Light-O-Rama Forums

No motivation yet - help!

Jaynee

I have been working on revamping old wireframes for the yard but have yet to do any sequencing.  And I'm going from 16 channels to 64, so I have a lot to add in there.  I need to stop putting it off.

• 3 weeks later...

I feel you. I work Monday-Thursday, leave the house at 5:50am and get home around 5:45pm. Then I spend time making dinner, hanging with the wife and 6 month old. Once the baby goes to sleep my wife and I chat and watch a few shows/clean around the house. By that time its 10 or later.

Not to mention we just moved into a new house two months ago so my whole display will basically have to be recreated both sequence wise and infrastructure wise. (all my ext are custom made for the old house) With a 6 month old its hard to get motivated when I know my windows of time to do things are based on her naps. I know eventually I will hit a point where I go into over drive mode and get it all (or most of it) done. 

But right now, the long list of things to do de-motivates me.

37 minutes ago, Protege94 said:

I feel you. I work Monday-Thursday, leave the house at 5:50am and get home around 5:45pm. Then I spend time making dinner, hanging with the wife and 6 month old. Once the baby goes to sleep my wife and I chat and watch a few shows/clean around the house. By that time its 10 or later.

Not to mention we just moved into a new house two months ago so my whole display will basically have to be recreated both sequence wise and infrastructure wise. (all my ext are custom made for the old house) With a 6 month old its hard to get motivated when I know my windows of time to do things are based on her naps. I know eventually I will hit a point where I go into over drive mode and get it all (or most of it) done. 

But right now, the long list of things to do de-motivates me.

With your recent move, take a year off to get organized.  No one will be missing it (except you).  You likely have enough to do with the move...

48 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

With your recent move, take a year off to get organized.  No one will be missing it (except you).  You likely have enough to do with the move...

Honestly I would hate the whole Christmas season if I took off and didn't put out the display. I think my wife would be disappointed too. She always hates all the prep I put into it but then on Thanksgiving night I can always tell that she really enjoys seeing it. Its also kind of turned into a family tradition for my wife and I (and starting last year the baby) to stand in the street on Thanksgiving night and watch the first time the show runs on its own.

Finally after about 5, almost 6 years without power, I'm just going to revise the last Christmas show I did and use that.  Planning on adding RGB lighting and attempting to get some this year, but with all those channels and programming, doubt there will be time to get them in this year.  And hopefully if I acquire the RGB stuff I'm hoping to get, 2019 will be where they will be utilized.   And I'm disabled and retired, but even with that, you can only program so far before you have to "get away from it" for a while....wow, do we really need to get away from it?:unsure: 

Well I know after quite a long set of hours programming I do or I end up looking like this at the keyboard....? :lol:  Anyone else end up like that if they try to get more done than their brain wants to do? :lol:

Well I'll be revising and playing with some RGB lighting to at least learn how to do it, since I've already revise 95% of my Christmas display from years back.   Since I had no power I gave up all my old L.E.D. light strands to our church to use.   So my Christmas display may look a little odd this year with Orange and Purple L.E.D. lights, unless I go and buy some new L.E.D. multi-color strands, then I'll just take out the Orange and Purple strands with them.   Tine will tell.

Well time to get working on that last little %age of sequences I need to revise for this years Christmas 2018 display.

On 6/5/2018 at 4:15 PM, Orville said:

Well I know after quite a long set of hours programming I do or I end up looking like this at the keyboard....? :lol:  Anyone else end up like that if they try to get more done than their brain wants to do? :lol:

I am permanently disabled, not just physically but mentally also according to my friends when it comes to Christmas lighting ?. When I first started a few years ago, I was doing the same. I would spend hours sequencing until I started to get burned out. I found that I do my sequencing every morning, all year long for about an 1 1/2 hours before everyone gets up. I don't get burned out and before I know it I get a lot done.

Tom

Halloween done have 140 done lms pixel tree and matrix now on to Christmas I have 26 I upgraded added matrix 160 to go I do one a day

• 4 weeks later...

My motivation finally arrived!  My spiral tree is currently only white lights, and I've been loathe to program in the hopes that the lights I needed (color and length) would eventually go onsale (typically priced $15/string).  I bought two controllers this year in the sale and hoped to use them almost exclusively for the spiral tree.  Today on a whim I went to Home Depot and found they were on sale for $3.75 per string!  I quickly snapped up red, green and blue as well as some extra white in case the lights currently in use need replacing this year.  They should arrive on Thursday!  

Let the programming begin!  NOW I'm excited about programming...

Jaynee

Those are incandescent not LED. Power hungry. Good luck.

A good price on LED strings is approx 10 cents a bulb or $10.00 for a 100 light string.

Right around the end of September, Walmart starts putting their holiday time LED 100 light strings online for around $5.97 each. That's when I normally start stocking up on mine for the year. Just a thought. Incandescent lights are very power-hungry. Where you can only run four or five strings back to back of incandescent I can run 20 sets of LED and never have an issue with power or heated extension cords. oh how I do not miss the days of a $300 a month increase and the electric bill since I went to LED we literally shaved out bill down to only $50 a month increase in December using LEDs.

now granted those are just the cheap LED mini lights but I've never had an issue with them and a lot of people in the forums use those. But some others would rather prefer the full wave LED lights that are a bit more expensive. Me personally I really don't notice a difference in the lights but my light bill sure does and it's a lot brighter too lol. I started my upgrade to LED back in 2012 as of 2016 all my lights were 100% LED.

Edited by GriswoldStyle

2 hours ago, roverdish said:

Jaynee

Those are incandescent not LED. Power hungry. Good luck.

A good price on LED strings is approx 10 cents a bulb or $10.00 for a 100 light string.

I only use incans in my display.  My electric bill in December only goes up $40-50 for the month, so I'm not worried. ?

2 hours ago, GriswoldStyle said:

Right around the end of September, Walmart starts putting their holiday time LED 100 light strings online for around $5.97 each. That's when I normally start stocking up on mine for the year. Just a thought. Incandescent lights are very power-hungry. Where you can only run four or five strings back to back of incandescent I can run 20 sets of LED and never have an issue with power or heated extension cords. oh how I do not miss the days of a $300 a month increase and the electric bill since I went to LED we literally shaved out bill down to only $50 a month increase in December using LEDs.

now granted those are just the cheap LED mini lights but I've never had an issue with them and a lot of people in the forums use those. But some others would rather prefer the full wave LED lights that are a bit more expensive. Me personally I really don't notice a difference in the lights but my light bill sure does and it's a lot brighter too lol. I started my upgrade to LED back in 2012 as of 2016 all my lights were 100% LED.

I don't string mine together - the ones I bought yesterday will be used on the spiral tree and each string has it's own channel.  In fact, nothing in my display is strung together - I'm fortunate with my set up that each channel has ONE thing plugged in - one set of net flights, or one string of lights, or one star, etc.

And as I said in my other post just now, our bill only goes up $40-50 in December, so it's not a big deal. 

UPDATE on my lights order...

On Saturday UPS rings my doorbell and asks me to open my garage door.  He then proceeds to bring 30 boxes into my garage.  I was flabbergasted and confused.

When I placed my order, all the reviews and questions commented that despite the listing saying the item was a 6-pack of lights, it was actually a single strand.  Armed with that info, I ordered 10 blue, 10 green, 10 red and 2 white (to have on hand in case my spiral tree needed some strings replaced this year). More than enough to upgrade my 8-string spiral tree to have four colors and have some strings left over as necessary. I paid ~$128.

But what was delivered was 10 six-packs of blue, 10 six-packs of green, 10 six-packs of red and 24 strings of white.  So instead of 32 strings, I got 204 strings of lights for $128!!

So now I have more than enough to not only upgrade my spiral tree, but also create a couple more elements if I have the time.  Of course, I don't have enough channels to use them all, but at least I have enough lights to last me for quite a while!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Jaynee said:

UPDATE on my lights order...

On Saturday UPS rings my doorbell and asks me to open my garage door.  He then proceeds to bring 30 boxes into my garage.  I was flabbergasted and confused.

When I placed my order, all the reviews and questions commented that despite the listing saying the item was a 6-pack of lights, it was actually a single strand.  Armed with that info, I ordered 10 blue, 10 green, 10 red and 2 white (to have on hand in case my spiral tree needed some strings replaced this year). More than enough to upgrade my 8-string spiral tree to have four colors and have some strings left over as necessary. I paid ~$128.

But what was delivered was 10 six-packs of blue, 10 six-packs of green, 10 six-packs of red and 24 strings of white.  So instead of 32 strings, I got 204 strings of lights for $128!!

So now I have more than enough to not only upgrade my spiral tree, but also create a couple more elements if I have the time.  Of course, I don't have enough channels to use them all, but at least I have enough lights to last me for quite a while!

Yay for you. Mega strands are in your future.

JR

• The topic was locked