Light-O-Rama Forums

2018 Expo FOOD!

LOR Staff

So 2017's Nashville's highlight for food (at least for me) was Nashville Hot (chicken).  Delicious!  If ever back in town I will definitely hit that up again.  It was so good in fact that I skipped a trip to White Castle just so I could have it twice!  

So it's been 3 years since we've been to DFW.  The two places I will definitely be going to are:

In-N-Out Burger (Double Double, fries animal style).  My plane get's in at 8:30PM, and what better way to break in a rental car than with takeout!
Babe's Chicken Dinner House

Both were stand outs from the 2015 show.  I really liked Babe's - not so much because I can't get good fried chicken here in FL, but because it was a fun time.  If you can, get a group together and go.  In fact of all the Expo's I've gone to, Babe's is about the only place that stood out enough that I want to go back!

If you re from the DFW area, please let us know some of the great places to eat YOU know of.  They don't have to be sit down, or even a restaurant (Tacos at a gas station? WHY NOT!).

Any regional specialties that expo people just can't miss?

7 minutes ago, DevMike said:

In-N-Out Burger (Double Double, fries animal style).

"That's what a hamburger is all about". 

As a southern California native, we are spoiled.  Have two of their restaurants within two miles of the house and one within long walking distance from work.

Damn, now I want a hamburger - and I'm currently eating breakfast!

2 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

"That's what a hamburger is all about". 

I love a good burger- OK, who am I kidding here?  I love ALL food! Just look at me! :P

I have gone out for burgers many times, including to some of these 'premium' burger places like Five Guys, Red Robin, etc.  Are they good burgers?  Sure - but you end up dropping $15.   For $15 I can go get a 'real' sit down meal.  For $7 I can (or at least I could) walk out of an In-N-Out with a burger and fries just as good - if not better.  

Steak-N-Shake (what is it with the 'N'?) would be the only other burger that comes close to the deliciousness per dollar that In-N-Out does (Double-n-cheese w/fries or tripple no cheese with fries - $4!!!!).  It is NOT the same style burger, but is just as awesome taste/value wise.  If you have not been to one, there are several in DFW (most appear to be north of the city, but there are some within about 10 miles).  

I know you are sworn to secrecy. Will there be a new beta release or final release of S5 at the expo?

BTW, Steak N Shake is the best value burger out there for sure. Good chili too.

I remember a place in Davie Florida back in the early to mid-90s called Hot n Now everybody said tasted like In-N-Out I used to love their burgers. To this day I still haven't been to an in n out but I buy the White Castle burgers Frozen from Walmart lol. But Fried Chicken in Florida hmmmm I would have to say Lee's Fried Chicken in Ocala. See now I'm getting hungry and I have to go find some lunch maybe I might have to drive an hour to Ocala today for some good fried chicken LOL.

7 hours ago, dougd said:

Good chili too.

Absolutely.  I do have to say (sorry TX) that Cincinnati chili is my favorite.  5 Way ALL the way! :)

Check this out!  Awesome!

My plane leaves later Sunday, so I have a lot of time to kill from checkout till 8PM.  I have been dying to try conveyor belt sushi.  I'll make it one day to Japan, I swear. 

There are none here in FL, but TX has them!  https://kurausa.com/

Sunday dinner is SET! :)

3 hours ago, DevMike said:

Check this out!  Awesome!

My plane leaves later Sunday, so I have a lot of time to kill from checkout till 8PM.  I have been dying to try conveyor belt sushi.  I'll make it one day to Japan, I swear. 

There are none here in FL, but TX has them!  https://kurausa.com/

Sunday dinner is SET! :)

Sashimi much better. Get the tuna (maguru). This American take in sushi is just not my cup of tea. 

I spent 9 years in Japan while USMC.

JR

It means the best burger is also smeared with extra dressing, mustard and pickles, now it could also mean the fries animal style get cheese and onions.

I sure miss the Double Double, grew up in California eating at In-N-Out, can't wait till next year visiting Texas to go again.

Keith

I like to think I know my burgers so I would have to chime in on the following in order of greatness

1.  LODO's in downtown Denver, CO: Bacon mac and cheese burger - 1/2 pound patty properly cooked, three pieces of tasty/smoked/grilled pork belly, and a dollop of cheesy mac and cheese.  shouldn't work but really does.

2. Tub's Pub in Sumner, NE - regular burger, you can add a variety of toppings but at the basic level still a good burger, 1/2 pound patty properly cooked.

3. Cunningham's Journal in Kearney, NE - Prarie Burger- it was a 1/2 pound properly seasoned patty, 1/2 pound of smoked brisket, colby jack cheese, onion straws, and slathered in BBQ sauce.

Caniac

You have a good memory, I remember having a good burger at certain one or two restaurant places but just can't remember the names usually, but growing up in California there was always a In-N-Out drive thru somewhere near so guess that helped.

Remember flying to California for an event and wife and I snuck out after to just have a good burger, and every time she fly's back to visit her family she will send a picture back of her and her sisters eating at In-N-Out, she does have a mean side sometimes LOL.

Living in Florida since 1985 we missed In-N-Out and heard from a friend there was a In-N-Out in Gainesville, so one Saturday we drove the hour over to have a good lunch like the old days to only be disappointed the name was the same but it was not a In-N-Out. Funny what you do for a burger sometimes.

Good memories, Thanks, now I want a double double Ha Ha.

Keith

some places are just memorable!!  I had a bypass 5 years ago so most of what I eat is healthy but the wife gave me a free pass at those three establishments.  We were going to a Rockies game and her nephew worked at that restaurant so we dropped in.  She actually spotted it on the menu and said "go for it, it has your three favorite food groups".  I love that woman.  The folks in Nebraska really know how to cook a burger but if you want a good steak then OKC, OK is the place to go.  It's called Cattleman's Steakhouse (oldest continually running steakhouse in the US), Tom aka SantasHelper can verify that place.

1 hour ago, Kapkirk said:

we missed In-N-Out and heard from a friend there was a In-N-Out in Gainesville,

A few years ago here in W Central FL (Tampa Bay), there was an old shut down burger place in St. Pete.  Someone took the time to create a very good (should I say, PERFECT) sign that they stuck up on the old sign saying In-N-Out coming soon!

People went BONKERS!  The newspaper picked it up, everything.  There was dancing in the streets!  Well, maybe not literally but everyone who knew what/who they were was very happy.  A few days later it broke that it was a hoax.  Never heard who did it.  Apparently last year someone pulled the same prank in NYC.

And just to clarify if you are going to bring me lunch:  it's a Double Double extra everything with chilies, fries animal style (cheese, onions, spread), and diet coke (can't have too many calories!!!! :P).  Actually, hold the drink.

Devmike

You got it, just as soon as they expand to Florida I'll treat. I remember someone told me In-N-Out doesn't expand past their distribution area because they wouldn't use frozen meat. Now I see they are in Texas which has got to be past their area, guess Texas has some cows near by. Come to think of it Florida has a few ranch's with a fresh cow or two. Hum, hears hoping.

Caniac

I know that steak house, used to attend training courses in Norman Ok for the post office, that is where their main training center is for mechanics and we used to go for a good steak at least once a trip. I wonder if the wife will notice if I change our long RV trip next year to include Texas for In-N-Out, OK city for steak and Nebraska for burgers LOL. Nah, she likes a good steak too.

Keith

A new In-N-Out just opened about 15 minutes away from my house here in Las Vegas. After living a couple years in Hawaii I really missed these burgers... The Double-Double is definitely the way to go.

Here you go Dallas (Peggy Sue BBQ 6600 Sinder Plaza) (Sonny Bryans 2202 Inwood RD) (velvet Taco 3012 N Henderson) ( E Bar Tex-Max 1901 N Haskell)  Mesquite (Mesquit BBQ 145 E Davis ST) (Bakers Ribs 2202 N Galloway AV) (Cafe Del Rio True Tex-Mex 1534 N Peachtree RD)

• The topic was locked