Light-O-Rama Forums

Text mask and groups

k6ccc

Brian, I've been chasing my tail for a bit about why some scenes were not showing.  Finally determined that it was related to a text mask.  I generally know how text masks work, but this involved elements on the main 40 layers and stuff that was in groups.  And I could not make any rhyme or reason to it.  Let me explain in some detail.

For starters, this is your "God Bless the USA" with of course my few thousand other channels added.  There is a text mask on layer 31.  The scenes that appear when the text mask lets them through are on layers 32 - 35 and works correctly.  There is a bunch of stuff going on on layers 1 - 30 that ignore the text mask.  I have a group called "Pixel Star and roofline" on layer 39.  Within that group, my pixel star is on layers 2 - 7, and at least for this section of the song, six segments of my pixel roofline are on layers 22 - 27.  Lastly I have a group on layer 40 called "Semi-Static" which has various stuff on layers scattered from 21 - 40.  Everything in the Semi-Static group stays on properly regardless of the text mask.  The problem is with the Pixel Star - on layers 2 - 7 of the group "Pixel Star and roofline".  The Pixel Star is being masked out by the text mask.  But that's the only thing affected. The roofline pixels in that same group are not affected, nor are all elements in the "Semi-Static" group.

So my question is how does a text mask affect elements that are in a group?

In SuperStar effects being in a group should not be treated any differently than effect not in a group.

The way it is designed to work is that a text mask applies to any effects that are in the matrix in the visualization. The matrix is defined as the first group of RGB rows and they will be at the bottom of the sequencing grid. Any effects that do not fall in the matrix should not be affected by the text mask.

Is it behaving differently than that?

5 hours ago, BrianBruderer said:

Is it behaving differently than that? 

Yes.

In this case, the sequencing grid is horizontal so the pixel tree is the bottom 24 rows with 100 pixels in each row.  The star is above the tree with one blank line in between.  Obviously, I am specifying locations for every Prop and Fixture in visualizer.  I have taken this screen capture during a pause operation.  The ARMY is obviously the text mask and is working correctly.  At the moment of the capture, the outer two rings of the star should be green.  They are pulsing at the same time as the outer portions of the roof line.  The star and roofline are in a group, but are separate scenes. 

The Roses, Eves, Arches, Roof line, and Perimeter string are all working correctly

SuperStar_grid_2018_error.png

The screen capture is from v0.1807.1.  This part is being done entirely in SuperStar - Not as an "Insert SuperStar Effects" from the S5 Sequencer.

The effect that is supposed to be making the star green, does any part of it fall on the 24x100 matrix?

Please attach your visualization and sequence to your next reply. You may have to zip them up

On 7/7/2018 at 1:59 PM, BrianBruderer said:

Please attach your visualization and sequence to your next reply. You may have to zip them up

E-Mail sent.

Brian found the issue and sent me a fixed version that works perfectly.

Thanks Brian!