baby steps .... baby steps haha

436... Hold my beer.... Lol ?

WE all start with baby steps, but you'd be surprised how fast that baby grows up and all of a sudden those steps are so much bigger!!  Enjoy!

• Like 1

• The topic was locked