Light-O-Rama Forums
k6ccc

JRW18 - Network config comment field justification

Posted (edited)

Version:  S5.0.20 and 5.0.18

Module:  Network Configuration (LOR or DMX tabs)

Also Windows Server 2012 R2  (5.0.20)

Also Windows XP  (5.0.18)

When adding a comment to a DMX universe, the comment text is left justified if the first character of the comment is a letter, but right justified if the first character is a number.  See screen capture below:

Repeatability:  Observed on both this Win7 workstation and my Server (both computers that have been updated to 5.0.20).  I remoted into my XP that is still 5.0 18 and the same condition exists there.

Note:  This should be considered a MINOR issue!

S5.0.20_Network_setting.png

Edited by k6ccc

Jim,

I have seen this also in S4 versions. As a test I booted up a pc with 4.3.22 on it, and it does the same thing. I ended up changing my comment to make it justify left, you can also add a blank space then add the number and it will justify correctly..

Alan...

I'm not surprised that it has been around for a long time.  It's not something that most people would have even noticed.  The only reason I did is that I changed the comment on my P5 matrix to specify the size of the matrix, and it changed the justification.  Like I said, a MINOR issue...

No problem, I'll set the correct bit.  FYI:  This has been around since the Net Prefs initial release:  S3.5.0 - July 12, 2012 :P

<Programmer Rant>

I really don't understand why the Microsoft Flex Grid (which is what you are actually looking at when you see almost all lists in S4, and most in S5) has an 'Auto' justification.  It is NOT common for a column to display BOTH numeric and alpha numeric at the same time.  When it does, 99 out of 100 times the numeric data should be displayed as if it were alpha data.

Sure, Auto makes it easy at design time (read:  allows for a lazy programmer).  We test, it looks OK and get's released.  6 years later someone uses a number and we look foolish.  Had the control forced you (me, the programmer) to pick an alignment, this would not have happened.  Sometimes EASY is not correct.

</Programmer Rant>

Damn users doing stuff that the programmer never anticipated!

Thanks Mike.

Confirmed fixed in 5.0.22