Light-O-Rama Forums

Windows 10 familiarization

k6ccc

12 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Cloning from an old computer to a new computer is not a good idea, as you stated the drivers are different.

A few month ago I purchased a new Alienware 17" laptop that came with a 2tb 7200rpm HD so I purchased a Samsung Pro 860 SSD. I cloned the  Alienware original HD to the SSD, put the SSD in the laptop and put the original HD in a drawer as an energency replacement. The Alienware is much faster now even tho it was fast to begin with, but if anything happens I have the original HD to fall back on.

That's what I purchased except I have a 4tb HDD and a 500 SSD and I believe 19" the I-9 processor. Took a bunch of my light $ but it worked for Christmas so I was happy.

My wife and children will be visiting her relatives while I am at the Expo. I will be visiting James and going to the shooting range.

Atlanta would be great, 3 hours vs 10.

We will be going to the new Wilderness Lodge up your way pretty soon. I have less than a month before school starts. Time is flying.

A 4tb HD can still be cloned to the SSD depending on how many files. The original HD will have something like three maybe four partitions in it and the SSD will be blank, you just have to create the partitions on the SSD with the main storage partition being much smaller.

1 minute ago, Mr. P said:

A 4tb HD can still be cloned to the SSD depending on how many files. The original HD will have something like three maybe four partitions in it and the SSD will be blank, you just have to create the partitions on the SSD with the main storage partition being much smaller.

Now you lost me. Will have to hit you up via pm or phone support some day. The only thing I have on the new laptop is SE and maybe SS , I cant remember. Along with whatever was preinstalled.

The only thing on this laptop is all LOR stuff with occasional pictures.

As you can see, a disk is made up of partitions. You need to mirror those partitions onto your SSD but the main partition (C:) will be smaller. You have my number you can give me a call.

Disk.JPG.511d63fe3ca62f0dfbe39ca95979bd6c.JPG

6 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

As you can see, a disk is made up of partitions. You need to mirror those partitions onto your SSD but the main partition (C:) will be smaller. You have my number you can give me a call.

Disk.JPG.511d63fe3ca62f0dfbe39ca95979bd6c.JPG

That is what I know due to Ghost copy a long time ago. I think my OS is on the SSD (new gaming laptop). Or should I just get a separate HDD to copy my current laptop for the just in case? This thing is noisy on boot up but its a little over a year old. Cheaper HP laptop but it did the job for Halloween. Just couldn't afford to lose it for Christmas since it is my sequencing laptop.

I will pm you before calling you but it wont be until sometime after the Expo. Thanks for the assistance.

4 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

That is what I know due to Ghost copy a long time ago. I think my OS is on the SSD (new gaming laptop). Or should I just get a separate HDD to copy my current laptop for the just in case? This thing is noisy on boot up but its a little over a year old. Cheaper HP laptop but it did the job for Halloween. Just couldn't afford to lose it for Christmas since it is my sequencing laptop.

I will pm you before calling you but it wont be until sometime after the Expo. Thanks for the assistance.

Oh no, not a HP. The older HP's have whitelists and replacing parts is a headache if not impossible. I don't know if the newer ones are any better but I tend to steer clear of HP.

Edited by Mr. P

4 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Oh no, not a HP. The older HP's have whitelists and replacing parts is a headache if not impossible. I don't know if the newer ones are any better but I tend to steer clear of HP.

Budget constraints at the time. Had to keep ahold of my $ for the Spring sale. My Dell lasted for 17 years, it could "almost" run the show but the processor couldn't keep up. Core 2 I believe. It came with Vista if I remember. LOL

The only thing I have done to this laptop is upgrade the memory. 

6 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Budget constraints at the time. Had to keep ahold of my $ for the Spring sale. My Dell lasted for 17 years, it could "almost" run the show but the processor couldn't keep up. Core 2 I believe. It came with Vista if I remember. LOL

The only thing I have done to this laptop is upgrade the memory. 

I have an older 2012 HP workstation laptop that came with Win7 Pro that I tried to upgrade for the grandkids a couple of years ago. I upgraded the memory but when I tried to put a SSD in it a blue box popped open and stated "HP does not recognize the installed device, please call HP Customer Support." Come to find out, Whitelist. If it is not on that list then it will not work.

3 hours ago, Mr. P said:

No, I would if they ever held it in Atlanta. I mean, I have relatives in Dallas I just don't like them.  ?

Heck I would travel from Florida to Atlanta if they had the Expo there too. I look for any excuse I can to go up to Blue Ridge and Cherry log Mountain area normally I go in February but I wouldn't mind taking a summer trip up there if they were to do an expo in Atlanta.

• The topic was locked