Light-O-Rama Forums

Disco Ball Motor Question

BluMan

Ok, I have a dumb question.  Can one of the plugs on the CTB16PC support operating this motor?

https://www.amazon.com/American-M-Hdac8-Mirror-Ball-Motor/dp/B0009O116Y/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=FN207D14SKBR8CBHAX89

Power Draw: 3rpm 2.8W / .051 amps.

Just an idea since I think it would be pretty cool to have a disco ball come on in some songs.

Type and amp draw should be ok. But this is very small. For an inside display might be good. Outside not so good. By the time you set up spots etc to shine on the mirror ball, many channels used up. Might use those channels to add more strobes or something. Just my uneducated opinion. 

• Thanks 1

You should be fine.  I would just make sure you program it to be on 100% or off 100%.  Not sure if it's "dimmable," it might burn out the motor.  Plus you would need to look into waterproofing the motor casing as well, I doubt it's made for extended outdoor use.

• Thanks 1

All good points...something I need to think about.  My initial thought was to use it under the front porch and use one or two of my 10W floods to shine on it.  I didn't think the effect would shine on the whole yard but give kids and people the disco vibe when they came up to the front porch.

Little_b, that's a very good point.  I was even thinking about pre-starting it up before I shine a light on it as it might take a few seconds to get up to full speed.

Like I said, just a little idea for adding another element to the visualization without spending a whole lot of money.  Thanks!!

100% or 0  only. It probably has a synchronous motor (like old  plugin wall clocks and phonos)

Outdoors If you hang it INSIDE a plastic shelter (upside down tuperware. no lid needed) shelter from rain. I don't think you can make it resistant enough base mounted

• Thanks 1

If you already have the disco ball/lights, I would do a trial run at night without going through a controller. Stand out by the street and see if it is what you expected. You gotta put yourself in the position of the audience to really get a true result.

• Thanks 1

Kinda goes with my question , I am planning to use a bubble machine  that has a wall wart transformer , would only be on and off  during one music track , any thoughts  ????

3 hours ago, DLH lites said:

Kinda goes with my question , I am planning to use a bubble machine  that has a wall wart transformer , would only be on and off  during one music track , any thoughts  ????

Should be just fine. You might want to make the start time earlier since it takes a few seconds to start getting bubbles.

Thanks  Santa  !!! I will give it a test drive when the bubble machine gets here.

David