Light-O-Rama Forums
smithzone

CMB24D+CTB16PCg3+PiCap - Not talking

Testing out a Falcon PiCap and cannot seem to get the CTB16PCg3 (1.09) to cooperate. 

I am using the ethernet port (RJ-45) on the PiCap with a straight piece of CAT6 to the CMB24D port and then from there I have another straight piece of CAT6 going to the CTB16PCg3.   The PiCap is jumpered in DMX mode and I can get a test pattern on all 8 lights on the CMB24D.  The CMB24D was jumpered to DMX mode.   However, I cannot get the CTB16PCg3 (1.09) to respond to a test pattern.   

The CMB24D has a LOR ID of 22 and the  CTB16PCg3 is LOR iD 6, but I don't think that matters in DMX.

My test pattern includes all 40 channels - and have tried 1000+ to make sure.

Ethernet cables were flip flopped and same results (cables are good) - tried both ports on CTB16PCg3

I see conflicting information on needing a cross-over cable, but most of that was pretty dated and related to older CTB16PCs.

Stumped - any ideas?

Did you create a crossover cable? Light o rama uses pins 4&5 for data and DMX uses pins 1&2, so a standard patch cable will send the data to the wrong pins and LOR will never read them.

24 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Did you create a crossover cable? Light o rama uses pins 4&5 for data and DMX uses pins 1&2, so a standard patch cable will send the data to the wrong pins and LOR will never read them.

I have read conflicting information if I need one - as the CTB16v3 can understand DMX.  Maybe I am misinterpreting that......and it can understand DMX (but it has to be on the right pins).

So maybe build a crossover and place it between the CMB24D+CTB16PCg3?

10 minutes ago, smithzone said:

I have read conflicting information if I need one - as the CTB16v3 can understand DMX.  Maybe I am misinterpreting that......and it can understand DMX (but it has to be on the right pins).

So maybe build a crossover and place it between the CMB24D+CTB16PCg3?

Essentially all of the LOR controllers will understand and process LOR commands or DMX commands WITHOUT making any hardware or wiring changes.  The catch is that the LOR controllers use pins 4 & 5 for data and the DMX standard uses pins 1 & 2 for data.  So a crossover cable is required between DMX hardware and LOR hardware.  A couple of the newer LOR controllers have jumpers or switches on them that change what pins are being used for data.  Changing the jumpers has ABSOLUTELY no bearing on the ability of the controller to process DMX vs LOR commands - it only changes what pins on the RJ-45 connectors are routed to the Communications chip on the board.

With that said, the CMB24D DOES have jumpers for DMX wiring standard vs LOR wiring standard.  They are located close to the two RJ-45 connectors.  The CTB16PCg3 DOES NOT have such jumpers.  So you have two options:

1)  Falcon DMX output -> crossover cable -> either LOR controller -> straight cable -> the other LOR controller.  In this case, the jumpers on the CMB24D would need to be in the LOR Network position.

2) Falcon DMX output -> straight cable -> CMB24D (with jumpers in the DMX network position) -> crossover cable -> CTB16PCg3.

Important note:  When I refer to a crossover cable, this is NOT a standard ethernet crossover cable.  So if you go into your local computer or office supply store and buy a computer crossover cable, it will NOT work.  You need a DMX to LOR crossover cable which has pins 1 & 2 (DMX end) connected to pins 4 & 5 (LOR end).

16 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Essentially all of the LOR controllers will understand and process LOR commands or DMX commands WITHOUT making any hardware or wiring changes.  The catch is that the LOR controllers use pins 4 & 5 for data and the DMX standard uses pins 1 & 2 for data.  So a crossover cable is required between DMX hardware and LOR hardware.  A couple of the newer LOR controllers have jumpers or switches on them that change what pins are being used for data.  Changing the jumpers has ABSOLUTELY no bearing on the ability of the controller to process DMX vs LOR commands - it only changes what pins on the RJ-45 connectors are routed to the Communications chip on the board.

With that said, the CMB24D DOES have jumpers for DMX wiring standard vs LOR wiring standard.  They are located close to the two RJ-45 connectors.  The CTB16PCg3 DOES NOT have such jumpers.  So you have two options:

1)  Falcon DMX output -> crossover cable -> either LOR controller -> straight cable -> the other LOR controller.  In this case, the jumpers on the CMB24D would need to be in the LOR Network position.

2) Falcon DMX output -> straight cable -> CMB24D (with jumpers in the DMX network position) -> crossover cable -> CTB16PCg3.

Important note:  When I refer to a crossover cable, this is NOT a standard ethernet crossover cable.  So if you go into your local computer or office supply store and buy a computer crossover cable, it will NOT work.  You need a DMX to LOR crossover cable which has pins 1 & 2 (DMX end) connected to pins 4 & 5 (LOR end).

Thanks Jim

Yep, I got the CMB24D jumpered to DMX which explains why that one works.   I think I got hung up on the fact that I read that the CTB16PCg3 is suppose to understand DMX.  However, the data has to be on the rights pins still (which I misinterpreted).

I am thinking I will test out option 2 and see what I get.  Yep, I know it is not a normal "crossover" cable.  I know Coro sells them , but I will likely just make a couple.

2 minutes ago, smithzone said:

Yep, I got the CMB24D jumpered to DMX which explains why that one works.   I think I got hung up on the fact that I read that the CTB16PCg3 is suppose to understand DMX.  However, the data has to be on the rights pins still (which I misinterpreted).

I think you've got it!

2 minutes ago, smithzone said:

I am thinking I will test out option 2 and see what I get.  Yep, I know it is not a normal "crossover" cable.  I know Coro sells them , but I will likely just make a couple.

If you have the crimp tool (I make hundreds of cables for various stuff), it's easy enough to make.