Light-O-Rama Forums

Hook CCP-2 to Falcon F16v3

CampbellHouse

Recently bought a Falcon F16v3 and have a question with regards getting some of my LOR devices hooked up to it and if it's possible. I have 3 CTB controllers already converted to DMX and connected to the Falcon through one of the serial ports and they seem to be working fine. Now I have two CCP2 devices I'd like to run from he Falcon also by connecting them to another one of the serial ports. Does any one know if his possible? If so could you please provide instructions on how this works? If I change the jumpers on the CCP2 controller to LOR and setup of the universe under the DMX settings in LOR Network Preferences does that make the controller run in DMX to the Falcon? What do the unit IDs need to be?

Also have a Pixie16 tree - 16x50 pixels that I would also like to get setup to run through the Falcon somehow but not sure if that's possible - I someone know how that will work can you please let me know?

Last year had all the LOR pixel controllers daisy chained together connected to a LOR High Speed USB to RS485 Adapter - was hoping I could do the same thing with the Falcon controller.

Any advise or help is greatly appreciated,

Thanks,
Chester

On the Falcon F16V3 there are three black RJ45 connectors running down the right side. Connectors two and three have jumpers to configure them for LOR, now whether the CCP2 (pixie2) will work on that or not I don't know as Pixie's were created for the LOR network. Now there are the Pixie2D and Pixie4D which do work on DMX but you may have to ask LOR about the standard Pixie.

My understanding is that the standard Pixie doesn't work due to channel count, not sure.

Edited by Mr. P

Thanks Mr P - I just got these last year and they are the second gen Pixie. There are jumpers on the board that say LOR or DMX so I’m thinking that if I jumpers it for DMX it should work on the Falcon but not sure. I setup DMX universe in Network Management and will set on the Falcon and see if it works.

Appreciate any and all assistance -

Chester

A RS485 cable with DMX formatted data can carry one Universe - no more.  That limits it to 512 channels.  I do know that the original CCP / CCB controller can run in DMX mode, but that controller is limited to 100 bulbs - which easily fits in one universe.  Since the newer CCP and Pixie controllers can easily exceed 512 channels (170 pixels) they would be very limited in their ability to operate from DMX - but I don’t for certain as I don’t own any of those.

As for the LOR / DMX switch or jumpers, that only changes the wiring pin out on the RJ—45 connectors.  Normal DMX wiring uses different pins of the connector vs the pins that LOR uses.  In the DMX position, pins 1 & 2 are connected to the Comm chip on the controller, whereas in the LOR position, pins 4 & 5 are connected to the Comm chip on the controller.

Since the Pixie 2 design is the replacement for original CCB/CCP it does retain backwards compatibility.  However (as Jim said),  they would then be limited to 50 pixels per port for 100 total.

I am not sure, but I do think there is a difference between Pixie 2s sold as boards and Pixie 2s sold as CCB/CCP/CCR.  IE, a plain Pixie II may not be able to be run in DMX mode, whereas one that is sold as a CCB/CCP can be.

Remember, DMX/LOR jumpers on all of our controllers do not change a devices MODE.  They only change which pins the data comes in on from the RJ45.  We probably should have labeled these jumpers ESTA and LOR, not LOR and DMX.

The device's MODE changes depending on the type of data it is hearing - LOR if it hears LOR protocol, DMX if it hears DMX protocol.  

The Pixie 4 does NOT run on a DMX universe.  You are being confused (rightly so) by the very poorly named Pixie4DMX.  That is not a pixel controller AT ALL, but a DMX universe bridge like the iDMX1000 - but with 4 universe support.  I tired to get them to call it the iDMX4000 since customers are all going to think that Pixie is a pixel controller.  I was told regardless of what it's usage is, since it was based on the Pixie design it would therefore be called a Pixie.  If you are seeing somewhere where the Pixie4 PIXEL controller is saying it can be DMX controlled, that is most likely an error on our part.

7 minutes ago, DevMike said:

The Pixie 4 does NOT run on a DMX universe.  You are being confused (rightly so) by the very poorly named Pixie4DMX.  That is not a pixel controller AT ALL, but a DMX universe bridge like the iDMX1000 - but with 4 universe support.  I tired to get them to call it the iDMX4000 since customers are all going to think that Pixie is a pixel controller.  I was told regardless of what it's usage is, since it was based on the Pixie design it would therefore be called a Pixie.  If you are seeing somewhere where the Pixie4 PIXEL controller is saying it can be DMX controlled, that is most likely an error on our part.

Good to know since I was going by the manual. The manuals have the Pixies clumped together so kind of confusing.

1 minute ago, Mr. P said:

Good to know since I was going by the manual. The manuals have the Pixies clumped together so kind of confusing.

I know... I know.... I said something about that too.

• The topic was locked