Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel Editor Vs Superstar - What are the differences?

Orville

Tried doing a search and came up empty on this query, so now that I'm getting into RGB smart pixels/lighting, and will be upgrading my version of the LOR Software sometime in July or August{with a wee bit o' luck} and going for the PRO license.  Also considering the SuperStar license, but not too sure on that just yet. 

Well I need to know what exactly is the difference between the LOR Pixel Editor and the SuperStar software?  

I have played around with the SuperStar demo so know a wee bit, but not a lot, of what it does, but still need to learn more about it.

Do both of these programs do the same thing?    I know the PE works in LOR if you have the Pro license, but SuperStar requires an additional license, that I understand, but I'm not sure if I need SS if PE will do the same or similar job.

Hoping someone here will be able to clarify the differences and options between the 2 and which one is either better or worse, easier or harder to learn and use.  Currently I am still using the same LOR suite listed with my name, 3.8.2, so I have no idea what Pixel Editor does or how it looks or works, whether or not it has a demo mode in the newer LOR Software Suite as SuperStar does with limitations until you get the license or licenses needed to use them fully.

Would very much like to know if there is a pdf file on the LOR site somewhere I missed that explains the Pixel Editor and differences or compatibilities {if any} between the two programs, again, tried searching the forums and other search engines, but kept coming up empty.

And do you really need both?  Or just one or the other?  And which one is preferred?

Thanks to anyone for any guidance or direction to where I can find the info online, or someone sharing their experiences between the two here will help me a lot to learn more of which one I should be more inclined to go with.  This will also help me to know what I've really gotten myself into this time!:lol:;)

Thanks again!

Great question, and like all complicated questions, the correct answer is: it depends.  They both control RGB lights, but their functionalities are geared towards two separate areas.  In a nutshell, the PE is the software for large-scale RGB displays.  SuperStar is geared towards a "custom-sequenced" element or set of elements where you will want individual control of each pixel at any point in the timeline. 

A lot of people use SuperStar for CCR trees, a situation where you might have 12 vertical lines as a "mini" matrix, displaying characters, text or graphics in perfect sync.  Much like the original Sequence Editor, you have individual control over each RGB light at each moment in time -- if want it. The software enables you to get perfect synchronization with your graphics, but you really have to do a majority of it "manually".

On the other hand, people who have lots of RGB elements tend to use the Pixel Editor.  Pixel editor enables you to overlay live media files on your elements (think patterns, videos, color fades, etc.) and you control the entire effect at once, using ramps, on/off commands, shimmer commands, etc.  You do not* have individual control of each pixel, but the strength of the PE is that you can program tens of thousands of pixels in just seconds.  You can group your elements differently, and apply color in a lot of creative ways.  Click here for a video of a display I did with the Pixel Editor (S5) (*You can get super creative to control individual bulbs / sections, but the majority of what you do in the PE is applied to large groups of lights)

This is a super high-level overview of both pieces of software, but it gives you the gist.  Would you mind sharing what things you are desiring to control?  We might be able to diagnose better what may fit your situation best.  

• Like 1

If everything goes as I plan, I'll be controlling 5 LOR CCB-100 controllers, each controlling 2 strand of 50 RGB lights (100 per controller/ 500 RGB lights in total}.   And yes, I want to be able to control each pixel both ways, independently of each other and in other scenarios as a batch of RGB pixels, like maybe 5 to 10 pixels per section of the strand, i.e. 10 sections of 5 or 5 sections of 10 pixels.   Hope this makes sense.

Just a note, have opted to add the SuperStar program for 2400 channels when I also upgrade my LOR Software and license to the newest released version and PRO license.   So I think I should be good to go once I have everything and get all the new software and upgrades.

Thanks for all the info.  Still a lot to learn I know. ;)

• 3 months later...

I am struggling with Pixel Editor and I think it is because of how I have gotten used to dealing with my CCR's for the past 5 years. I only have 4, and so I simply used the sequence editor to handle them all and I have gotten used to controlling every pixel individually. I've added a 16 strand CCR tree this year, I'm not picking up xLights fast enough and Pixel Editor isn't making much sense either. It sounds like I need to bite the bullet and get the SuperStar upgrade. Has it worked out for you Orville like you had hoped?

8 minutes ago, Homuncio said:

I am struggling with Pixel Editor and I think it is because of how I have gotten used to dealing with my CCR's for the past 5 years. I only have 4, and so I simply used the sequence editor to handle them all and I have gotten used to controlling every pixel individually. I've added a 16 strand CCR tree this year, I'm not picking up xLights fast enough and Pixel Editor isn't making much sense either. It sounds like I need to bite the bullet and get the SuperStar upgrade. Has it worked out for you Orville like you had hoped?

Nope, not using Pixel Editor, too much confusion for me at this time.   I'm doing everything in SE.  I can't afford a SuperStar License currently for the number of Pixel Channels I have.  In 2019, I may try and figure out Pixel Editor, but so far, it's been a total bust, I just do not understand the mechanics of adding a prop or even adding controllers to it or editing what's already there.    I prefer SE, so much simpler and easier to use than PE will ever be for me I'm afraid.

I've used the SuperStar Demo and it seems much easier than the PE program, but it's a cost burden for me at the moment, so maybe one day I'll buy SS, but for now, it's strictly SE all the way for me.   I was hoping to upgrade to SS, but will have to wait on this one as the extra funding I was hoping I'd have to do it fell through.   Still hoping to get an SS License in the future, just not sure it may be the "near" future.

Edited by Orville

• 2 months later...

PE is DEAD easy once you get it set up... BUT it is limiting... but thats the point a little bit... SS license would be $$$$ and I am not good enough yet to animate etc...but PE allows me to program a whole song of stuff onto my tree and star in minutes...

40 minutes ago, carsonsig said:

PE is DEAD easy once you get it set up... BUT it is limiting... but thats the point a little bit... SS license would be $$$$ and I am not good enough yet to animate etc...but PE allows me to program a whole song of stuff onto my tree and star in minutes...

My biggest issue with it is the sequencing block size, I need it to be as large as the SE.  I'm legally blind and vision has worsened, since the retina surgery I had back in 2002 has broken partially loose in my right eye.  So now I have no peripheral vision on the right side, along with no depth perception.  So I just can't focus in on those dadburn itty-bitty baby blocks in the PE. :(

Wish there was a way to make the PE blocks as large as they are in the SE, then I could probably use it.   As it is now, I doubt I'll ever have the ability to use it in its current configuration.  Even though I'd love to try to use it, I just can't see it well enough to do so! :(

Edited by Orville

4 minutes ago, Orville said:

My biggest issue with it is the sequencing block size, I need it to be as large as the SE.  I'm legally blind and vision has worsened, since the retina surgery I had back in 2002 has broken partially loose in my right eye.  So now I have no peripheral vision on the right side, along with no depth perception.  So I just can't focus in on those dadburn itty-bitty baby blocks in the PE. :(

Wish there was a way to make the PE blocks as large as they are in the SE, then I could probably use it.   As it is now, I doubt I'll ever have the ability to use it in its current configuration.  Even though I'd love to try to use it, I just can't see it well enough to do so! :(

Just for the record, if anyone sees this, the S4 Pixel Editor will allow you to zoom in and make the programming area WIDER. However, it is missing the ability to make the programming area taller.

4 minutes ago, Don said:

Just for the record, if anyone sees this, the S4 Pixel Editor will allow you to zoom in and make the programming area WIDER. However, it is missing the ability to make the programming area taller.

That's my issue, I need it both wider and taller {preferably}. 

And I just tried to find out how to make it wider, I can drag the window and it widened it by a very small margin, still not very large.   So how do you get it to zoom wider?    I can't seem to locate a ZOOM In or ZOOM OUT anywhere in the PE, and I just looked for those without success and I just now tried it and it didn't widen it hardly at all.

So could you please tell me how to make it a lot wider at least?

Thank you.

Thanks Don.  Didn't realize that's what that did.  I thought that was part of the PLAY sequence.  *DOH*

But that helps a lot, thank you very much! :D

Now I just have to figure out how to set the RGB nodes up in there.  Was hoping just loading a sequence with the RGB channels already set would do it, but found out real fast that didn't work!

Again thank you Don, very much appreciated!

So what I still don't understand is what the value of either of these are if you don't have a matrix or a lot of pixel-based elements that form a large "prop" (a number of firesticks, perhaps).  I have two candy canes and two arches, and don't understand what value - if any - either program would add to my sequencing efforts.   For what I have been doing (see the video below for a sample), SE has been enough.. Am I missing out on something?

https://vimeo.com/305806999/6b35606bf5

Edited by jtomason

33 minutes ago, jtomason said:

SE has been enough.. Am I missing out on something?

I'm sequencing about 3k pixels in SE, Tried Pixel Editor, not enough control, and Sequencer, can't yet edit base RGB channels, (although Matt is working on it) . I was going to work on Superstar this year but the cost and the changing playing field with S5 is leaving me where I am with S4 for the moment. Maybe forever, since I have little desire for matrices with tens of thousands of pixels.

So to answer you question, Not really.

Sample below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/txn9tyff33xd0nm/2018 Imagine Dragons Thunder.mp4?dl=0

4 minutes ago, jtomason said:

Where did you get those moving spotlights and how much are they??  #drooling

https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/0.html?orderId=88605653203095&productId=32792886786

Bear in mind they are not in any way waterproof. I have them tucked as far under my eaves as possible, and crossing my fingers. So far so good.

Sorry , double post, internet connection got flakey

Edited by PhilMassey
Double post for no apparent reason

42 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/0.html?orderId=88605653203095&productId=32792886786

Bear in mind they are not in any way waterproof. I have them tucked as far under my eaves as possible, and crossing my fingers. So far so good.

Got a direct link to the product?  That's a link to your order, which I cannot see.  :)

7 minutes ago, jtomason said:

Got a direct link to the product?  That's a link to your order, which I cannot see.  :)

Interested also....thanks!