Light-O-Rama Forums
dougd

DD07 Movie Effect Error

I have several videos in sequences and up to Version 5.018 were all working. They are uncompressed AVI files. I noticed they were not playing in version 5.022. When  I try and choose them in the effect editor I get the error "Unable to read frames from this file." Not sure what might have changed.

at ‫‮‏‬‌‍‮‬‌‍‏‍‌‪‮‫‎‭‎‪‭‎‫‍‫‭‎‪‮‭‮.‍‬‍‮‍‮‮‬‫‬‭‬‎‏‬‌‌‮‍‌‎‮‮()
   at ‪‭‏‍‏‬‏‬‍‭‬‭‎‭‪‍‍‎‮‬‮.Open()
   at LightORama.MotionEffects.EffectMovie.‫‍‏‭‍‭‫‍‍‍‌‭‍‍‌‪‮(IEffectBuffer )
    DateTime=2018-07-02T13:28:27.8176975Z
LORSequencer.exe Information: 0 : Closing movie effect frame grabber
LORSequencer.exe Error: 0 : movie effect error:
System.Exception: Exception while setting up AVI video decoding - perhaps a CODEC is missing.

Starting with version 5.0.20, the movie effect uses Windows to decode the movie files (instead of decoding them on its own). This is good because now you can use compressed video, and you can also use WMV files in addition to AVI files. Also, it can use video files with any frame rate and it will play back to your lights at the correct speed.

For AVI files, the S5 Sequencer is using "Video for Windows" (sometimes abbreviated VfW), the 32-bit version. So if you install additional video "CODECs" (the software that decodes the video), they need to be for "VFW32".

I hope that helps,

Matt

5 hours ago, dougd said:

I have several videos in sequences and up to Version 5.018 were all working. They are uncompressed AVI files. I noticed they were not playing in version 5.022. When  I try and choose them in the effect editor I get the error "Unable to read frames from this file." Not sure what might have changed.

at ‫‮‏‬‌‍‮‬‌‍‏‍‌‪‮‫‎‭‎‪‭‎‫‍‫‭‎‪‮‭‮.‍‬‍‮‍‮‮‬‫‬‭‬‎‏‬‌‌‮‍‌‎‮‮()
   at ‪‭‏‍‏‬‏‬‍‭‬‭‎‭‪‍‍‎‮‬‮.Open()
   at LightORama.MotionEffects.EffectMovie.‫‍‏‭‍‭‫‍‍‍‌‭‍‍‌‪‮(IEffectBuffer )
LORSequencer.exe Information: 0 : Closing movie effect frame grabber
LORSequencer.exe Error: 0 : movie effect error:
System.Exception: Exception while setting up AVI video decoding - perhaps a CODEC is missing.

If you  think a CODEC is missing, try this site to download the latest Codec's for Windows:

http://www.codecguide.com/download_k-lite_codec_pack_mega.htm

I've had missing CODEC's or had them get corrupted, this K-Lite Codec package has always installed just about every CODEC I ever needed and then some to get some thing working that weren't.   Might want to try this and see if it will help with your issue.  You want the Mega pack, Version 14.2.5 52MB posted on June 17, 2018.  So it;s the newest version available for versions of Windows above XP.   There is a version for folks still using the older Windows XP  version there as well.

NOTE: After installing the above version, run the Codec Tweak Tool and then click check for updates, this will take you to an upgrade page for Version 14.2.7, the latest upgrade, dated July 2, 2018 ~ 15.2 MB in size.  Download and run this to upgrade your K-Lite Codec Mega pack to all the latest Codec's.  Hopefully this may resolve your video issues.

Good Luck!

Edited by Orville
Added NOTE: abput K-Lite Codec Upgrade.
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MattBrown said:

Starting with version 5.0.20, the movie effect uses Windows to decode the movie files (instead of decoding them on its own). This is good because now you can use compressed video, and you can also use WMV files in addition to AVI files. Also, it can use video files with any frame rate and it will play back to your lights at the correct speed.

For AVI files, the S5 Sequencer is using "Video for Windows" (sometimes abbreviated VfW), the 32-bit version. So if you install additional video "CODECs" (the software that decodes the video), they need to be for "VFW32".

I hope that helps,

Matt

That is good, dont have to convert the videos anymore, now I have to find the originals. Either that or a codec for uncompressed AVI files.

4 hours ago, dougd said:

That is good, dont have to convert the videos anymore, now I have to find the originals. Either that or a codec for uncompressed AVI files.

Those VFW codec's are in the K-Lite Mega Pack I suggested.  It's a great little pack to have and it also has the Codec tweaking tool which you can set things the way you want.   I usually use the recommended settings when going through the wide assortment of lists of codec's, but if something doesn't work, I'll change the default Codec to a different one and try it again.   Usually the defaults/recommended codec's work just fine.  On occasion I have had to change a few of them.

On 7/2/2018 at 2:59 PM, MattBrown said:

I hope that helps,

Matt

These uncompressed videos play with all the players I can find. I can not find a program vfw32 other than a dll. Some of my video files are native uncompressed video files, will I need to convert those to something else. Here is a link to one of the files I am trying to use. I installed all the codecs I could find. Here is a link to one of the files I am trying to use.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!ApgRhyoQKfS8hp1NfgzXgkhWXHkVKg

• Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing the video. I got the same error you did, but was able to fix it...

Your video is 84 x 30 pixels. Some video codec's only work if the pixel dimensions are divisible by 4. So I loaded your video into VirtualDub (could probably use any video editor) and resized it to 84 x 32. The resized video loaded into S5 just fine, without any other adjustments.

Matt

2 hours ago, MattBrown said:

Thanks for sharing the video. I got the same error you did, but was able to fix it...

Your video is 84 x 30 pixels. Some video codec's only work if the pixel dimensions are divisible by 4. So I loaded your video into VirtualDub (could probably use any video editor) and resized it to 84 x 32. The resized video loaded into S5 just fine, without any other adjustments.

Matt

But why would they work in all the other players and not in the LOR Software?

That would seem to be an issue in the way the LOR software is set up to play the video.  If LOR is calling an external player and all these players play the video, wouldn't that suggest their is a coding problem in the way the LOR Software is interpreting a video file?    

I'm just puzzled as to why the video will play in all players and his video plays in my video editing software with no issue or changes.  Still leads me to think that their is something in the LOR Software code causing this issue and I'd think that could or would be an easy fix than having to constantly resize video files one may buy or get from others that may not be in that exact fivide by 4 format.

Since you're one of the programmers, hoping you can explain this in further detail as to why or why not a change couldn't be implemented to handle any size video, just in case it was an odd size, i.e. not divisible by 4.  That just seems to limit things just a bit, especially for those that may not know how to go about converting a video file and even when you do, sometimes the software will still change the size and it still may not be divisible by four, and if your keep changing it down from the original, then the video gets degraded and can look awful.

At least that's been my experience resizing and converting videos to a lower setting, as sometime it also has to convert the resolution, so it is changed into something not what the user intended or expected, especially, again, for those not familiar with resizing/converting video files.

Edited by Orville
put period{.} instead of question mark {?}

I have found another solution using the file you provided. Using VirtualDub 1.10.4 (other versions may work also):

1. Select File > Open Video File from the VirtualDub menu
  2. Select File > Save Old Format AVI from the menu. Enter a file name. Click Save.
  3. Use the file you created in step #2 in the S5 Effect Generator.

This approach does not change the dimensions of the video.

Matt

I was able to change the frame rate and that fixed my problem. Also, compressed AVI files seem to work without changing the frame rate. Currently when I pick the path to a movie, only AVI and WMV are available. MP4 seems to be the most popular option, will that be an option anytime soon

I'm glad you found a solution. We will probably add MP4 support someday, but it won't be soon -- too many higher priorities (like documentation and tutorials).

Matt