Light-O-Rama Forums

Led chord into incandescent

sibbs

We’ve got some older rope lights that don’t have power chords,  has this kind of end in the picture.   I’ve got extra led power chords but I’m not sure if the rope light is led or incandescent, is there a way to tell?  The led chords I have will push on the pronged end but there’s basically two female threaded ends.  What will happen to the lights  if I apply power to this?   If they’re led I’d expect it to work, but what if they’re incandescent? Would it ruin them?

356AC589-1B62-4B89-B6F9-F4D5F390D634.jpeg

Most light strings have some type a fuse in the plug so if it is not the same you could blow the fuse, blow the lights or worse melt the string or start a fire.

5 hours ago, sibbs said:

We’ve got some older rope lights that don’t have power chords,  has this kind of end in the picture.   I’ve got extra led power chords but I’m not sure if the rope light is led or incandescent, is there a way to tell?  The led chords I have will push on the pronged end but there’s basically two female threaded ends.  What will happen to the lights  if I apply power to this?   If they’re led I’d expect it to work, but what if they’re incandescent? Would it ruin them?

356AC589-1B62-4B89-B6F9-F4D5F390D634.jpeg

Ohmmeter.  Diode check position preferred. Measure between pins: note value. Now reverse leads.  Incan will be the same (and full wave, but you should be able to spot the rectifier bulge). LED will be lots different