Light-O-Rama Forums

When Do You Start Decorating?

DisneyMatt10

Well, it's almost that time of year again!! Thought I'd throw out this topic to see how others do things!

We start putting things out Labor Day weekend to have everything out in time for the Halloween show. Then the day after Halloween we start the work to transition the show to Christmas! Our neighbors use to think we were crazy for starting decorations in September... But now they all know why... And they all start gathering around from Labor day to Halloween to see what new stuff is being added!! 

What about you all? When do you all start putting out your decorations for Halloween/Christmas??

I start Halloween on or around Oct 15 as Halloween show is smaller. Halloween comes down and Christmas starts going up on Nov 1.

• Like 1

The only stuff that I put up for Halloween (besides the year round lights in the yard) is the lights on the Eves.  That takes not much more than an hour or two.  I do that like Mr. P about mid October.  The first weekend after Halloween, Christmas starts going up in ernest.  My goal is to essentially be completed by the end of the weekend a week and a half before Thanksgiving.  That gives me a full 10 days of testing with everything up.

Opening night is the Friday after Thanksgiving.

We have an entire month long Halloween light show so we really start the middle of September so that we can be ready by October 1st. November 1st all of Halloween comes down and we get started on Christmas so we can be ready by Thanksgiving night. Last year all of Christmas was up in record timing of only 9 days. it really helps when you have everything on a planogram and you have two teenage helpers LOL

start mid september, first I start pulling out all the extension cords and untangle and repair if needed.  Also do all my testing of lights and props.  After, I start putting up.  takes me 6 weeks to put it all up and give me about 10 days to test and check sequencing and finish the last bit of any new songs. This year I have added a lot of props so I  think I will take a bit longer for setup but I'm always done by thanksgiving.  Lights on, on black friday!

I start working the 1st weekend in October for the Christmas show (I don't do anything for Halloween) and work weekends until Halloween.  After that I like to take a full week off to put out everything that goes in the yard and all of the wiring/controllers (I don't want the trick-or-treaters tripping over anything).  The goal is to have everything up and running the Sunday after Thanksgiving.  Not sure how I'm going to get it all done this year as I have to attend a conference the week I would normally take off.  

I usually do the outline of my house and windows and ridge caps around the middle of September. The rest I put up in the middle of October. I only do a Christmas show. After getting everything up I do plenty of testing to make sure all is okay.

I start about a week before Halloween setting up for Christmas. I don't do Halloween because in the country we don't get trick-or-treaters. Being disabled it takes me a long time to set up everything by Dec 1.

Tom

We just moved back home this year so for the last five most folks have saw nothing but weeds/mess.  October 1st we will start rolling out parts of our show so that by the 15th it is setup and running.  Doing two pixel trees this year, 1) our previous 16 strip (50 pixels) and our new 2) 16 strip (100 bullet pixels per strip) bullet pixel tree.  It will allow us to have different things going on with each tree.

I start the middle of October with everything except the yard props. Yard props go up November 1st. Goal is to have everything up and running by November 15th..

Christmas show starts the night after Thanksgiving and runs nightly until Jan 1st.

1 hour ago, Vince4xmas said:

I start the middle of October with everything except the yard props. Yard props go up November 1st. Goal is to have everything up and running by November 15th..

Christmas show starts the night after Thanksgiving and runs nightly until Jan 1st.

our Halloween and Christmas shows share a few items (P10 panels, Pixel trees, spots/floods) so we start early October.  We try to have the Halloween show start October 15th and then tear down the Halloween specific items Nov 1st.  We will run the mower one more time and then start setting up for Christmas.  We try to have it running by November 15th but will only run on weekends.  Full show starts Black Friday along with Santa appearances on weekend (my wife and I dress up as Mr and Mrs Santa).

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mr. P said:

I start Halloween on or around Oct 15 as Halloween show is smaller. Halloween comes down and Christmas starts going up on Nov 1.

Exactly what I do. Always ready to run the Christmas show by Thanksgiving.

9 minutes ago, Santas Helper said:

Exactly what I do. Always ready to run the Christmas show by Thanksgiving.

I remember when I started this whole thing about seven years ago. I started my Christmas setup the day after Thanksgiving as I always start the show on December 1st. As the show grew I moved setup to November 15th. and now it's so large starting two years ago I started on November 1st. Next year I am going to have to get some helpers even if I start on November 1st as this is getting too big for one person anymore.

• Like 1

I start testing all of my stuff around end of October / first of November and get the high stuff up and take a week and a half vacation before thanksgiving to get the rest of the things up, with the first show being thanksgiving night. Over the years the weather has played havic a few times with that plan

Edited by Wayne K

On 7/26/2018 at 5:52 PM, Mr. P said:

Same schedule.   

Thanksgiving day for the outside, with hopes to be done that Sunday.  Then we have a week to set up the inside in preparation for our big first-of-season Christmas party that we host every year.

Since I live outside the city limits, I don't do a Halloween display.  In years past, I would normally start setting up my Christmas display the day after Halloween, and have it ready to turn on by Thanksgiving night.  Well since I have acquired a huge addition to my display this year and will be almost growing my display 10 times the amount of lights as last year, I am planning to start the first weekend of October.  I also set this all up by myself and will be adding another house to my display this year.

1 hour ago, Light_addiction said:

Since I live outside the city limits, I don't do a Halloween display.  In years past, I would normally start setting up my Christmas display the day after Halloween, and have it ready to turn on by Thanksgiving night.  Well since I have acquired a huge addition to my display this year and will be almost growing my display 10 times the amount of lights as last year, I am planning to start the first weekend of October.  I also set this all up by myself and will be adding another house to my display this year.

hope all those lights i gave you help out!

1 hour ago, ericm said:

hope all those lights i gave you help out!

They definitely have been put to good use.  Still working on incorporating them all.  I also came upon a whole 200,000 light display that a guy was giving away, so I have all that too.

5 minutes ago, Light_addiction said:

They definitely have been put to good use.  Still working on incorporating them all.  I also came upon a whole 200,000 light display that a guy was giving away, so I have all that too.

holy hell! man Im jealous about that! wanting to cover my walls and roof in the next few years!

• Like 1