Light-O-Rama Forums

CCP 2-100 pixel strings making a matrix visualization

Rickster

I have been trying to setup a visualization for purposes of sequencing in SS.  The matrix will be 36 pixels by 36 pixels and I will be using Color Cosmic Pixels that I purchased at the spring sale that comes with 2 – 100 pixel strings (Pixie2D).  I have been using the matrix wizard in the Visualizer to set up the matrix but it does not allow one to have 100 pixel strings.  Has anyone worked with the CCP’s with 2 strings of 100 pixels and designed a visualization that can be used in SS for sequencing?  If so, how did you do it?

Rickster, confirm that you are running 3.10.6 software?  That is mighty dated and I will have to put my old times thinking cap on.  It's possible, but will require some ancient remembering.  That was long before 100 pixel strings were available - hence the reason that the software did not support them.  Also, what EXACTLY will be the physical layout?  By that I mean (for example), First string starts in lower left corner and goes left to right on row 1.  At the end of row 1, the string continues right to left on row 2.  At the end of row two the string continues left to right on row three until it ends at the 28th pixel of row 3.   Row 3 resumes with pixel 29 as the first pixel on the second string.  This progression continues through row 36 (right to left) which is pixels 1261 through 1296 leaving 4 unused pixels at the end of the 13th string.  Include your planned LOR Unit IDs as well.

Even with the most recent release which is 4.3.26 the visualizer does not support 100 pixel LOR strings. But there is a workaround.

Create your strings as 100 pixel DMX strings. You can then import them into SuperStar, create your sequence, then export it to the Sequence Editor.

In the Sequence Editor you can add a Pixie device that has 2 strings, each of 100 pixels. Then you can copy/paste the exported 100 pixel DMX strings onto the 2 Pixie strings.

Note that in S5 this will all be addressed. But in S4 that is what you need to do.

k6ccc my version is 4.3.14.

Brian, I will try that tonight.

Thank you both for your help!

I see you have updated your profile with your current software version.  That is a bunch newer...

I see Brian gave you the procedure.  That may sound like a pain, but it isn't.  My first few years I had to do just the reverse where I had to tell Visualizer that I had 12 CCRs and then do the copy and paste routine in SE from the CCRs to my actual E1.31 (DMX) strings.  This was because at least in early versions of S3, there was no DMX strings capability in Visualizer so you had to draw each pixel as a separate fixture.  With 600 pixels on the tree and 360 on the star, that used up almost all of the 1,000 fixture limit at existed in Visualizer.  That was a problem since I sequenced EVERYTHING in SuperStar.  DMX strings got added to Visualizer either late in S3 or with S4 (I don't remember).

Brian, so in the Visualizer am I using the matrix wizard or drawing pixel strings to achieve the 36 pixel high by 36 pixel long matrix?  I tried using the matrix wizard and I got the 36 x 36 design but it only allowed me to use 170 pixel strings and I could not edit the number to 100.  I must be missing something fundamental. 

I did my pixel tree with the Draw Pixel Strings.  In that situation, you can make strings any length you want.

Hmmm, I can't think of an easy way to draw a 36x36 matrix using 100 string pixels. As you say, in the matrix wizard uses DMX strings of 170 pixels. So the only option is to use the Draw Pixel String tool as K6cc mentioned.

You will need to draw each string manually and specify a Universe and starting pixel number. And there will be some strings that will be partial lines. And you will need to make each row be a Prop. And some rows will have two fixtures, and you will want to put the two fixtures into the same prop. This lets superstar know they belong together.  And make sure the direction of the pixels matches how your actual display will be. For example if you have a controller that will be in the middle of two strings, you need pixel 1 to be the pixel that is closest to the controller for both strings and have the pixels increasing from there.

the first string will be 36 pixels using Universe 1 and starting with pixel 65  (Prop name = Row 01)

the second string will be 36 pixels using Universe 1 and starting with pixel 29  (Prop name = Row 02)

the third string will be 28 pixels using Universe 1 and starting with pixel 1  (Prop name = Row 03)

the fourth string will be 8 pixels using Universe 2 and starting with pixel 1  (Prop name = Row 03)

It is hard to describe it all using words, It would be a lot easier to draw a picture. Let me know if the above makes sense.

The first string I am starting with pixel 65 in the lower left corner and ending at the top with pixel 100.  The next string (row being vertical) am I starting at the bottom with 29?  The reason I am asking that question is with the CCP's there is only inches between pixels which means pixel 29 would not be at the bottom.  I understand that this layout is using DMX, so, after I have the visualization completed and have sequenced a song and then export to SE, when I then add the Pixie2 will it arrange the pixels so that the pixel at the bottom of row 2 is actually pixel 64?  Am I making any sense?

Would it be easier for me to not use the CCP's with the 2 - 100 pixel strings and just fabricate the matrix using strings that make setting up the visualization and sequencing in SS easier?  Maybe I ventured into something that is out of my skill level.

Other kinds of strings could be easier to make a visualization, but making the visualization using the CCPs with 2 - 100 pixel strings is doable. I can start making it for you, but I first want to make sure I understand how you want to do it.

Are you planning on having the controllers in the middle of the two strings and have each string go outward from there? And you would probably need to do a "snake" pattern to cover all the rows. Is that how you plan on doing it?

Attached is a  visualization for the bottom 12 rows of a 36x36 matrix. Copy it to:

c:/ (your lightorama folder) / Visualizations / Editor

Take a look at it and confirm this is what you want and I can do the remaining rows.

36x36_matrix_dmx.lee

Brian,

This will work great.  I was going to start bottom left and go up and then snake down the second row but this will work just great!  This is why I only purchase LOR products.  I labored over this for weeks trying to figure it out and was ready to concede this matrix project.  Thank you so very much!

There are not enough words to express my gratitude.  Thank you thank you thank you!!!  This is going to be simply awesome.

You are very welcome. I forgot to mention, when you import the visualization, set "Max Detection Lines" to 36