Light-O-Rama Forums

Papa Assist (Utility for Papagoya)

ndutton

Hi all,

I'm trying to find a utility that people have used with Papagoya. The utility is called Papa Assist and it is designed to help better line up the phonetics with the movements a little more automatically that is done with Papagoya.

Does anyone have it?

Nick

13 hours ago, ndutton said:

Hi all,

I'm trying to find a utility that people have used with Papagoya. The utility is called Papa Assist and it is designed to help better line up the phonetics with the movements a little more automatically that is done with Papagoya.

Does anyone have it?

Nick

Tried a wide assortment of search engines, went to home site, read the wiki, couldn't find any mention of this utility anywhere.  if it does exist, and I'm beginning to believe it doesn't, it's very, very difficult to find. 

So if folks are using it, I'd sure like to know where they found it, because if it really exists, it is extremely well hidden!

Edited by Orville

Papaassist does not work as the video on YouTube suggests.

Do not waste your time.

Much easier to learn to make singing face sequences without any software at all.

When I started I saw that YouTube, downloaded the software, wasted hours lining up the song as instructed in audacity. Transferred to papagayo and nothing worked. Worked the same as just copy pasting lyrics in papagayo.

After a few weeks of trying I contacted the guy in the video via his info on YouTube. He never replied.

Anyone attending the Expo interested I will be giving two blocks of instruction on the 19th.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

One more tip.

You only need a good set of equalized headphones to produce the sequences.

You can use cheap headset however adjustable tone headsets allow you to hear  some of the lyrics that are barely recognizable.

I have short video tutorials on my cell that I made to help some other members here. Just shoot me a cell and I will text some over.

It is best to start with papagayo to understand the basic concept. You have to get constructive sometimes.

JR

9 hours ago, Orville said:

Tried a wide assortment of search engines, went to home site, read the wiki, couldn't find any mention of this utility anywhere.  if it does exist, and I'm beginning to believe it doesn't, it's very, very difficult to find. 

So if folks are using it, I'd sure like to know where they found it, because if it really exists, it is extremely well hidden!

It used to be hosted in the xLights forums but when xLights integrated the capability directly into their tool they removed the ability to download it as a standalone product.

8 hours ago, dibblejr said:

One more tip.

You can use cheap headset however adjustable tone headsets allow you to hear  some of the lyrics that are barely recognizable.

I have short video tutorials on my cell that I made to help some other members here. Just shoot me a cell and I will text some over.

It is best to start with papagayo to understand the basic concept. You have to get constructive sometimes.

JR

I dont really want to post my cell number in to a forum but if those videos are on youtube I'd love to grab that link?

12 minutes ago, ndutton said:

I dont really want to post my cell number in to a forum but if those videos are on youtube I'd love to grab that link?

Private Mesaage- not in a theeadthread

15 minutes ago, ndutton said:

It used to be hosted in the xLights forums but when xLights integrated the capability directly into their tool they removed the ability to download it as a standalone product.

Trust me you do not want it- it’s garbage!!! Does not work at all!!!!

Its on the web! But since it’s worthless I won’t post it.

Even my friend ItsmeBob never used it. I asked him when I couldn’t get it to work.

Lost Marble and the Papagayo developer never heard of it either. They have another site called Animators Forums great guys.

like I suggested- start with papagayo for basics and then produce them manually. 

JR

OK I will check out the site, and I also believe you in your impression of the tool. I'd still like to come to that conclusion for myself however if you know where it is available I still encourage you to post it?

While I never used it,  my memory of its function was to space the phrases.    Papagayo simply spreads out the provided words to use up ~90% of the available space.   This can make it a chore to set the initial placement of each phrase.  

Sometime you just want some free space at the beginning so you dont have to keep shifting each phrase to the right.     This can be accomplished without an external tool with some trickery.  

Just add a bunch  of the letter A in your breakdown on the top line.   Papagayo will spread out all the words when you click breakdown.    Then you can edit your .pgo file to remove the letter A's.     This will result in a nice amount of space at the begin of your song.   The .pgo has an orderly but cryptic format but it will work.   If you are interested in this trick I can make a little video about it.      But to be clear, Papagayo days have come and gone.   Other methods have taken its place. 

17 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

While I never used it,  my memory of its function was to space the phrases.    Papagayo simply spreads out the provided words to use up ~90% of the available space.   This can make it a chore to set the initial placement of each phrase.  

Sometime you just want some free space at the beginning so you dont have to keep shifting each phrase to the right.     This can be accomplished without an external tool with some trickery.  

Just add a bunch  of the letter A in your breakdown on the top line.   Papagayo will spread out all the words when you click breakdown.    Then you can edit your .pgo file to remove the letter A's.     This will result in a nice amount of space at the begin of your song.   The .pgo has an orderly but cryptic format but it will work.   If you are interested in this trick I can make a little video about it.      But to be clear, Papagayo days have come and gone.   Other methods have taken its place. 

Bob.

The way that papassist was advertised was that the user had to transfer the lyrics in Audacity. You had to create line by line building the structure there. Would take hours upon hours to accomplish that.

Once complete you saved it and then opened up papagayo. The youtube video showed it easily aligning everything within papagayo with minimal changes to the alignment.

I followed the tutorial for weeks thinking it was a problem I was having with various computer OS's. Nothing worked. I continually sent the developer messages through youtube asking for his assistance and received no reply. I even offered to pay him for his time.

While importing to papagayo seemed easy enough the words were no different than copy and pasting the lyrics the normal papagayo way. 

I received my much needed assistance from you and never looked at papassist again. As you know I moved on to manually sequencing the faces. Had it not been for you and your conversion to LOR tool all would have been for not.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Seems like the time already spent talking about and looking for it has exceeded the time saved by using it. 

• Like 1

It sounded like a good idea, but as we all know, sometimes good ideas turn out to be complete rubbish, slated for the recycle/trash bin.

Glad I never found it.

I think I can accomplish this much better manually by listening and entering the info into a sequence manually, no singing faces here as yet, but I use a similar method for animating a basic blowmold light bulb{s} to emulate the character{s} that is/{are} singing the song. 

And I think with a little work, I could break that single line down into 2 or more channels to animate a mouth on a singing face style character with minimal work.   At least that's MY intent when I finally buy or make any singing face characters.  If I ever do.

BTW: if that program exists on YouTube, it must be well hidden.  I searched with everything I could think of and there is NO Papa Assist video anywhere on YouTube that relates to Papagayo there.  Seen other Papa Assist labeled videos, but none had anything to do with this subject matter. 

I really don't think it's there, and if it is, what's the harm in "sharing the link", after all, others should be allowed to form their own decision whether it's right for them or not.  I can see no reason in keeping it a secret, that is, if it really does exist.  

I'm curious myself, just would've like to see it {supposedly in action in such a tutorial on how to use it}.   But it just doesn't seem to be anywhere, and I've searched for hours and hours trying to locate it, just out of curiosity, nothing else.

Edited by Orville
Added the BTW: statement on this subject matter of Papa Assist for Papagayo

May I add another note.

Papagayo is a useful tool for learning the basics. Is good enough to get by for the average user and a single singer or a single singer with backup singers singing the same chorus and or lyrics as the lead singer.

However for the songs that have multiple singers, singing separate lyrics and or over lapping lyrics and background vocals you have to work on those separately, thus adding additional time to sequencing and importing into LOR using Bobs Papagayo to LOR tool. For some of the songs I have produced the faces for I would have had to open 16-32 different papagayo work sheets.

Producing sequences manually allows me to work on the different aspects of the song simultaneously.

Those of you attending the Expo and wanting to see how I do it are welcome to attend my classes on the 19th. I am also willing to provide you with some extra guidance. 

If you want extra guidance please bring a pair of headphones and your laptop with you.

JR

On 7/6/2018 at 9:07 AM, dibblejr said:

One more tip.

JR

I would definitely love to watch the videos! I started using papa this year and would love to get away from it if possible! Your videos are always amazing so maybe some of that will rub off on me lol 

Edited by lele79

• The topic was locked