Light-O-Rama Forums
ndutton

Partial Prop Support

On my show PC I have all the hardware connected, knowing that hardware isnt there is great in debug.

However..... It Ould be really useful to remove one interface (say a dmx device such as a falcon device) and use a standard preview to test lights on that device on a separate computer using the normal preview.

by example. my show computer has a few LOR interfaces, a few DMX interfaces and so forth. When I am developing a DMX prop then I might take that prop and that one interface to a separate machine (my laptop) and play with things as I watch a film.

The problem is that I can't do that with a standard profile because that LOR adapter is missing. Generally this is only a problem where LOR is concerned as it checks for those interfaces.

I'd really like to be able to use a standard preview without those adapters being connected and to control real lights.

• Thanks 1

This is on our "to do" list, but may not be in the first production release. Thanks for the feedback!

Matt

Just now, MattBrown said:

This is on our "to do" list, but may not be in the first production release. Thanks for the feedback!

Matt

As long as it is "on the list" :)

*Edit* I see you got an answer while I was making my movie and adding this post. Is this something that will help?

If I understand your question correctly, you are wanting to test only 1 or 2 props at a time with another pc (laptop)?
If so, this is how I do it. See the video below.

It is important to note, that *if* you are testing in Sequencer an already made sequence (done with Sequencer) and have moved it to another PC for testing, any pictures that were used in Effect Generator must also be transfered to the testing pc. Likewise any Superstar effects that were add to the original sequence (.avi) must also be copied to the pc used for testing. Since the name of the testing PC is different from the PC used to create the sequence are different pictures and .avi will not found until you Change Directories for them in the testing PC.

file%20ref2.png

file%20ref1.png

Here is how I setup network Config to test individual props. Is this is not what you are asking then please disregard.

Alan...

Edited by default

On 7/4/2018 at 12:29 PM, default said:

*Edit* I see you got an answer while I was making my movie and adding this post. Is this something that will help?

If I understand your question correctly, you are wanting to test only 1 or 2 props at a time with another pc (laptop)?
If so, this is how I do it. See the video below.

It is important to note, that *if* you are testing in Sequencer an already made sequence (done with Sequencer) and have moved it to another PC for testing, any pictures that were used in Effect Generator must also be transfered to the testing pc. Likewise any Superstar effects that were add to the original sequence (.avi) must also be copied to the pc used for testing. Since the name of the testing PC is different from the PC used to create the sequence are different pictures and .avi will not found until you Change Directories for them in the testing PC.

file%20ref2.png

file%20ref1.png

Here is how I setup network Config to test individual props. Is this is not what you are asking then please disregard.

Alan...

Alan, thanks - yes that works but its not the solution I was hoping for from LOR. Its a lot of click, and you need to remember which com port to use for what. That all said, it solves my short term need so thanks for the ideas!

15 hours ago, ndutton said:

Alan, thanks - yes that works but its not the solution I was hoping for from LOR. Its a lot of click, and you need to remember which com port to use for what. That all said, it solves my short term need so thanks for the ideas!

I am not an S5 user however if they incorporated the Network Peferences tab as they do in previous versions you can place notes in the Network Pref tabs,

I place the el meant or prop used for the particular network. In my case I have 10 networks.

JR

Yes, S5 does allow note in Network Preferences.  I also use them all the time...

On 7/3/2018 at 11:08 PM, ndutton said:

by example. my show computer has a few LOR interfaces, a few DMX interfaces and so forth. When I am developing a DMX prop then I might take that prop and that one interface to a separate machine (my laptop) and play with things as I watch a film.

The problem is that I can't do that with a standard profile because that LOR adapter is missing. Generally this is only a problem where LOR is concerned as it checks for those interfaces.

I'd really like to be able to use a standard preview without those adapters being connected and to control real lights.

Good news! This will be addressed in the next release. Here is a sample -- the new "Control Lights" panel replaces Tools > Control Lights on the menu. Note that all DMX universes get grouped together into a single line item, while LOR networks are listed individually.

Matt

image.png

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:50 PM, MattBrown said:

Good news! This will be addressed in the next release. Here is a sample -- the new "Control Lights" panel replaces Tools > Control Lights on the menu. Note that all DMX universes get grouped together into a single line item, while LOR networks are listed individually.

Matt

image.png

MATT - this looks spot on, good job!

Edited by ndutton