Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie in Fort Worth

Brittany

I need step by step instructions ?.. I am about ready to sell what I have without even using it. I don' know A THING about any of this. I also dont really see anything useful for how ignorant i am with all of this. If there is a thread place let me know.

Who is near fort worth, tx that can come tutor me? Haha

All I have is the 16 channel set up to get started.  

Now what?

-Put it together and plug it in.

-Plug lights up to the cords to check it.

My next step is to buy some more lights because I only have whats used for my tree inside. I just bought a house so this will be my very first time ever decorating with lights outside.

Thanks in advance!!! 

• Like 1

I live in Keene tx shoot me a email at hotrod54ford@yahoo.com James Morris  I started out with 16 have a lot of sequences for it I do Christmas and Halloween I'm about 45 min south of you 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brittany said:

I need step by step instructions ?.. I am about ready to sell what I have without even using it. I don' know A THING about any of this. I also dont really see anything useful for how ignorant i am with all of this. If there is a thread place let me know.

Who is near fort worth, tx that can come tutor me? Haha

All I have is the 16 channel set up to get started.  

Now what?

-Put it together and plug it in.

-Plug lights up to the cords to check it.

My next step is to buy some more lights because I only have whats used for my tree inside. I just bought a house so this will be my very first time ever decorating with lights outside.

Thanks in advance!!! 

We all started there. I'm actually trying to teach my kids how to do this right now and I'm using the following guys tutorials to teach them the basics. Sure it takes a little while to get going but your first year is always the hardest after that everything kind of starts getting tweaked better and better every year. Take a look at this guy's instructional tutorial on YouTube start with tutorial one he has 4 tutorials that really explain a lot and are a huge help and I used his tutorials to get started. Once you understand the basics you can always ask other questions in here. I still do it to this day lol just remember to be patient and take a break when needed it's a lot to take in but Im sure you will enjoy this new Addiction. His videos explain a lot for the beginners... 

If you start with his tutorial one then go to number two number three and then number four it should kind of bring you up to speed with all the basics for just starting out. There is alot of people here who are willing to help. Don't hesitate to ask questions or search for previously answered questions by using the search feature in the forum's. Shockingly a lot of questions have already been answered and you can find a lot of useful information in previous threads. If still not sure, post a new thread and ask. I have a few old 16 channel sequences from my first year I can share with you once your up to speed.

Edited by GriswoldStyle
  • Thanks 1

My first set up was set up like WOW lights 5 tombstones 2 3 channel singing pumpkins roof line eves right and left side of house  Christmas roof eves right and left side of house 9 min trees one three channel singing tree lived in Arlington had so many people come by at Halloween we had 500 trick or treaters the street was shut down

• Like 1

I will help you get a show going will give phone number be email will give you sequences and show you how to set up your system you will love it 

My great friend James will take great care of you to get you started and keep you going. We have enough sequences and adding almost daily.

As far as lights and just starting out mid year. I would just get a good vis of your house and learn how to sequence.

You can see what your lights will look like on your house, yard or whatever else you want to light up.

i can help you with your vis, just need a pic of your decorating area and what you would like to light and color per section.

James can provide you with my info when he talks to you.

Just starting out to keep cost reasonable I’d wait until Sept when the big box stores start selling lights to buy them. Yes some will say this that and the other about that comment but it’s not their money. In the meantime you can learn how it all comes together. Get measurements of your lighting objects and make a plan.

Learning how to use a picture and set up the visualizer is key when you don’t have a test setup.

Best of luck and welcome to the addiction.

just in case- The visualizer - to keep

it understandable.

Will Allow you to add a picture of your house etc. to your computer and place lights where you want them s of the color you choose. 

You create a sequence and pair it up to your controller setup in vis and play and you will see how your layout will look.

If you don’t like something you can change it.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Lots of great people on the forum and fully expected ;that someone would reach out to you.  But  as you progress through this hobby and to be successful, you will have to roll up your sleeves and do the research and ask questions.  Tthat way, you will b e better able to ask question, whether online or in person.  Has to been sort of a joint efforts between people askin for and those providing info/help

WELCOME TO THE INSANITY!  It really looks harder than it is.  You will be fine!

Welcome to the forums and welcome to the community!

At first glance for myself when I started in 2014, this was hands-down the hardest thing to start. However, it grows on you and you fall in love with the simplicity of it all. Before you know it, Christmas will come and you'll be delighted with yourself. My first suggestion to you is to take a picture of the area that you are lighting up and come up with an idea for how you want to design your show. Factor in access and your abilities and budget, and slowly you're shaping your first show. After you've designed your show, you're going to want to either buy or make your own sequences. Given how intensely you expressed your frustration (which is valid by the way), I recommend buying sequences either from the store or from LOR partner vendors. Once you've nailed down your show, now you can shop for your materials and lighting. Since you have a single 16-channel controller, I would start by compiling what you have now before you buy anything new. Take stock of the types of lighting you have and figure out what lights can be placed where. After this, you can think about how to mount your lights and connect them to your controller. I recommend buying SPT-2 lamp cord wire and vampire plugs, you can make custom length extension cords to your controller with it. From there, it's time to build, mount, connect, and power up!

Just to recap:
[1] Design your light show using a picture of your house
[2] Buy some 16-channel sequences
[3] Purchase materials and lighting
[4] Build, mount, power on.

There are some in-between steps that you should be aware of, but this is for a later time. Hopefully, this clarifies for you what the next steps to take are, in your position.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

• The topic was locked