Light-O-Rama Forums
David in Apache

IP68 50 with end-to-end connections

I'm considering the IP68 50 strings with the end-to-end connectors, but can't find any details on how many strings you can put end to end. I'd appreciate any details anyone can provide.

7 minutes ago, David in Apache said:

I'm considering the IP68 50 strings with the end-to-end connectors, but can't find any details on how many strings you can put end to end. I'd appreciate any details anyone can provide.

Need more info:

Type of lights, as much info as you can provide.

Type of controller

A link to what you are looking at helps a lot.

These are the strings I'm looking at. I will purchase whatever controller they require. The product description says they can be controlled by Pixie4, Pixie8, Pixie16, CCC-II and Pixcon16 devices.  I already own 2 if the Pixie 16s and 6 of the CCC-II. And I'm looking at these new strings for the roof line, just exploring my options and wondering if anyone has used the end-to-end with any of these controllers and how many I could string together

http://store.lightorama.com/12vgrbu50cow.html

I'm trying to figure out how many strings I can connect end-to-end

Also using LOR S5 software.

46 minutes ago, David in Apache said:

These are the strings I'm looking at. I will purchase whatever controller they require. The product description says they can be controlled by Pixie4, Pixie8, Pixie16, CCC-II and Pixcon16 devices.  I already own 2 if the Pixie 16s and 6 of the CCC-II. And I'm looking at these new strings for the roof line, just exploring my options and wondering if anyone has used the end-to-end with any of these controllers and how many I could string together

http://store.lightorama.com/12vgrbu50cow.html

I'm trying to figure out how many strings I can connect end-to-end

Also using LOR S5 software.

Don't quote me on this, but I was looking at those and I thought I read in the pdf file that it they could only be 200 maximum, that is 4 strands of 50 connected together or 2 strands of 100 connected together per RGB output on the CCC-II, not sure if that applies to the other devices mentioned, but might.  

That is you can have a total of 400 RGB pixels per CCC-II if I read the info correctly, but that I believe is the maximum it can handle, again, not sure about the others as I was looking specifically at the CCC-II's for my use.

I'm sure if I'm off with this, hopefully DevMike or one of the other LOR folks more familiar with these things will chime in, he knows this stuff pretty good and I'd definitely trust the info DevMike provides.

They are the same as any 2811 pixel , 100 pixels per string is fine any more you probably need to inject power 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dennis Laff said:

They are the same as any 2811 pixel , 100 pixels per string is fine any more you probably need to inject power 

I thought that was only required if using 5V, if using 12V, I could swear I read 200 pixels without the need of having to inject power.  Just getting into this stuff and trying to read and watch all the videos on it.  

Just seem to recall that there is a difference in the number of pixels you can have depending on whether it's the older CCC-I which I have, and is 5V {4 pin} vs the new CCC-II which is 12V and 3 pin. 

I know mine can't do more than 100 pixels total, 2 strands of 50 pixels per side because of the 5V limitation, I think if I used injection, it may be possible to extend the strand{not really certain on that though}, but I don't even want to try it. 

But the newer CCC-II should be able to handle 2 strands of 50 per side {4 strands of 50 pixels} or 2 strands of 100 pixels, 100 pixels per side of the controller, all totaling 200 pixels on the new CCC-II. 

Like stated, this is for CCC-II, not sure about the other pixel controllers.  I don't think I'm mistaken on that from what I've read about this stuff I'm cramming my brain with on the LOR site and YouTube tutorial videos.

If I am in error, I hope one of the actual LOR employee folk will shed the light {no pun intended} on this so we're all certain of the facts.

Edited by Orville
  • Like 1

The biggest limitation is not the controller, but the voltage drop in the pixel wiring.  They generally don’t have large wires.  The general rule of thumb I learned long ago was however long a strip or string was sold as, that’s about the limit.  Most of my pixel strings are 5 volt and I have seen major issues much past 50 pixels.  I have some 12 volt strips that are 94 pixels and the far end was horrible until I added power to the far end of the strips.  For 2018, I am rebuilding my pixel tree and it will be 100 pixel strings at 12 volts.  I will test it without injection, but I am expecting to add power at the bottom of each string (controller is at the top).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, k6ccc said:

The biggest limitation is not the controller, but the voltage drop in the pixel wiring.  They generally don’t have large wires.  The general rule of thumb I learned long ago was however long a strip or string was sold as, that’s about the limit.  Most of my pixel strings are 5 volt and I have seen major issues much past 50 pixels.  I have some 12 volt strips that are 94 pixels and the far end was horrible until I added power to the far end of the strips.  For 2018, I am rebuilding my pixel tree and it will be 100 pixel strings at 12 volts.  I will test it without injection, but I am expecting to add power at the bottom of each string (controller is at the top).

have not tested but have heard that if you drop the intensity on the controller down from 100% to 75% you can get a longer run out of it.  Instead of 100 12v pixels running at 100%, 200 12v pixels running at 50-75%.

I have some props running 200 pixels at 50% and have no issues whatsoever. A lot of this depends how far away the strings are from the controller and the spacing of the nodes. Most of my pixels are 20 gauge so with 18 you should have even better results. 

Good to know all this extra stuff about pixel strand length and number.  Some more info to put in my reference file if I ever need it. :)

What @k6ccc said, it's the voltage drop in the wiring that will cause the issue. I generally go on the principle 5V = 50 pixels, 12v = 100 pixels before power injection is required.

As others have said lowering intensity can extend these numbers, but gauge of cable (AWG), length of cable between pixels and length of cable between sets of pixels are factors that need to be considered.

I have 2 lengths of (12V) 50 pixels that work if the pigtails are joined together, but if I put an extension cable between them, even only a 5ft one, then I get power and data related issues.

Here's a calculator that may help, if you want to get technical.