Light-O-Rama Forums

first year rgb dumb nodes - How do I change brightness of lights?

GriswoldStyle

This may sound like a dumb question. I think I may know the answer but will ask anyways as I am not on my laptop today to try it.

I made my colors in the sequence by changing intensities in the software on each red, blue and green channel. I was wondering is there a way to reduce the overall brightness across the entire sequence and not effect the color mixture.. If I had to describe it now, all channels when hitting white color would be at 100% and then just reduced from there to create the colors mixed in rgb. What I am wondering is if I reduce intensity across the channel (say reduce sequence by 30%) on every rgb channel, Will that mess with some of the colors I created? I'm just wondering if there is a trick to keep the colors exactly what they are now and then just change the brightness of it.

Sorry if this is a stupid question. Just wondering how to reduce the overall brightness of the lights without it affecting the colors. Some colors are mixed for example 100% red, 30% blue and 0% for green) If I reduce that say 30% across the entire row, will that change just the brightness or will it reduce the colors and force me to have to recreate the sequence colors For example reducing the row by 30% will that eliminate the 30% on blue and leave me with 70% on red?  Instead of the original 100% red and 30% blue....

If anyone can explain how to do this that would be great. As explained this is my first year with rgb so I'm a little confused or maybe I am just overthinking it. 

I ran this test sequence last night to see if everything was working on the tombstones I cut and made. However everyone in the family said it is way too bright and are concerned it will blind people. After 5 minutes of this song I understand what they mean. I was seeing dots when the song ended lol. Just want to tune the brightness down a bit and dont want to ruin the color creations. The video does it no justice. It is 10 times brighter in person. It was so bright it was lighting up the walls in the room in the back 14 feet behind the tombstones lol.

Edited by GriswoldStyle
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, GriswoldStyle said:

This may sound like a dumb question. I think I may know the answer but will ask anyways as I am not on my laptop today to try it.

I made my colors in the sequence by changing intensities in the software on each red, blue and green channel. I was wondering is there a way to reduce the overall brightness across the entire sequence and not effect the color mixture.. If I had to describe it now, all channels when hitting white color would be at 100% and then just reduced from there to create the colors mixed in rgb. What I am wondering is if I reduce intensity across the channel (say reduce sequence by 30%) on every rgb channel, Will that mess with some of the colors I created? I'm just wondering if there is a trick to keep the colors exactly what they are now and then just change the brightness of it.

Sorry if this is a stupid question. Just wondering how to reduce the overall brightness of the lights without it affecting the colors. Some colors are mixed for example 100% red, 30% blue and 0% for green) If I reduce that say 30% across the entire row, will that change just the brightness or will it reduce the colors and force me to have to recreate the sequence colors For example reducing the row by 30% will that eliminate the 30% on blue and leave me with 70% on red?  Instead of the original 100% red and 30% blue....

If anyone can explain how to do this that would be great. As explained this is my first year with rgb so I'm a little confused or maybe I am just overthinking it. 

I ran this test sequence last night to see if everything was working on the tombstones I cut and made. However everyone in the family said it is way too bright and are concerned it will blind people. After 5 minutes of this song I understand what they mean. I was seeing dots when the song ended lol. Just want to tune the brightness down a bit and dont want to ruin the color creations. The video does it no justice. It is 10 times brighter in person. It was so bright it was lighting up the walls in the room in the back 14 feet behind the tombstones lol.

where did you get the decals for your tombstone

50 minutes ago, caniac said:

where did you get the decals for your tombstone

I made them myself. I run an online decal business.

5 hours ago, Dennis Laff said:

What program are you sequencing in ?

I'm in sequence editor on S4 with advanced license if that helps.

12 hours ago, GriswoldStyle said:

I made them myself. I run an online decal business.

I would interested in two sets of those, have thought about using the RGB tombstones but couldn't get past the plain black.  You have kicked it up a notch.  email me at chet68845@gmail.com

38 minutes ago, caniac said:

I would interested in two sets of those, have thought about using the RGB tombstones but couldn't get past the plain black.  You have kicked it up a notch.  email me at chet68845@gmail.com

And here I was thinking they were too different from everyone else lol...  I just wanted something different instead of the same "RIP" everyone else does. So I tried decals on them instead and it worked out pretty good. I found white vinyl works best in these since it allows it to change colors from the reflection of light. 

Which decals are you interested in?  the skulls or the NBC ones? I made 4 of the nbc ones and I like those better. I am considering doing something different with the 4 skull ones. I'm just not liking the skulls  next to the Nightmare Before Christmas ones. Let me know which ones and I will try to get back to you by tomorrow. Might have to take kids over to Sea World today so may not be available here until late.

The tombstones I made  from black coroplast I bought through signwarehouse online.  I made a decal template of the tombstone with 50 holes then just trimmed all of them with a jigsaw and drilled the node holes.  You can get 10 black sign blanks for $13.80 they are 24" x 18"  Cheap shipping around $10  The 5-7 days shipping is actually around 3-5 days tops. 

Here is the link for the tombstones blanks.  https://www.signwarehouse.com/p/endura-cor-plastic-sign-blanks-24-inch-x-18-inch-black

5 hours ago, GriswoldStyle said:

And here I was thinking they were too different from everyone else lol...  I just wanted something different instead of the same "RIP" everyone else does. So I tried decals on them instead and it worked out pretty good. I found white vinyl works best in these since it allows it to change colors from the reflection of light. 

Which decals are you interested in?  the skulls or the NBC ones? I made 4 of the nbc ones and I like those better. I am considering doing something different with the 4 skull ones. I'm just not liking the skulls  next to the Nightmare Before Christmas ones. Let me know which ones and I will try to get back to you by tomorrow. Might have to take kids over to Sea World today so may not be available here until late.

The tombstones I made  from black coroplast I bought through signwarehouse online.  I made a decal template of the tombstone with 50 holes then just trimmed all of them with a jigsaw and drilled the node holes.  You can get 10 black sign blanks for $13.80 they are 24" x 18"  Cheap shipping around $10  The 5-7 days shipping is actually around 3-5 days tops. 

Here is the link for the tombstones blanks.  https://www.signwarehouse.com/p/endura-cor-plastic-sign-blanks-24-inch-x-18-inch-black

I would like 2-3 sets of all of them.  I am with you and have seen too many of the RIP ones so I have always tried to go a different route on those, would like to add some of your decal ones to this years show.  Have you looked at glow in the dark paint to slather them with, leaves an after glow when the lights are out.

15 hours ago, caniac said:

I would like 2-3 sets of all of them.  I am with you and have seen too many of the RIP ones so I have always tried to go a different route on those, would like to add some of your decal ones to this years show.  Have you looked at glow in the dark paint to slather them with, leaves an after glow when the lights are out.

Honestly have not tried the glow-in-the-dark paint. I was going to do glow in the dark vinyl until I found out it was $350 a roll for 24"x 10 yards. I decided against that. Way too high of a price and not much of a demand for that type of vinyl. For that price I can buy a new lor controller lol.

Let me see how much vinyl it uses I cannot remember offhand how much I used and I will try to quote you this afternoon with the cheapest price I can do with shipping. By both sets did you mean The Nightmare Before Christmas 4 charactors and the skulls 4? The skulls would be cheaper as they use less vinyl. I can fit 2-3 of those into the same amount I use just for one Jack Skellington.

Update: Still trying to figure out how to "dim" the lights in sequence editor. My rgb lights are too bright. I ran some test sequences and the family agreed it is really bright. I want to tone it down a bit. Does anyone know how to reduce the brightness? What I thought would work is not working. Just curious if anyone knows a fast and easy way to reduce the brightness of rgb channels. Is there a button or hidden feature that will allow me to turn down the output brightness? Hence, Dim the lights and use less power?

I tried selecting channel row and reducing intensity by 50% however that did exactly what I was trying to avoid. It changed the purples to blue. Where I created purple by say 30% red intensity and 100% blue in the rgb channels, When reducing the entire rows intensity by 50%, it kills the purple color and turns it blue. Is there a way around this? Like some type of turn down the brightness feature I may be able to do? I have looked around but can't find anything on it. I'm sure someone must have come across this before. I'm new to rgb so hope this isn't something so obvious I should have found it lol.

Edited by GriswoldStyle

I don't have S4 on any operating computer at this time so doing this by memory.  Select a bunch of channels and time.  Right click and there is a menu for adjusting the level.  There are several options.  You can increase or decrease by some percentage, and the more useful one is scale the intensity.  What that will do is take every selected channel command and scale it by the amount you set.  For example if at some point in time, an RGB channel is 80 / 70 / 20 and you scale it 50%, it would end up as 40 / 35 / 10.  You can do this for a single channel for a short period of time up to every channel for the entire sequence.  If you don't know how to select one or more channels for the entire sequence, ask.

If I really have to when I'm at home I can fire up my OLD show computer which has some fairly late S4 version on it.  Also quite willing to get onto the phone and if you have either VNC viewer or TeamViewer you can remote into my computer so you can see it.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

I don't have S4 on any operating computer at this time so doing this by memory.  Select a bunch of channels and time.  Right click and there is a menu for adjusting the level.  There are several options.  You can increase or decrease by some percentage, and the more useful one is scale the intensity.  What that will do is take every selected channel command and scale it by the amount you set.  For example if at some point in time, an RGB channel is 80 / 70 / 20 and you scale it 50%, it would end up as 40 / 35 / 10.  You can do this for a single channel for a short period of time up to every channel for the entire sequence.  If you don't know how to select one or more channels for the entire sequence, ask.

If I really have to when I'm at home I can fire up my OLD show computer which has some fairly late S4 version on it.  Also quite willing to get onto the phone and if you have either VNC viewer or TeamViewer you can remote into my computer so you can see it.

You sir have made my day!!!! The scale feature did it in the visualizer preview. I have not tested the tombstones yet but will plug them up later to double check it but it shows exactly what I wanted to do in the s/e on s4. Then shows it reduced brightness in the visualizer. I was reducing the intensity and not the scale. Scale looks like it was the trick to reduce the brightness.

So if anyone else ever comes across this issue, Select the rows you want to reduce brightness on, then right click. When the menu pops up, Go to "change intensities. Then click on detailed. When the window pops up that reads Change Intensities, Go the the "Operation" drop down and select the "Scale" option. Then set the amount to reduce (in my case I did 50%)

This works!!!!! That you so much @k6ccc I thought for sure I was going to have to re-color all my work.

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/18/2018 at 9:55 AM, GriswoldStyle said:

Cool tombstones.  If I still did Halloween, those are awesome.  

I'm still trying to figure out my Christmas display for 2018 as it is and putting all my energy into that for the most part.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Orville said:

Cool tombstones.  If I still did Halloween, those are awesome.  

I'm still trying to figure out my Christmas display for 2018 as it is and putting all my energy into that for the most part.

When you get your show up and running please keep me posted we go to Orlando quite often and plan on going to see the SeaWorld Christmas display this year. We are only 1.5 hours away.

10 hours ago, GriswoldStyle said:

When you get your show up and running please keep me posted we go to Orlando quite often and plan on going to see the SeaWorld Christmas display this year. We are only 1.5 hours away.

Got some stuff partially done, just waiting on the funds to get the rest of what I'm planning on adding and upgrade my LOR software.

Will let you know, but whatever happens I should have some kind of display up, even if it's not exactly what I'm hoping to get done. ;)

• Like 1

• The topic was locked