Light-O-Rama Forums

Adding pixel arches to existing LOR

kbolin10

I have a question I just can’t seem to get a simple answer to.

i currently have a 16 channel LOR starter package. I want to add 2 arches that will be 8 channels each. Do I need another LOR controller AND the pixel controller or just the pixel controller?

thank you,

Kevin

Eight channel arches are usually made with typical store bought led lights and a CTB16 type controller. If you are using pixels then you would use one strip or one string of pixels depending on the lights you want to use and a pixel controller, totally different type of setup.

Edited by Mr. P

Sorry I guess I should give more detail. I will be using 1 strip of smart pixel lights per arch for a total of 16 smart pixel channels needed. Do I need the smart pixel controller and another regular LOR controller or just the pixel controller?

Still not quite following you here. If you are running two arches with one strip per arch then that will be 150 channels for each arch as each pixel (50 per strip) is three channels (R,G,B). You would need a Pixel controller to run the pixels at least one port per strip. If you purchase the Pixie 2, 4, 8, 16 or a Pixcon16 they can be added to your current LOR starter package. Make sure you have the license level to support the additions. Please fill in your profile.

Mr. P. is correct.  Pixels vs L.E.D. 120VAC Strands are 2 different things and each uses different controllers.

Most RGB [smart pixels] are RGB, 50 nodes per strand and 150 channels, dumb strands that all stay the same color, I think you might get away with one channel on [dumb pixels] nodes, but not entirely certain of that.  Also RGB can be either 5VDC or 12VDC depending on the number of nodes controlled.  5V is good for no more than 2 ports at 50 RGB nodes per strand, a total of 100 RGB nodes on 5VDC using 2 ports. 

Where 12VDC will allow longer strands, just another 50 nodes per strand, 100 total nodes per port, 200 RGB nodes in total.  So depends on the controller you get if it is 5VDC or 12VDC output, some controllers may be able to be set for either, but not certain about that.  If you can find a dual voltage DC controller that can output either 5VDC or 12VDC, then you can use either length of RGB node strand, depending on what output voltage you're using. 

Again 5VDC, maximum is 100 RGB nods, 2 ports, 50 RGB Nodes per Strand, 12VDC, usual maximum is 200 RGB nodes, 2 ports, 100 RGB nodes per strand.  Although on 12VDC I have heard of longer runs, but power injection may be required for that.

L.E.D. strands like you buy at Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Target, etc. are 120VAC, plug into a standard outlet, therefore would require the CTB16PC 16 channel ~AC~ Controller that has dangles that output 120VAC to each channel.

And as Mr. P. stated, fill in your profile with the LOR Software Version and License Level you use, as License level also denotes the maximum number of controllers you can use, as well as tell us if you have access to other features in the LOR Software.   That way, we all see at a glance under your name what version and license you have and can help you better with issues or other questions you may have as you progress in this hobby.

Edited by Orville

Ok profile filled out. I hope that helps.

The below link shows the lights I was thinking about getting. I would cut the strip in half and make 2 arches.

I have 1 controller currently. What else would I need?

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-DC12V-60leds-m-20pcs-ws2811-ic-meter-20pixels-led-digital-strip-IP68-waterproof-in-silicon/701799_1921783413.html

20 minutes ago, kbolin10 said:

Ok profile filled out. I hope that helps.

The below link shows the lights I was thinking about getting. I would cut the strip in half and make 2 arches.

I have 1 controller currently. What else would I need?

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-DC12V-60leds-m-20pcs-ws2811-ic-meter-20pixels-led-digital-strip-IP68-waterproof-in-silicon/701799_1921783413.html

For the RGB lights in the link - You will need a smart pixel controller. The easiest that LOR has to offer would be the pixie series. Of course everything else to construct the arch along with the pigtails to plug in to the controllers.

An LOR pixie 4, 8, 16 would allow you to control 1 arch per perspective unit ID pixie4 (4), pixie 8 (8), pixie 16 (16). The pixie16's can now be purchased assembled and as I mentioned probably the easiest LOR pixel controller to learn.

Your starter package controller will not control pixels, only the old incandescent or led bulbs.

For the method of 8 channels per arch you mentioned above- your CTB16 will control a total of 2 arches. Apples to Oranges between the 2 different styles.

You will also need to increase your license level. Pro is worth it since you will join the addicted club as soon as you hear the oohs and ahs of your audience as your lights flash to music.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Also keep in mind since you are getting into pixels, you may want to think about upgrading your license. A Standard license allows up to eight unit ID's, and you are currently using one on your current controller so that leaves seven left. A Pixie4 uses four, a Pixie8 uses eight and a Pixie16 uses 16 so you can see how you will run out of unit ID's very quickly. An Advanced or Pro license allows unlimited ID's.

Not only dos the PRO License allow unlimited controllers, it also gives you access to the Pixel Editor software, it's not available in any other license other than PRO.  But make sure your video card can use OpenGL 1.5 or higher as the Pixel Editor requires it.  

Sadly I haven't been able to use it because my systems graphics card can't seem to get that version of OpenGL for it.    

But if you have a newer system, you should be good to go.  Me, I've got to get a new graphics card to replace my ancient one that's no longer supported so i can use the Pixel Editor{PE}. 

The PE is one of the main reasons I went with the PRO version when I upgraded, only to find out I can't use it just yet, all because of my video hardware is outdated.  Ugh!

44 minutes ago, Orville said:

The PE is one of the main reasons I went with the PRO version when I upgraded, only to find out I can't use it just yet, all because of my video hardware is outdated.  Ugh!

Orville, I finally got my new computer setup last night, so should be able to get my old video card (that does work with PE) out to you in the next couple days.

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

Orville, I finally got my new computer setup last night, so should be able to get my old video card (that does work with PE) out to you in the next couple days.

Thanks Jim.  Will be looking forward to that.:D

Will be great when I can finally use the PE program!   Been wanting to play with that software since I upgraded to PRO.

On 7/10/2018 at 8:17 AM, dibblejr said:

For the RGB lights in the link - You will need a smart pixel controller. The easiest that LOR has to offer would be the pixie series. Of course everything else to construct the arch along with the pigtails to plug in to the controllers.

An LOR pixie 4, 8, 16 would allow you to control 1 arch per perspective unit ID pixie4 (4), pixie 8 (8), pixie 16 (16). The pixie16's can now be purchased assembled and as I mentioned probably the easiest LOR pixel controller to learn.

Your starter package controller will not control pixels, only the old incandescent or led bulbs.

For the method of 8 channels per arch you mentioned above- your CTB16 will control a total of 2 arches. Apples to Oranges between the 2 different styles.

You will also need to increase your license level. Pro is worth it since you will join the addicted club as soon as you hear the oohs and ahs of your audience as your lights flash to music.

JR

So then what I'm hearing is I need a pixel controller (probably will go with the Pixie 16) AND another main controller. Is that right?

I will also upgrade to the PRO version of the software.

7 minutes ago, kbolin10 said:

So then what I'm hearing is I need a pixel controller (probably will go with the Pixie 16) AND another main controller. Is that right?

I will also upgrade to the PRO version of the software.

Yes, if you are going with smart pixels (I have a source, best price and free shipping) here in states.

What will you be controlling with the CTB16?

When you order the pixie 16 your best bet is to order the pigtails from LOR as well. I can’t remember the lengths they sell but get longest available.

The CTB already assembled will have LOR pigtails all you will need to do is Soldier them. You can use pre soldered low heat butt connectors.

When you receive your pixie16 shoot me a pm and you can call me and I will help you set it up. - trust me best option. LOL

JR

1 minute ago, dibblejr said:

Yes, if you are going with smart pixels (I have a source, best price and free shipping) here in states.

What will you be controlling with the CTB16?

When you order the pixie 16 your best bet is to order the pigtails from LOR as well. I can’t remember the lengths they sell but get longest available.

The CTB already assembled will have LOR pigtails all you will need to do is Soldier them. You can use pre soldered low heat butt connectors.

When you receive your pixie16 shoot me a pm and you can call me and I will help you set it up. - trust me best option. LOL

JR

All I am add are the 2 arches with smart RGB strips

5 minutes ago, kbolin10 said:

All I am add are the 2 arches with smart RGB strips

So you are not going to use your CTB16 for anything?

JR

1 minute ago, dibblejr said:

So you are not going to use your CTB16 for anything?

JR

At this point I only want to add the arches. So the CTB16 isn't necessary?

1 hour ago, kbolin10 said:

At this point I only want to add the arches. So the CTB16 isn't necessary?

Nope

I'd suggest you go for strip with 30 LEDs per metre, rather than the 60 as per original link.

In fact you could buy two rolls of these LOR strips cut each in half (for 4 x 2.5m strips of 75 LEDS) and 1 Pixie4 (plus power supply, enclosure and cabling)  and make 4 arches.

Or, if you want to buy a ready-to-run controller with room for expansion then maybe the Pixcon16? 

Of course like anything in this hobby there's a heap of other products and methods of controlling lights and building props.

Actually to be quite honest I wouldn't recommend the Pixie16 for arches. The Pixie16 is great if you have a bunch of things in close proximty such as a pixel tree or matrix. Smart pixels are very limited in the distance they can be from a controller and a bunch of smaller controllers over a wide area is much better then a large controller confined to a smaller space.

I will be running 18 pixel controllers this year and only two are large 16 port controllers, one for my tree and one for my matrix. The rest are smaller four port controllers scattered all over the yard.

Edited by Mr. P

I too agree with using Pixie controllers and added one 4 port for this years show. The only pixel controller available a few years ago from LOR

was the Pixcon16. I have one of those and had to power inject many places as some of my props were quite a distance from the Pixon16.

Today, I would use the Pixies.