Light-O-Rama Forums

Singing Faces How to. What do i need?

Dkazm201

Hi all, Last year was the first time I Wired up my LOR setup I also  just bought my house in September so it was my first Christmas in the new house. I set the Bar high.  So i want to keep adding on every year. I Figured I would get a head start this year and start learning. I would love to do some Singing Trees or Light Bulbs this year, Making the physical Cutouts is no problem for me. My biggest question is about how to wire them. Do i just do another LOR 16 Channel plugs or DMX? I'm currently using a 16 Channel Setup on my house using LED light bulbs. I am a real noob with the additional Controllers and lights if someone can recommend what lights to use and why it would help me greatly. 

Thanks in advance Daniel

Here is a video showing how to build RGB singing trees. You can slao build them with regular led lights and the CTB16PC contoller.

• Like 1

Just depend on what you are looking for, what bulbs you want to use , controllers and how many channels you want to eat up.

Its much easier to just buy them especially when just starting out. 

I have 30+ singers and will be adding more. 1/2 are my own design but I do keep in the tradition of 8 channels per tree.

1- 16 channel CTB16 will control 2.

If you go out on your own with designing your own and do not want 5 mouth movements (more or less) you will to also learn how to sequence them.

I share about 95% of my face sequences.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Marty Slack has a great how to on building coro projects at www.christmasutah.com 

I believe in simplicity in my singers.  Just two mouth positions open and closed.  The audience all gets it and programming is much simpler.   I'm adding light bulb backup singers.  Just plain ol' incans.  I use a variety of sets. 100's (often split into 50's, 35 sets, and 20 sets (from candy canes).  With a little planning, things can come out pretty even with few bulbs left over.

Edited by Brian Mitchell
added link

I saw Brian's tree "Brandon" many years back and used the idea to create "Douglas Fir".  I also started with the simple open / closed mouth concept, but then added an "O" configuration to the mouth a couple years later and that adds to the visual without adding too much to programming.  I used rope light in the construction, and could be cut at 18 inch spacing which worked out great for everything.

HPIM2703a.jpg

Thank you All very much! This is a Great help. I'm gonna start ordering stuff lol my wife's gonna kill me.

Another Question What the most cost effective way  to do this? Id like to start with 2 Singing faces.

CTB16 controller will cost me $260 + the cost of lights. 

Vs.

RGB Controller x2= 120 + Power Supply 23= $143 + the cost of the lights + a waterproof container.

Am i missing anything? Do i need a power supply for each RGB controller if so id add 23$ on. 

Also will will the RBX controller plug and play into my CTB16 for control or do i need an additional Controller?

Sorry with the questions, im trying to get the best bang for my buck.

Thanks again Daniel

Just now, Dkazm201 said:

Well im a Noob to them but i was looking at this one: http://www.holidaycoro.com/30-Channel-DMX-Controller-for-RGB-Lights-12v-DC-p/43.htm

That controller is not plug-n-play with LOR, you would need to add a dongle which is another $45. If you want true plg-n-play in a LOR network then you want the LOR CMB24D which I highly recommend

Dkazm.  If your looking at getting a couple of singing trees. There's a couple thing to look at other then the price of controllers most singing tree sequences that you buy or get for free on the forum. Are setup for the lor 16 channel controllers with incandescent lights so you get a sequence a little channel setup your ready to go. Now if you go pixels dumb or smart you have to convert all those free or $15.00 sequences to rgb channels not hard but takes some time I have the Holday Coro trees and 2 lor 16 channel ac controllers in my opion it's the best way to do signing trees maybe not the cheapest way but again most sequences are made for them and like Dibblejr said he willing to share and his are top notch .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dennis Laff said:

Dkazm.  If your looking at getting a couple of singing trees. There's a couple thing to look at other then the price of controllers most singing tree sequences that you buy or get for free on the forum. Are setup for the lor 16 channel controllers with incandescent lights so you get a sequence a little channel setup your ready to go. Now if you go pixels dumb or smart you have to convert all those free or $15.00 sequences to rgb channels not hard but takes some time I have the Holday Coro trees and 2 lor 16 channel ac controllers in my opion it's the best way to do signing trees maybe not the cheapest way but again most sequences are made for them and like Dibblejr said he willing to share and his are top notch .

Dumb RGB would be programmed the same way, eight RGB channels per face. The only difference is you get to set the color and changing from the 16 channel controller sequences to RGB sequence is very easy.

1 hour ago, Dkazm201 said:

Another Question What the most cost effective way  to do this? Id like to start with 2 Singing faces.

CTB16 controller will cost me $260 + the cost of lights. 

Vs.

RGB Controller x2= 120 + Power Supply 23= $143 + the cost of the lights + a waterproof container.

Am i missing anything? Do i need a power supply for each RGB controller if so id add 23$ on. 

Also will will the RBX controller plug and play into my CTB16 for control or do i need an additional Controller?

Sorry with the questions, im trying to get the best bang for my buck.

Thanks again Daniel

CTB16

Ince again comparing led/ incans with RGB pixels and pixel controllers is appleas to oranges.

Much easier to start with regular string lights and the ctb16 

If you purchase a pixie16 fully assembled it is worth the cost since all parts, your labor and time may be better spent learning the software.

Thats just me, I have sequenced RGB faces but much easier to sequence normal  lights.

JR

Well im a Noob to them but i was looking at this one: http://www.holidaycoro.com/30-Channel-DMX-Controller-for-RGB-Lights-12v-DC-p/43.htm

That controller is not plug-n-play with LOR, you would need to add a dongle which is another $45. If you want true plg-n-play in a LOR network then you want the LOR CMB24D which I highly recommend

How many would I need to do two singing heads? and is anything else needed with that one? Ex power supply ect? or is it all included in the 109?

Edited by Dkazm201

Something else.

CMB24 = dumb nodes

Pixie series = smart pixels , there’s another one from LOR but slips my mind

CTB16 - non rgb/ pixel stuff

How many depends on which direction you go. As I mentioned earlier today.

Normal faces - 8 channels. Some members will not use an outline so that would mean 7 channels. I preferoutline on all of mine.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

35 minutes ago, Dkazm201 said:

How many would I need to do two singing heads? and is anything else needed with that one? Ex power supply ect? or is it all included in the 109?

Each CMB24D can do one face of eight channels. So you would need two of everything, CMB24D, power supply and enclosure.

Also, please update your profile so we can see the software version and license level.

Mr.P I have the Light o Rama Hardware v4.3.24 Pro

I'm Registered with Pro Edition with Super Star. 

57 minutes ago, Dkazm201 said:

Mr.P I have the Light o Rama Hardware v4.3.24 Pro

I'm Registered with Pro Edition with Super Star. 

Pro is good.

Super Star is an "add on". With the pro license level you get a demo version. 

Scroll down to SS to see what you may need. If you decide to use SS. I use SS over PE and also use SE to sequence some RGB stuff.

http://www1.lightorama.com/sequencing-suite-levels/

JR

3 hours ago, Dennis Laff said:

Thanks for the plug.

JR

Next year if I'm able to pick up 2 more controllers I plan on making a couple singing faces to put on my garage.  And now that I accidentally purchased 204 strings of lights (instead of the 32 I thought I was buying), I have plenty of lights to make them!