Light-O-Rama Forums

Drone Recording (Audio)

dibblejr

Last year at Christmas a friend stopped by and used his DJI P3 Pro to record my Christmas show. It was very cold here for Alabama at -5 wind chill and he thinks that all of the light controllers and stuff caused some minor frequency interference with controllability but at least he never crashed. It did stop flying when he changed the last battery he couldn't get the quad up to temp to fly. Lights stayed red and never went to green so that ended recording.

I have not synced the music to the videos yet because of some of the glitches during filming the sequences got out of order. Along with being busy with life events.

I got a Phantom 4 Pro for Christmas and still have not opened it and hope to film for myself this year.

My question is.

Is there an easier way to record the show with the DJI P4 Pro to incorporate the music as well? Software or an FM transmitter built for this (I am thinking not since it may interfere with the drone radio frequency).

Last year while my friend recorded we just sit in his car playing the music on the radio but no sound.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

JR

Exceedingly unlikely that either the light or an FM transmitter would interfere with the drone.  The frequencies involved make it unlikely.  More likely the cold - you can keep your -5...

24 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Exceedingly unlikely that either the light or an FM transmitter would interfere with the drone.  The frequencies involved make it unlikely.  More likely the cold - you can keep your -5...

It was very rare for us to get that temp as well as the 8" of snow we had mid December that wiped out my mega tree hook head. Normally in Dec we are well above freezing. We get occasional ice storms normally in Feb/ MArch.

I only know what he stated since he is a very avid pilot. The drone worked great for the first 2 segments. Due to battery life he had asked me to break the sequences into between 25-28 min segments. The only constant issue was what he said was electromagnetic interference. Since we are very rural 3-8 acres per home the only thing he could think of causing the issue was the lights, controllers and cables. 

He had never video recorded light shows in the past and never had such interference. It also records fine without all of the lights (since tear down).

JR

1 hour ago, dibblejr said:

Is there an easier way to record the show with the DJI P4 Pro to incorporate the music as well?

I have a DJI P3 and as far as I know none of them will record sound. You just have to add the music later. These drones don't do well in cold weather. I have to keep the batteries warm in the car while recording or mine won't fly well. My drone has no issues with my any electrical interference. I used mine last year in 18 degree weather but I had to swap batteries and warm up the drone every 10 minutes. I noticed problems trying to run the full 25 minutes in that cold.

Tom

The drone radio should be operating in the UHF range or even higher. FM radio is all VHF and will not interfere at all with the signals.

edit: after doing a quick google search they operate even higher than UHF. 2.4 - 5.0 GHz range. 

Edited by bryan.hurley5

My buddies drone records the audio from his phone while flying so you can actually hear what’s going on. 

On 7/8/2018 at 7:26 AM, TBS99 said:

I have a DJI P3 and as far as I know none of them will record sound. You just have to add the music later. These drones don't do well in cold weather. I have to keep the batteries warm in the car while recording or mine won't fly well. My drone has no issues with my any electrical interference. I used mine last year in 18 degree weather but I had to swap batteries and warm up the drone every 10 minutes. I noticed problems trying to run the full 25 minutes in that cold.

Tom

Tom's comments are right on point. Your friends drone problems most likely had to do with the cold weather.

Here's DJI's tip for cold weather flying. There is a lot more info on DJI's website. https://www.dji.com/

Alan...

dji.png

• Like 2

@dibblejr As far as I know, you record the video using the drone, then use video editing software, to add the audio track (using the original mp3).

I believe some people put some sort of timing mark in their light sequence so they can align the video and audio tracks more easily (don't ask me how).

• The topic was locked