Light-O-Rama Forums

SHow Music

rooster423

I know we as creaters of displays change up very now and then. What are the songs that are a must for you show no matter what?

I don't know that I've ever pulled something out of my show (unless I really didn't like my sequencing), so I really don't have a 'must haves' song list.  I'm always trying to add new songs to provide more variety and so that it's not so repetitive.  Right now I've got A, B, and C days with each day split into an early show and a later show.  The last couple of years I've been focusing on adding more non-Christmas music as I typically run my show until sometime mid Jan (and I don't like to play Christmas music after Christmas).  

I'm up to 45 songs sequenced over the nine years I have been doing this thing. Most get at least slightly updated every year, with, hopefully a couple of new additions. They all get put into my MIIP playlist and my guests get to choose which songs to play from their smartphone. Check out MIIP from Bob O, its completely free.

http://itsmebob.com/SD.html

Edited by PhilMassey

In order to include more music in my show, I typically edit the music to shorten the songs down to a more manageable length - typically drop out a verse and a chorus or something like that - or if there is a long musical interlude I'll edit that out...stuff like that. That way I can have way more different music to suit all tastes. I have a few favorites that will probably always be in my show but can't say there is any one or two song(s) that couldn't be replaced. I guess Silent Night is one I'll always have in the show - always like that song but the version may change. I'm very fond of I Believe by Katherine Jenkins and Andrea Bocelli in the past couple of years - really like it though it's not specific to Christmas. Of course, there is the always popular stuff from the Nutcracker which I tend to include every year. 

So many artists come out with new music each year - it's hard to say nothing will change!!!!!!

I will use a few repeatedly but take away others. I get a lot of community requests to repeat certain sequences the following year.

Since the shows are geared to the community and promoting peaceful relationships I will do as they asked.

Since I have video security cameras if cars tend to leave during a particular sequence that will be the top of the list.

As James and I produce the sequences we sequence every genre and i use something of every genre for every show.

Like Janes I also have 30+ sequences ea h day for the week. Each night will show the favs with new sequences added.

Since I am in a rural subdivision most of the audience will stay for the duration and some for more than one duration.

JR

I'm just the opposite of Vince.  I hate sequencing.  As a result, I add a song or two every year and all get revised because of added or revised props.  I am using MIIP so people can pick the ones they want.  There were 13 songs in 2017.  Because I am making major changes to the hardware, all songs are getting fairly major re-writes.  I don't expect to add any new songs this year as a result.

I usually have about an hour's worth of programming that repeats several times each night.  I've only done programming two years - in my second year I tweaked half the first year's songs and the other half were new.  This year I'll tweak half the old songs (because I'm adding more elements) and will attempt to add 5-6 new songs.  I'm currently listening to Christmas music in the hopes of finding those 5-6 new songs. 

Edited by Jaynee

Jaynee... Have you heard Bradley Gillis: Santa Claus is Rockin' - one of my recent new songs. I think it's fun.

• Thanks 1

Jaynee... also forgot to mention... Jin Jing-A-Ling by the Andrews Sisters - another one that is new to me.

• Thanks 1

I reuse most of my sequences every year. I dont have time to sequence new stuff every year. I will change out certain songs but as for a must have every year....

Christmas Vacation

Christmas eve in Sarajevo

Rudolph

Frosty

Let it go

Night before christmas

I just realized I never answered the original question!  My must haves are:

• Do You Hear What I Hear by Spiraling
  • the "Take it Russ" sequence from the movie Christmas Vacation