Light-O-Rama Forums

You Need These Pliers

mpageler

Having the correct tools can simplify7 wiring and display building chores.  While watching a Youtube on another one of my hobbies, I stumbled on these great flush cutting pliers. 

Flush Cutting Pliers 

They will cut zip ties off flush so you don't have that sharp stub left.   Also easier to cut off ties when you can't get the nose of the plier under a tie. 

Just wired up a pixel controlor and was nice to get stripped wire, cut to a precise length for terminal insertions. 

If you do a Amazon search by "flush cutting", a bunch of them at all price ranges. $12 for the ones I bought was a no brainer. 

BTW, also consider getting a pair of automatic wire slippers, less than $20.

I have a couple of pairs of these flush cutters and they are great!

And got these for the wife zip tie gun for rewiring deer and general zip tie uses.

Edited by rcktpwrd
spelling

Hey! You are spilling all the secrets us Electronics Techs have know for years.

Next you will blab  about nibbling tools, greenlee punches, solder wick :o

These are good. My neighbor has them. Let us use them last year when we cut zip ties. I forgot to ask him what they are but this just reminded me. Already bought a 2 pack on eBay.

If your like me and either lose tools or are rough on them, they have a two pack of these on eBay for $19.99 with free shipping. Only 4 lots left though. 

https://ebay.com/itm/263594932403

On 5/19/2018 at 3:25 PM, rcktpwrd said:

I have a couple of pairs of these flush cutters and they are great!

And got these for the wife zip tie gun for rewiring deer and general zip tie uses.

your a trusting man letting your wife have those tools.  If you wake up one morning missing a kidney don't say you weren't warned!! :) 

Edited by caniac
additional info
  • Haha 1

The Hakko's that Rcktp posted are my go-to side cutters, and LOR's as well, when dealing with small gauge wire and trimming leads on PCBs.  They stay very sharp (I'm still on my first 2 pairs), and are inexpensive.  Walking around the LOR factory you will find (literally) a hundred of these exact ones.

You also talked about wire strippers.  I am not a fan of the self adjusting ones, or ones like this.  Unless you already own a pair, don't even bother with these.  Instead I use a pair similar to these (I don't own this particular brand, and I don't remember where I purchased mine from).  The end plate gives you an exact idea of how much you are stripping, and is labeled for correct gauge.  

Also remember that how well a tool works depends on how you like it.  I know people who swear by the pliers looking one (2nd link) and the one I recommend they compare to a medieval torture device.

A good set of tools go a LONG way when DIY-ing.  

I'm of the mind with Mike on this!

I have the Hakko cutters and they are super fine to work with.  I have tried quite a few various manufacturers ones over the years (I'm 65 and have been playing with and working with electronics since I was 11)!

It really does pay to find good quality tools and pay a bit more (IMO) for the easiness and help that they provide.  Also helps keep the fatigue down on your hands when you are doing a lot of cutting, stripping, or repetitious work.  Although on the other hand, as long as you recognize that a tool is getting dull or doesn't work right and will throw it away and get a new one, then you can use just about anything

I use both plain old mini strippers as well as a very expensive set of adjustable strippers (mine were over $200 when I bought them many years ago).  Each has their place and time for me but I agree that many of the cheaper adjustable ones out today are not worth the trouble.  They lose the adjustment or the blades wear out quickly and then you are "fighting the tool" and that makes the job no fun and frustrating.  My adjustable ones (I have had them for a few decades now and don't remember the name as I am not at my house right now) have replaceable cutting blades and several adjustments on them to get them to cut true and right.  I take time every few months to clean, adjust, lubricate, and overall inspect my tools to keep them working in top order.  When I find any tool that bends, breaks, or just doesn't work up to the job, I pitch it and grab a spare one right away.  I refuse to fight with a tool and I still enjoy sitting at my workbench stripping a few dozen wires at a time and making up cables and assemblies for projects!

This DIY should be fun as well as having some challenge to it but using the right (and good) tools makes it easier to enjoy!

Agreed that good tools are well worth the cost.  That is a lesson I learned in reverse from my dad.  He grew up during the great depression (he was born in 1927), so money was ALWAYS very tight.  As a result, even though he always had a job after getting out of the service after WW2, he almost always tended to buy the cheapest tool that would do the job.  That was usually followed by years of bitching about how much of a piece of crap it was.  I pretty much never buy cheap tools as a result.

BTW, either don't start, or get out of the habit of stripping wire with your teeth.  Your dentist will thank you...

• Haha 1