Light-O-Rama Forums

What do you use for a mega tree mast pole? Looking to make a 20 ft tree

GriswoldStyle

I think I may have found the correct stuff at Lowe's today at a much better price than what Home Depot was. They had 1 in and a quarter 10 ft sections of galvanized pipe and also had the black iton pipe 10 foot sections for $29. Just wanted to run this by you all and see if this is what everyone was talking about it's really thick and really heavy. 2rpsfvr.jpg

125rlzo.jpg

Plus they had the black iron pipe as well. Apparently it didn't take the picture when I thought it did of the black iron pipe but I was able to grab a photo of the price tag2zefrxd.jpg

Edited by GriswoldStyle

On 5/30/2018 at 6:42 PM, smithzone said:

Black iron is what I use

+1 

That's what we have always used, and never had any problems. 

We also have PVC buried 2.5ft deep and encased in concrete as a base. 

I already ordered and received one of the 12" pin poles. I ordered two so I have a backup but only one arrived so waiting on the other. Planned on getting the black iron pipe as well since it was only $29 for the 10-foot sections at Lowe's. Luckily the pole pins got put back in stock after an email to the company. So I'm going to have that ready next week so I can reconstruct my setup for it this year.

One note on using the pin - sometimes it is hard to get it into the pipe as there is a weld line in the pipe.  You may need to grind it out if it seems snug.   I used a rounded metal file connected to a sawzall to clean mine up.

50 minutes ago, smithzone said:

You may need to grind it out if it seems snug.   I used a rounded metal file connected to a sawzall to clean mine up.

I like that tip - although I'm not quite sure how to connect a round file to a sawzall...

2 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

I like that tip - although I'm not quite sure how to connect a round file to a sawzall...

roflmao

I have a dremel with an extension on it.

I've done similar with a round file chucked up in a drill, but the in and out motion of a sawzall would work far better than a rotary motion for the purpose.

• 2 weeks later...

I use 1 1/2 rigid conduit from Lowes for our 20 foot mega tree, purchased the 20 ft kit from 3G http://store.3glightingcreations.com/20-foot-mega-tree-kit/ , they recommended 1 1/2 pipe.

I have one of the 1 1/4 inch pole pins that of course won't fit my 1 1/2 inch conduit so if anyone needs one holler at me IM. Dang thing is heavy so local pickup near Jacksonville Florida would be better.

Keith

My neighbors and I got a heck of a few laughs in reading the reviews as well... But the icing on the cake is the people who bought this also bought section lol...

17 hours ago, GriswoldStyle said:

My neighbors and I got a heck of a few laughs in reading the reviews as well... But the icing on the cake is the people who bought this also bought section lol...

OMG, I hadn't read the reviews!!!  :)

• Like 1

On 6/20/2018 at 8:16 PM, GriswoldStyle said:

The reviews are hilarious!! ?

"We as many others on Amazon, used this for a vac-u-lock toy. Works great for that. I really have no idea what the original purpose is for." ? ?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I use 1 1/2 in flag poles, I have two. I have concreted the sleeves into the ground. I attach the star to the top of them them attach a crank to the shaft and hoist the lights up, easier that trying to lift the pole and putting into the ground. I also use 3 guide wires to anchor it from swaying. Works great.  If a strand fails. I simply lower the crank, replace the strand and crank it back up.

• 1 month later...

During my Lowe’s run the other day I found some 1 1/4 galvanized structural railing that is 10ft. The chain link top rail slides nicely inside this. With that I think I may be able to make a crank type telescoping pole. Also if I get worried about strength the galvanized 1 in structural railing slides nicely in the top rail. All sold by Lowe’s. 

Or we put in an actual flag pole. We been wanting to do that for some time. 

2 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

During my Lowe’s run the other day I found some 1 1/4 galvanized structural railing that is 10ft. The chain link top rail slides nicely inside this. With that I think I may be able to make a crank type telescoping pole. Also if I get worried about strength the galvanized 1 in structural railing slides nicely in the top rail. All sold by Lowe’s. 

Or we put in an actual flag pole. We been wanting to do that for some time. 

Go to ebay and type in US Military camoflauge netting. They come with some really nice extremely HD aluminum poles. I paid $40 for the kit. Plenty of poles. Drilled holes in the couple end and put a bolt through to ensure they don't dome apart.

There have been too many failures using the fence top rail.

I think Mr. P told me about the net poles. They also come in a nice bag for storage. SHipping was about the same price as the kit.

JR

4 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Go to ebay and type in US Military camoflauge netting. They come with some really nice extremely HD aluminum poles. I paid $40 for the kit. Plenty of poles. Drilled holes in the couple end and put a bolt through to ensure they don't dome apart.

There have been too many failures using the fence top rail.

I think Mr. P told me about the net poles. They also come in a nice bag for storage. SHipping was about the same price as the kit.

JR

The fence upper rail will be more of a guide not structural. Since you have the 1 in structural inside. It’s pretty cheap cost wise. 

I know the military grade netting system. By comparison. I think I am way better. I will do the math and get back. Just a note the military poles are not structural steel but a composite. So with my system by reinforcing with the 1 in should give me an advantage over the composite. Like I said the math once I do it will tell me the truth. But being in the military they weren’t that strong. Broke several. 

But with that being said you made me think that this is perfect for other systems I thought of.

that is why I like this place new or old ideas are shared that gets you thinking.....

Edited by ~DOC~

• The topic was locked